Shooting hen turkeys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shiloh

Re: Shooting hen turkeys

Post by Shiloh »

Timbr......how dare you mock one of the elite turkey killing purist!?!?!?
Roy

Post by Roy »

D9639FC3-1362-462A-A635-C90D3D79FB28.jpeg
The good days!
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I can't help myself I have friends that are flyfisherman and boy do they get mad when I show up with worms and a baitcast rod and reel. Almost as bad as my old moose hunting buddies when I showed up with some mechs in moose camp oh man talk about rusting feathers up !! :blackeye:
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

You can't fix stupidity of some hunters!
toasty

Post by toasty »

I don't think that there was anything unethical in that video. Guy wanted to shoot a bearded hen that was legal. Made a good sneak and shot the bird and got some interesting video footage. Even though I would not have shot that bird, I enjoyed the video. It I had access to that property which clearly had a good number of turkeys on it, I would have held out for a nice tom. Just because it is not something the OP or I would do doesn't make it unethical. So you're saying jump shooting ducks is unethical as well?

On a side note, I shot a bearded hen on a fall hunt a couple years ago. Tags for this hunt were either sex and issued to reduce turkey populations in the neighboring towns. I was hunting with my 4 year old and we had been shut out all day and he was ready to call it a day. A bearded hen walked out in front of us as part of a flock of 50-60 hens and I shot it. It was a 7in beard nice beard. The fan and beard of that bird still hangs in his bedroom to this day. He thought it was the best and nothing unethical about that hunt.
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

Shiloh wrote:Timbr......how dare you mock one of the elite turkey killing purist!?!?!?
Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

toasty

Post by toasty »

Looks like someone got the boot.
Last edited by toasty on June 4th, 2019, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I never intimated that I had a problem w/ someone jump shooting ducks. However, there is a vast difference w/ jump shooting ducks or geese and sluicing them while they are sitting/sleeping on the water. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has hunted has probably done something while hunting in their past which they regret and wouldn't do now, and as a friend of mine said, "I used to s--t in my pants ,but as I grew older, I learned better, and quit." This past season, when I asked the landowner if anyone had harvested a gobbler this season on his property he replied, "Yea, So and So, a seasoned turkey hunter, killed a jake cause he said that he wanted to have one this year on the books." Like a lot of turkey hunters, I'm long past "killing a jake for the books." I'm not an elitist, I killed a fair amount of jakes as a beginning turkey hunter and was understandably proud of my success, but as my skill level has matured, so has my desire to let young gobblers and bearded hens walk. According to the late Lovette Williams, Jr., about 2-4 percent of hens have beards, and " A bearded hen is just as important to the population's productivity as is a beardless hen." I had a bearded bird work to calling this past season, and as I looked at the turkey through binoculars thought that the "jake" sure sounded like a hen. I realized what I was dealing with and called the bird to within 15 feet, and as I examined her spurless legs silently hoped that she would sucessfully nest this spring. The real difference between "seasoned" hunters and "nimrods" is the true/pure enjoyment of the hunt which doesn't have to culminate w/ a kill/harvest to be sucessful.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

longspurs.. You are the master of assumption!!
You’re personal attacks are neither wanted nor warranted. Grow up!! :dontknow:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
aristico

Post by aristico »

Looks like someones days are numbered on here...
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

Hognutz wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 3:54 pm longspurs.. You are the master of assumption!!
You’re personal attacks are neither wanted nor warranted. Grow up!! :dontknow:
X2
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

aristico wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm Looks like someones days are numbered on here...
We can only hope.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure timbrhuntr killed a long beard one time, maybe even two.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

I thought all the butt hurt people were on 'ol gobbler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Who cares!!! 🤪😉
Edit:::: I’ve never killed a bearded hen. Let several walk even though legal. No desire to kill hens in spring. I haven’t killed one in fall in a long long long time. But why I say who cares is all this does is start arguments. So who cares. Lol. I’m sure THP is gonna keep pumping them videos out without everybodys consent here. Lol. They hunt the way they hunt and everybody else does to. :thumbleft:
Last edited by OLE RASPY on June 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Man JDJ......I read this same post over there and you are right!! Those guys took it to a new level and it apparently got pulled by the mods. I doubt Aaron and them will apologize too much for the hen killing, but I don't know. I think they are gonna talk about it in a video or a pod cast coming up. They will do what they need to do to keep their viewers happy though......I do know that.
simpzenith

Post by simpzenith »

Believe Jake when he says the turkey population is not hurting in WI. In fact, one might say they are overpopulated in many areas and there are definitely too many hens running around, that's for sure.
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com
2018 MN State Turkey Calling Champion
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

decoykrvr wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 3:32 pm I never intimated that I had a problem w/ someone jump shooting ducks. However, there is a vast difference w/ jump shooting ducks or geese and sluicing them while they are sitting/sleeping on the water. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has hunted has probably done something while hunting in their past which they regret and wouldn't do now, and as a friend of mine said, "I used to s--t in my pants ,but as I grew older, I learned better, and quit." This past season, when I asked the landowner if anyone had harvested a gobbler this season on his property he replied, "Yea, So and So, a seasoned turkey hunter, killed a jake cause he said that he wanted to have one this year on the books." Like a lot of turkey hunters, I'm long past "killing a jake for the books." I'm not an elitist, I killed a fair amount of jakes as a beginning turkey hunter and was understandably proud of my success, but as my skill level has matured, so has my desire to let young gobblers and bearded hens walk. According to the late Lovette Williams, Jr., about 2-4 percent of hens have beards, and " A bearded hen is just as important to the population's productivity as is a beardless hen." I had a bearded bird work to calling this past season, and as I looked at the turkey through binoculars thought that the "jake" sure sounded like a hen. I realized what I was dealing with and called the bird to within 15 feet, and as I examined her spurless legs silently hoped that she would sucessfully nest this spring. The real difference between "seasoned" hunters and "nimrods" is the true/pure enjoyment of the hunt which doesn't have to culminate w/ a kill/harvest to be sucessful.
Nimrod means hunter so are you saying some are seasoned nimrods and others just regular good ole hunters very confusing !!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

simpzenith wrote: June 4th, 2019, 8:46 am Believe Jake when he says the turkey population is not hurting in WI. In fact, one might say they are overpopulated in many areas and there are definitely too many hens running around, that's for sure.
X2
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Also if the hunt doesn't have to culminate in a kill why are you hunting again confused. I have a few people I know from up north that eat and often rely on hunting and game to suplement their food supply guess they are nimrods they expect a kill ! I used to do a lot of hunting with a camera its fun too !!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

In Michigan in the fall in the southern zone you can buy a tag a day for like 60 days and shoot any sex thats a lot of hens and gobblers. I have had times where I had 7 toms in front of me or at least 20 hens and man what a bag count I could have had those days. I know my buddy would have killed as many as he had tags and filled his freezer.

A bigger problem for me is do we now trust game managers as we used to or do we make are own rules because everything seems to be political now when you start saying you shouldn't do something because its legal but unethical then why can't I do it the other way. There are lots of hens in Wisconsin why can't I just kill them all the game managers don't know what they are doing anyway !!!!
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I should have clarified. In North American Literature with no Biblical reference, according to Webster, Nimrod, is North American slang for an inept person.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I wonder why they don't open a hen season two weeks prior to gobblers season. It would help with all this henned up talk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 4th, 2019, 5:32 pm I wonder why they don't open a hen season two weeks prior to gobblers season. It would help with all this henned up talk
That would work really good for at least one season..

:LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

decoykrvr wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 3:32 pm I never intimated that I had a problem w/ someone jump shooting ducks. However, there is a vast difference w/ jump shooting ducks or geese and sluicing them while they are sitting/sleeping on the water. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has hunted has probably done something while hunting in their past which they regret and wouldn't do now, and as a friend of mine said, "I used to s--t in my pants ,but as I grew older, I learned better, and quit." This past season, when I asked the landowner if anyone had harvested a gobbler this season on his property he replied, "Yea, So and So, a seasoned turkey hunter, killed a jake cause he said that he wanted to have one this year on the books." Like a lot of turkey hunters, I'm long past "killing a jake for the books." I'm not an elitist, I killed a fair amount of jakes as a beginning turkey hunter and was understandably proud of my success, but as my skill level has matured, so has my desire to let young gobblers and bearded hens walk. According to the late Lovette Williams, Jr., about 2-4 percent of hens have beards, and " A bearded hen is just as important to the population's productivity as is a beardless hen." I had a bearded bird work to calling this past season, and as I looked at the turkey through binoculars thought that the "jake" sure sounded like a hen. I realized what I was dealing with and called the bird to within 15 feet, and as I examined her spurless legs silently hoped that she would sucessfully nest this spring. The real difference between "seasoned" hunters and "nimrods" is the true/pure enjoyment of the hunt which doesn't have to culminate w/ a kill/harvest to be sucessful.
I sluice em on the water. 😁 If you just like to eat ducks a few times a year that's how it's done. Sneaking up on them buggers ain't always easy.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”