Bets on if this lasts through deer season?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Cut N Run

Bets on if this lasts through deer season?

Post by Cut N Run »

https://www.wral.com/emu-on-the-loose-i ... /18542136/

This is going on in my town & word is kinda like sighting bigfoot. I feed the deer around my house every day, but haven't seen any signs of Eno yet. A friend of mine's wife saw something big & black, moving fast, though it turned out to be a black bear. I suspect that emu will have a hard time surviving the deer season. If it's been on the loose for better than a month now, it should be right tricky to get close to. What a thing to have walk up on you during turkey season? I actually kinda hope it has nested and we end up with more than a few around here. Maybe that's just me...

Jim
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Bets on if this lasts through deer season?

Post by Hoobilly »

I hear Emu are good eating..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Several years ago while fall turkey hunting at Gobbler's Roast in NY, we encountered an emu while
out looking for birds. Unfortunately, didn't have my camera with me.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

They're meaner than a constipated wolverine. I had great friends lived in apt above mine always pranking each other. Low and behold 2 emus in classified, so badly wanted to buy them places in their apartment when they were in class
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 31st, 2019, 4:43 pm They're meaner than a constipated wolverine. I had great friends lived in apt above mine always pranking each other. Low and behold 2 emus in classified, so badly wanted to buy them places in their apartment when they were in class
Exactly, easily capable of killing a human with a kick !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

hoobilly wrote: July 31st, 2019, 4:21 pm I hear Emu are good eating..
What HOOBILLY said, Google it ! :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I hear they prefer Liberty Mutual Insurance
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

They eat good. Not as fishy as an osprey or great blue heron nor as gamey as a bald eagle!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 31st, 2019, 4:43 pm They're meaner than a constipated wolverine. I had great friends lived in apt above mine always pranking each other. Low and behold 2 emus in classified, so badly wanted to buy them places in their apartment when they were in class
Statute of limitations has likely expired in 40 the years since this went down, so I'll go ahead own it. The last week of high school, some buddy's & I rounded up a bunch of chickens off an abandoned farm and turned them all loose in the school library. How we never got busted is anybody's guess, but we got away with it. Since those birds had been on their own for a couple of months, they were real hard to catch. We were only able to catch them off the farm because many still roosted in the coop & could be trapped. It took the school staff almost all of the next day to catch them.

Jim
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: July 31st, 2019, 5:04 pm They eat good. Not as fishy as an osprey or great blue heron nor as gamey as a bald eagle!
Wanna talk fishy try cormorant tastes like a carp sat in sun for a week. However trumpeter swan is fabulous and feeds an army
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Had one running around near home one turkey season. We'd see it driving down the road headed to wherever we turkey hunted. None of my associates had permission to hunt where it was. I expect whomever owned it finally caught it. I never heard of anyone shooting it even though everyone said they wanted to. I do recall one fella swearing it was really a turkey and I'm pretty sure he trespassed some trying to get it. It's a good thing we never got permission. I hear the Aussies lost a war to those things.

If the Sasketoon restaurant chain is still going, they might still have it on the menu. It ain't beef, but it's close enough to pass fair for sirloin.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: July 31st, 2019, 9:44 pm Had one running around near home one turkey season. We'd see it driving down the road headed to wherever we turkey hunted. None of my associates had permission to hunt where it was. I expect whomever owned it finally caught it. I never heard of anyone shooting it even though everyone said they wanted to. I do recall one fella swearing it was really a turkey and I'm pretty sure he trespassed some trying to get it. It's a good thing we never got permission. I hear the Aussies lost a war to those things.

If the Sasketoon restaurant chain is still going, they might still have it on the menu. It ain't beef, but it's close enough to pass fair for sirloin.
Ive never had it before. now Bison is delicious. so is Elk

had bear and cougar with mountain goat in jerky that a great uncle of mine made and brought to a family reunion. He showed me the different ones so I could try some each. Was young so I don't really remember how it all tasted but I do remember liking the bear.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Here we go again! My wife was on her way back to the house after riding her horse this morning before it got hot (100 degree high in Raleigh today) and she got behind a cable company van driving slowly with flashers on ahead of her. Under the van's clearance she could barely see somebody's shadow slowly walking down the road just in front of the van. After about 150 yards, she saw that somebody actually turned out to be an emu, which walked off the side of the road and cut into the woods that run behind my house. So we've got another emu on the loose around here. I'm not sure who keeps raising & turning these birds out to the wild, because nobody's claimed them & none of the neighbors seem to know where they're coming from. I checked to make sure my trail cameras were up and running this afternoon, maybe I'll catch some emu images.

Jim
firedup

Post by firedup »

Back in the 90's Emu was supposed to be the NEW red meat. The red emu meat is similar in taste and texture to lean beef, but lower in cholesterol, fat, and calories. Had a couple buddies got into the farming thing thinking they were gonna get rich. But....never quite happened. But it does taste pretty darn good.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

I can’t eat mammal meat because of the alpha gal allergy....If an emu walked in front of me I would see it for what it was....a divine gift....and act accordingly.

Of course, I would post the pics on here as well.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I've been checking the trail cameras & nothing different has showed. A couple of new bucks are coming around, but neither one is as exciting as an emu.

Jim

Return to “Gobbler Talk”