Poults

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Poults

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

KIMG0219-01.jpeg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Poults

Post by Hoobilly »

I need to be looking for polts here..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

We just started mowing hay, I hate this time of year. Fawns and nest, F me !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Always good to see poults, this year especially considering the cold/wet spring.
Saw a lone Kentucky hen yesterday no poults. Hopefully the hatch will be good.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

We had two large dead ashes cut adjacent to our front hay field a few weeks ago and my brother and I were dragging out the logs when he drove the tractor and straddled a hen w/12, 2 day old poults. I jumped down and began catching poults while the frantic hen called to her brood and ran about assembling them. I was moving toward the hen w/ two pipping poults in my hands when she jumped on me and began flogging me. I got the poults down with the rest of her brood and she led them all off down the tree lined farm lane. The hen had nested in some high Johnson grass next to our barn and brought off 12 poults from a clutch of 14 eggs. Those poults will have a better chance of survival w/ a gutsy hen like that for a mother. The hen was doing the "broken wing" act, trying to attract us away from her brood when she reacted to the calls of the two poults which I had caught from under the tractor, and immediately charged and jumped on me with flailing wings and feet. Whenever possible, we walk all of our hay fields prior to cutting w/ a 50' flush drag between us (a 55' rope w/ 4" sections of 2" PVC pipe spaced every 10' ). We then mark the nest w/ cane poles tipped w/ surveyors tape and mow a 25'-30' circle around the nest. Over the years our flush drag has saved a lot of turkey nests and fawns.
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

decoykrvr wrote:We had two large dead ashes cut adjacent to our front hay field a few weeks ago and my brother and I were dragging out the logs when he drove the tractor and straddled a hen w/12, 2 day old poults. I jumped down and began catching poults while the frantic hen called to her brood and ran about assembling them. I was moving toward the hen w/ two pipping poults in my hands when she jumped on me and began flogging me. I got the poults down with the rest of her brood and she led them all off down the tree lined farm lane. The hen had nested in some high Johnson grass next to our barn and brought off 12 poults from a clutch of 14 eggs. Those poults will have a better chance of survival w/ a gutsy hen like that for a mother. The hen was doing the "broken wing" act, trying to attract us away from her brood when she reacted to the calls of the two poults which I had caught from under the tractor, and immediately charged and jumped on me with flailing wings and feet. Whenever possible, we walk all of our hay fields prior to cutting w/ a 50' flush drag between us (a 55' rope w/ 4" sections of 2" PVC pipe spaced every 10' ). We then mark the nest w/ cane poles tipped w/ surveyors tape and mow a 25'-30' circle around the nest. Over the years our flush drag has saved a lot of turkey nests and fawns.
I need to remember that. I dont start cutting hay till after 4th of July so I'm not near as hard on nests be it turkey or quail.

On a side not I've seen 3 different broods of poults and 2 broods of quail this far. Hope it holds this summer, may be a dang good quail year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

decoykrvr wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm We had two large dead ashes cut adjacent to our front hay field a few weeks ago and my brother and I were dragging out the logs when he drove the tractor and straddled a hen w/12, 2 day old poults. I jumped down and began catching poults while the frantic hen called to her brood and ran about assembling them. I was moving toward the hen w/ two pipping poults in my hands when she jumped on me and began flogging me. I got the poults down with the rest of her brood and she led them all off down the tree lined farm lane. The hen had nested in some high Johnson grass next to our barn and brought off 12 poults from a clutch of 14 eggs. Those poults will have a better chance of survival w/ a gutsy hen like that for a mother. The hen was doing the "broken wing" act, trying to attract us away from her brood when she reacted to the calls of the two poults which I had caught from under the tractor, and immediately charged and jumped on me with flailing wings and feet. Whenever possible, we walk all of our hay fields prior to cutting w/ a 50' flush drag between us (a 55' rope w/ 4" sections of 2" PVC pipe spaced every 10' ). We then mark the nest w/ cane poles tipped w/ surveyors tape and mow a 25'-30' circle around the nest. Over the years our flush drag has saved a lot of turkey nests and fawns.
I have never seen a hen do the broke wing dance. I hope to see that in person some day . anything like how a killdeer does it???

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: June 13th, 2019, 12:02 am
decoykrvr wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm We had two large dead ashes cut adjacent to our front hay field a few weeks ago and my brother and I were dragging out the logs when he drove the tractor and straddled a hen w/12, 2 day old poults. I jumped down and began catching poults while the frantic hen called to her brood and ran about assembling them. I was moving toward the hen w/ two pipping poults in my hands when she jumped on me and began flogging me. I got the poults down with the rest of her brood and she led them all off down the tree lined farm lane. The hen had nested in some high Johnson grass next to our barn and brought off 12 poults from a clutch of 14 eggs. Those poults will have a better chance of survival w/ a gutsy hen like that for a mother. The hen was doing the "broken wing" act, trying to attract us away from her brood when she reacted to the calls of the two poults which I had caught from under the tractor, and immediately charged and jumped on me with flailing wings and feet. Whenever possible, we walk all of our hay fields prior to cutting w/ a 50' flush drag between us (a 55' rope w/ 4" sections of 2" PVC pipe spaced every 10' ). We then mark the nest w/ cane poles tipped w/ surveyors tape and mow a 25'-30' circle around the nest. Over the years our flush drag has saved a lot of turkey nests and fawns.
I have never seen a hen do the broke wing dance. I hope to see that in person some day . anything like how a killdeer does it???
I've seen it Sandhills do it alot
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Exactly like kill deer
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

My taxidermist near Mayville text me a pic last week of him holding a 1 or 2 day old poult he caughtwhen he was brushing his trails and came up on 2 flocks together .. mama wasn't happy and stay out of sight givin' him heck :o
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shiloh wrote: June 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm Exactly like kill deer
That would be cool to see

quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I have not seen any Poults yet here in New York.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Hadn’t seen any here yet on my place either.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Weird just saw a mixed flock 30
Hoobilly