Spooking turkeys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Spooking turkeys

Post by coconut »

With the spring seasons getting close what are some ways y’all see people spooking turkeys. I know here we have people that go out scouting with there callers.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Spooking turkeys

Post by timbrhuntr »

I love going out scouting with my callers . I even do it in the fall ! :LMAO:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I spook them 2-3 times before I killm 😂
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I dress like a bush and spook the crap out of them when they get to close.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
coconut

Post by coconut »

Some folks even tote there gun too
coconut

Post by coconut »

No wonder they aren’t gobbling. Y’all are prankin them. Don’t have enough where I hunt to do foolish stuff.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Cur pup scattered that flock of hens pretty good this morning...

I'd break it, but I'm kinda thinking he could make a turkey cur.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Nothing wrong with going out early and call a few in and take a blast there direction with a blank shell, it will condition them for open season and keeps them from spooking easy.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

howl wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:43 pm Cur pup scattered that flock of hens pretty good this morning...

I'd break it, but I'm kinda thinking he could make a turkey cur.
See now I'd take 12 people out calling early compared to one dog running them especially here in the winter where they can't afford to use up their last reserves being chased by a dog for no reason !
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I don't think calling to turkeys before the season is bad...as long as the turkeys don't see you.
Ultimate Predator
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:47 pm I don't think calling to turkeys before the season is bad...as long as the turkeys don't see you.
exactly!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
coconut

Post by coconut »

MKW wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:47 pm I don't think calling to turkeys before the season is bad...as long as the turkeys don't see you.
That’s one of the problems around here. Getting in and out of the woods without disturbing them.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Generally speaking, I think calling to them before the season is a bad idea. However, there are "degrees" to "calling to them". Calling to a bird a long ways off to get him to let you know he is around,...and then leaving,...is one thing. Calling a bird in close enough to make him become suspicious is another altogether.

In my younger years in that youthful state of ignorance of being a new turkey hunter that thought it was cool to call in gobblers, I would go out before the season to call in and film them. It didn't take me long to learn that the turkeys I called in before the season consistently became much more difficult to call in when the season started,...while birds that I hadn't called were not. Even us dumbass New Mexicans can put two and two together and come up with four... :toothy7:
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

A couple thoughts on this. I have and will continue to go out and scout before the season. There are many scouting trips that I will run calls and call to turkeys...I don't always call while scouting but I think practicing your calls in the comfort of your home or vehicle is no where near the same as being set up on a turkey in the woods. It's hard to get a feel for the volume of your calling and how to run your calls while being set up in an awkward position unless you practice in the woods. A hunter needs to be mindful of how they are getting in and out of the area they're hunting, especially important early in the season. I don't like the early part of the season nearly as much as the later part of the season because of the lack of foliage...I feel like a turd in the punch bowl.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

GobbleNut wrote: February 10th, 2019, 9:39 am Generally speaking, I think calling to them before the season is a bad idea. However, there are "degrees" to "calling to them". Calling to a bird a long ways off to get him to let you know he is around,...and then leaving,...is one thing. Calling a bird in close enough to make him become suspicious is another altogether.
Agreed. I don't have to worry about messing up the turkeys before the season because I never scout before the season comes in, but I'm sure that there are plenty of folks out there doing stupid stuff. I can't control it because I hunt 99% public.
Ultimate Predator
firedup

Post by firedup »

I don't call before season any more. Just seems like a poor plan to me. But I do go out and listen, look for sign, ect. Even in areas I know will be good. As far as spooking turkeys in general tho…..just come and go with me and I can show you tons of good ways to screw up a and spook birds. In that respect (ONLY) I think I really am a turkey pro! LOL!
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I probably felt the need to call to birds when scouting back when I'd first began hunting them. It was likely due to the excitement of a bird gobbling at the sounds that I made and in some way due to a lack of confidence that I was doing it right. Probably what saved me from myself was that IL has a law that prohibits calling to turkeys between March 1 and the opener in early April.

Montana has no such law (neither did Colorado). The only calling that I may do before season is some cutting or cackling just to locate birds (typically on the roost), but I don't continue to call to them. A lot of my MT hunting may as well be in another state for the distance that I drive, so I do very little scouting before I've got a gun in my hand.

Montana as a whole has very few die-hard turkey hunters, so scouting probably involves a morning trip the weekend before the opener blowing their guts out on a call, but I haven't really witnessed it. I'd guess that the majority of resident MT turkey licenses are bought the day before season starts. That's not to say that there is no pressure because I've seen an increase in hunters over the last 7 years, especially locally after opening it to a general license instead of limited.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Right before the season, I'll go call to turkeys at the state park that don't get hunted (or aren't supposed to be) just to work on calling to live birds. I usually get courtesy gobbles back, but talking with live birds helps get my rhythm down. On weekday mornings before work, I'll go listen from a high point at some of the places I hunt, just to see how many I hear, though there's no need to call on the small farms I hunt.

On the bigger pieces of public land where I go listen, I always hear too many guys driving up & down the roads at daybreak, running box calls and owl hooters out the truck window to see where they get responses. It doesn't take too long for the turkeys to quit reacting to it, especially if there's obvious vehicle traffic & vehicle door noise associated with every call.

Jim

Return to “Gobbler Talk”