Quiet slate pot call

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Quiet slate pot call

Post by coconut »

I am wanting to find me a slate type pot call that is a little louder than the old lynch jet type calls. Can anyone recommend a good sounding quiet one? I have a halloran glass call and it makes a nice yelp but I feel like I am screaming at the turkey with it. While we are talking about slates does the way or type of sanding have any influence on the volume?
RapscallionVermilion

Re: Quiet slate pot call

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Any good slate should be able to run soft. A Lonzo bird's eye maple slate would be a good choice. I only condition slate with Scotch-Brite, so can't help you there. Biggest difference for me is the choice of striker. I have a Fowler dogwood striker that runs real nice for softer stuff on slate. I like persimmon too.
BirdCatcher

Post by BirdCatcher »

I really like the Woodhaven Legend slate call. It can do some nice soft talking but has good volume also when needed.
“What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

I have a sneed tree talker I can get really quiet on
firedup

Post by firedup »

Try putting some tape over the holes on the bottom. One at a time or all. It should tone it down a fuzz. But if you can find a slate over slate or slate over wood they will be much quieter than slate over glass most are making. Striker will tone it down also. A softer wood like cherry, walnut, sycamore, ect.
Ctrize

Post by Ctrize »

Firedup has a good idea put your ear up to those holes and you will feel the amount of sound that comes out. I get good soft tones from ceramic and copper.
Mad_Baron

Post by Mad_Baron »

Sound like you are looking for a slate pocket player from Madhatter, Redbeard, or also one of his 3" slate calls. I also make some smaller slate that can be played soft. I do not think the sanding of slate effects volume but the pressure you apply when calling does for sure.

John, Mad Baron Custom Calls

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John Haines
Mad Baron Calls
Ctrize

Post by Ctrize »

The softest I have used are purr pots the Wood haven.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Your technique in running it can tone it down or ramp it up.
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

I can’t say what brand call will play softer but I usually hold the pot against my stomach or leg to dampen the sound for soft clucks and yelps. Takes a little practice to get the right pressure with the striker to make a good sound though
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Soft wood striker

Return to “Gobbler Talk”