Permethrin

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Skimerhorn

Permethrin

Post by Skimerhorn »

Picked up a bottle last night, gonna treat my clothes about w week before the season. Do any of you guys treat your vests to? I was considering spraying mine
firedup

Re: Permethrin

Post by firedup »

I treat anything that touches anything. That includes hat, boot tops, gloves... Lymes and RSF is not a joke.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Decoy too if you use one and are gonna put it into your vehicle or vest.
coconut

Post by coconut »

How long does it last on clothes?
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Go to tsc buy concentrate dilute
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

firedup wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 8:09 pm I treat anything that touches anything. That includes hat, boot tops, gloves... Lymes and RSF is not a joke.
Me too. Including my emptied out vest.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm Go to tsc buy concentrate dilute
What ratio do you use in mixing?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

It will allegedly survive 6 washings, but with diminishing effectiveness. Dryer heat is destructive of its potency. I air dry after washing. I don't wash my turkey duds often during the season, but when I do, I refresh with the spray. Sawyers recommends storage of clothes in a plastic bag which is something I don' t do.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I treat anything that will soak it up.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Funny, I read an article last evening in my new issue of the NWTF turkey magazine. It was on preventing ticks and bites. They recommended spraying your clothes inside and out with the Permethrin, but not on your body. I've always just sprayed the outside, but this year I will be turning them inside out and coating both sides. As far as you body, they recommended PICARIDIN lotion or spray, it comes in different applications. I will also be picking some of this up and putting it on my skin each morning. Below is a link to Amazon with an example.

Just passing along my .02,

Kevin

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... 4617&psc=1
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have several bottles of the concentrate in the barn for cattle flies and termites. The permethrin portion doesn’t really concern me but the “ other ingredients “ sounds sketchy. Don’t want to be seeing pink turkeys run by due to chemical poisoning.
longwalker

Post by longwalker »

I dont go into the woods without it in the spring....went listening this morning in my street clothes and had a tick crawling on my hand when I got back to the house and it was in the low 40's!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Tried picaridin years ago. Doesn't work. 40% DEET has always worked.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My son attended UGA's campus in Costa Rica years ago. Most of the students wanted "natural" repellants and took citronella, etc.. Sam took the 99.9% Deet spray pump. After the other students watched the orientation video showing what a Bot fly did to folks when it emerged from the human body like The Alien, they couldn't get enough of Sam's deet.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Thought I would add this. I don't normally wash my outer hunting clothes till after season. Unless they get really bad. A little grubbiness in the knees and ace don't bother me none. BUT I do several "sets" (pants, shirts, t shirts and my jacket) before season and bag them up in plastic bag separately. That way they ARE easy to find. Rain or wading in water kills the effectiveness but you need to get pretty wet. Like soaked. Lite drizzles and it still seems to be good. Just my experience.
fnsup

Post by fnsup »

Turkinator wrote: March 4th, 2019, 8:14 am
ICDEDTURKES wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm Go to tsc buy concentrate dilute
What ratio do you use in mixing?
Like many of the individuals above, I treat the outside of all of my clothes in addition to my turkey vest. I also treat my boots as well. The effectiveness of Permethrin is supposed to be approximately 6 weeks or 6 washings. That is in accordance to whats advertised when using Sawyers Permethrin. I personally purchased a bottle of Martins Permethrin 10% concentrate. I then dilute using the ratio of 1 ounce of 10% Permethrin concentrate to 19 ounces of water (1 part 10% concentrate and 19 parts water) to produce a 0.5% Permethrin solution which is the same as what you would find in Sawyers Permethrin. Here's a good resource for more information on how to dilute concentrated permethrin: https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/
Last edited by fnsup on March 6th, 2019, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MK-M-GOBL

Post by MK-M-GOBL »

everything a tick can climb on!
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I do treat my vest. Take everything out. Friction calls may not like it cuz it goes on “oily” but dries fast.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

CamoMan4025 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm Funny, I read an article last evening in my new issue of the NWTF turkey magazine. It was on preventing ticks and bites. They recommended spraying your clothes inside and out with the Permethrin, but not on your body. I've always just sprayed the outside, but this year I will be turning them inside out and coating both sides. As far as you body, they recommended PICARIDIN lotion or spray, it comes in different applications. I will also be picking some of this up and putting it on my skin each morning. Below is a link to Amazon with an example.

Just passing along my .02,

Kevin

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... 4617&psc=1
I picked up 4 cans of this stuff on clearance the other day for $1/can at Walmart. Oh well I'll use it on my skin and Permethrin on the inside and outside of my clothes. Hopefully that will cover it.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I use Duration permethrin concentrate that I get from Travelers Supply. Its a bit more expensive up front, but it makes more batches and costs less than Sawyers in the long run. I use it on my hunting clothes and on the clothes I wear to travel to the tropics. Since I started using Duration and DEET I haven't had to worry about getting bit by mosquitoes.

I got Falciparum Malaria from a mosquito bite in the Philippines in 1989 and it made me as sick as I've ever been. I lost 17 pounds (I weighed 165 at the start), was barely conscious for a week, and it dang near killed me. Fortunately, Falciparum is the only strain of malaria that is non-recurring and it will never affect me again. I love the fact that Permethrin kills ticks and chiggers. Permethrin and a ThermaCell together work like magic at keeping those flying hypodermics away too.

In Indonesia and Papua New Guinea they have a device (called a HIT) that plugs into the wall and heats mats like a ThermaCell, but it works off 220 Volt house current instead of butane cartridges. It does a great job keeping the skeeters at bay. I still use a mosquito net over the bed for when the power goes out.

Jim
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Permethrin and thermacell dont go without both.
"INFIDEL"
toasty

Post by toasty »

I am thankful to live in a place with few ticks. I have never treated my clothes or wore repellent. After 30 years in the woods, I got my first tick 3 years ago. I bought and sprayed my gear with permethrin at that time and haven't since. Guess I need to re-spray them.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”