snake bites anyone?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
willie

snake bites anyone?

Post by willie »

any body here ever been bitten by a poisonous snake.if so what kind and what was the experience like.
WAGinVA

Re: snake bites anyone?

Post by WAGinVA »

Bit on the toe by a copperhead. Very painful and significant swelling. Had to keep my foot elevated for 5 days. Whenever I got up my foot immediately swelled. Took about 5 weeks until was all the way back to normal.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I got bit by a 18" Copperhead on the heel of my right hand when I was 19 yrs old. (Yes, I was playing with it) I immediately sucked the bite and then soaked it in diesel fuel. I worked on a farm and the diesel was handy and seemed like a good idea at the time. It hurt like hell for several days, but there were no other complications. I suspect it was a pretty dry bite because I had been handling him for a little while and I think it was more of a reactionary bite than a defensive one.
Ultimate Predator
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Got bit by a small rattlesnake once, snake died within minutes
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Got popped by the same copperhead twice while before I knew what was going on, while I was digging ginseng. My snakebm boots saved me
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Been hit twice by large cottonmouths, but both times had on snake chaps.

A girl my wife is friends with got hit by a copperhead and had a miserable time and a very expensive hospital stay.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Bit above the ankle by a 29" copperhead in my own garage. I was wearing tall rubber boots and my leg was towards the back of the boot. He punctured the boot and venom was on my Levi's. He died by a blow from a hockey stick.

Jim
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

My hunting buddy was bitten on the ankle by a timber rattler a few years ago. Pain almost made him pass out. In the hospital the leg began swelling from the bite site and slowly worked its way up his leg. They flew in the required antivenin but did not want to use it if possible due to the potential for very serious side effects. But as the swelling made it to the top of his thigh he began to get worried about the boys and told them to go ahead and use the very expensive antivenin. Spent a week in the hospital, two weeks in a wheelchair, and another two weeks on crutches. He is of course now deathly afraid of snakes.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Incredible stories everyone. Got bit as a very young boy by a boa constrictor that a kid scared me with. You want to see a berserk "Fight or Flight" reaction, let me see any snake at all :violent1: !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I've been lucky and never bitten, but I can still jump like a track star and scream like a little girl if I'm surprised by a snake up close.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

I’ve often wondered how close I have come to unseen snakes over the years while walking hundreds of miles in the sometimes dark woods. How many times maybe a snake has struck out and whacked my knee high boots without me knowing. Reading these posts seems like wearing rubber boots as a matter of course is the right way to go.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

While squirrel hunting over 50 years ago, I was struck in the leather boot by a small copperhead as I sat on a log scanning the trees. My boot got struck and I looked down to see the snake strike again. I jumped up and ran a few yards down the ridge when I heard thrashing in the leaves around my left foot and realized the snake's fang had penetrated the leather and was hooked on my boot. I did a "Mexican Hat Dance" on the snake then ripped off my boot and sock to check my ankle which fortunately wasn't penetrated. However, I was bitten by a small copperhead on the leg a few years ago when I stepped on him in the dark while wearing sandals. A trip to the ER, numerous blood pressure checks and no swelling confirmed that it was a dry bite. The ER Doc, who had just recently come to the hospital from Bluefield, W. Va, had seen a lot of copperhead and timber rattler bites and was very concerned about giving me a tetanus booster and kept me in the ER for over 8 hours for observation. The bite site developed a slight infection and I ended up with a small nickel shaped depression on my leg. I really like snakes, have not harmed one in over 45 years, and will catch and relocate both poisonous and non-poisonous snakes whenever necessary.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A man I know didn't want to hassle with snake boots one day while deer hunting from stand and was on his way back in the dark to where he parked and was snake-bitten by a rattler. He spent days in the hospital. The chances of getting bit by a snake are probably less than getting struck by lightning, but I still don't fly kites in electrical storms. If you have snake boots or leggings, wear'em. What put me back in snake boots was when a buddy shot a bird and reached down to grab him while he flopped and an unseen timber rattler struck at the flopping turkey. He hasn't been out of snake boots since then. The rattler struck the wrong animal which wasn't holding a shotgun.
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

Not to hijack, but anyone have experience with turtle skin gaiters?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

brobi9 wrote: April 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm Not to hijack, but anyone have experience with turtle skin gaiters?
I wear them over my LeChameau Chasseurs. I like them. Gil
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

GLS wrote: April 14th, 2019, 6:31 pm
brobi9 wrote: April 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm Not to hijack, but anyone have experience with turtle skin gaiters?
How loud are they?
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

VENOMOUS....not POISONOUS. Just a pet peeve of mine!!!
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

brobi9 wrote: April 14th, 2019, 8:21 pm
GLS wrote: April 14th, 2019, 6:31 pm
How loud are they?
They sound about like a windbreaker when rubbed together. I wore mine under my hunting pants there very light and you’ll forget your wearing them. I ended up getting someone to cover them in soft camo material now I wear them on the outside of pants

Return to “Gobbler Talk”