Drill and tap Benelli 28gauge

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

I am thinking of buying either a Benelli ethos 28gauge or an ultra light 28. Does anyone have theirs drilled and taped? I want to have it set up like my M2 20s. Don’t want to go the speed need route. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
jryser

Re: Drill and tap Benelli 28gauge

Post by jryser »

Rob Roberts is doing my UL 28 for a vortex venom. Using the 336 marlin mount (Burris). I’ll let you know when she’s back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

Yes please do!! Thanks!
toasty

Post by toasty »

Mater348 wrote: May 14th, 2019, 8:27 pm I am thinking of buying either a Benelli ethos 28gauge or an ultra light 28. Does anyone have theirs drilled and taped? I want to have it set up like my M2 20s. Don’t want to go the speed need route. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
The top piece of the receiver of the benelli UL 28ga comes apart from the rest of the receiver. It is a little lightweight aluminum piece that could be sent first class in the mail to be tapped. The downside to that is that piece has a little bit of movement even when put together. I initially thought of tapping it, however, I worried about how consistent my dot would be on that piece. I ended getting a speed bead for $20 and did a little mod. Drilled a hole to make it fit on the receiver pins and then ground around the ends. Here is a pic of my FF on my speed bead. Took 10 minutes to mod with a grinder and it has been solid for 2 years.
jryser

Post by jryser »

toasty wrote:
Mater348 wrote: May 14th, 2019, 8:27 pm I am thinking of buying either a Benelli ethos 28gauge or an ultra light 28. Does anyone have theirs drilled and taped? I want to have it set up like my M2 20s. Don’t want to go the speed need route. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
The top piece of the receiver of the benelli UL 28ga comes apart from the rest of the receiver. It is a little lightweight aluminum piece that could be sent first class in the mail to be tapped. The downside to that is that piece has a little bit of movement even when put together. I initially thought of tapping it, however, I worried about how consistent my dot would be on that piece. I ended getting a speed bead for $20 and did a little mod. Drilled a hole to make it fit on the receiver pins and then ground around the ends. Here is a pic of my FF on my speed bead. Took 10 minutes to mod with a grinder and it has been solid for 2 years.
Which model speedbead did you get? Did you use a dremel to grind? I like this idea.

Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

Thanks for the feedback! I may have to go that route if I go with the ultralight. I wonder if the Ethos is the same way?
toasty

Post by toasty »

I used the beretta speed bead which is designed for their 12ga, but there are several that would also work. The Remington will not work, you need one with a flange. Mount it up and trace the stock outline and grind it down to fit and you are good to go. I used a drill press for the hole and a grinding wheel, but a dremel would also work.
jryser

Post by jryser »

toasty wrote:I used the beretta speed bead which is designed for their 12ga, but there are several that would also work. The Remington will not work, you need one with a flange. Mount it up and trace the stock outline and grind it down to fit and you are good to go. I used a drill press for the hole and a grinding wheel, but a dremel would also work.
Thanks Toasty. You are always a big help for us on the forum so I’ll get on this today!! I actually have a speedbead coming for my Beretta! Lol

Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

Jrsyer, are you still having Rob Roberts drill and tap yours? Thanks for the feedback
jryser

Post by jryser »

Mater348 wrote:Jrsyer, are you still having Rob Roberts drill and tap yours? Thanks for the feedback
I actually decided to go with a speed bead and modify. The top aluminum is a little unsteady like Toasty said / I’m sure it’d be fine but I got a speedbead specific for Benelli UL, ill likely have to shape it a bit. I’ll send pics!

*update - the top “cover” is actually very solid when all is put together.

Last edited by jryser on May 16th, 2019, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

Thanks Jryser!
Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

AAE4F625-FE9F-4F50-98E8-5507EA2DDA8A.png
. I did see this online if a 28 gauge U/L with a 336 mount on it
toasty

Post by toasty »

That does look slick.
jryser

Post by jryser »

Man it does!! Well the good news is I will have some options!!!

jryser

Post by jryser »

Decided to use the 336 mount for my WinSXP 20 and will put the speedbead on the 28! Here is the modified mount:
ImageImage
ROCK solid.

Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

Looks good!
jryser

Post by jryser »

Mater348 wrote:Looks good!
It’s rock solid too. Thanks Mater!

jryser

Post by jryser »

Back to the UL 28: I put a speedbead made for Benelli UL and added a Vortex Venom. UNREAL how nice this is!!
ImageImage

jryser

Post by jryser »

Speed bead headed back to where I bought it. Just didn’t stay rock solid. Off enough to have no confidence in it. Going to drill and tap the top. Seems very solid!

jhogue

Post by jhogue »

jryser wrote:Speed bead headed back to where I bought it. Just didn’t stay rock solid. Off enough to have no confidence in it. Going to drill and tap the top. Seems very solid!

I put a speed bead on my Maxus and had heard different things about them moving. Thus far mine hasn't moved. If it ever does, I'll ditch it quick.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

jryser

Post by jryser »

jhogue wrote:
jryser wrote:Speed bead headed back to where I bought it. Just didn’t stay rock solid. Off enough to have no confidence in it. Going to drill and tap the top. Seems very solid!

I put a speed bead on my Maxus and had heard different things about them moving. Thus far mine hasn't moved. If it ever does, I'll ditch it quick.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
To be fair, the speed bead was for a different gauge. I’ll update once the receiver is drilled and tapped. Likely put a weaver base on since it will bed better.

toasty

Post by toasty »

My speed bead on my 28UL moved once after my gun fell off of my 4 wheeler. I was a little flakey for a few shots until I removed the set screw and all was good again. I now run it without the set screw. I have since punished it for 2 more seasons with out any issues. The best thing about it is my red dot is located exactly on top of my sight so if it were to ever move, it would be easily seen. I do check it every hunt to make sure the dot is good to go.
jryser

Post by jryser »

toasty wrote:My speed bead on my 28UL moved once after my gun fell off of my 4 wheeler. I was a little flakey for a few shots until I removed the set screw and all was good again. I now run it without the set screw. I have since punished it for 2 more seasons with out any issues. The best thing about it is my red dot is located exactly on top of my sight so if it were to ever move, it would be easily seen. I do check it every hunt to make sure the dot is good to go.
That’s how I noticed mine flaked! Regardless I already sent it back so between you and me we will have stable sight mounts! I hate to admit it but I bought a second receiver cover so my original will stay that way. The gunsmith and I will figure out best mount but I’ll post pics anyway. I wonder if the set screw “screwed me up” with it!? [emoji12]

Mater348

Post by Mater348 »

Jryser, can’t wait to see pics of it drilled and taped!
jryser

Post by jryser »

Mater348 wrote:Jryser, can’t wait to see pics of it drilled and taped!
I’ll have em up my friend!

Return to “Small Bore”