Turkey Hunt hogs

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Swampstalk

Turkey Hunt hogs

Post by Swampstalk »

My son and I flew a red-eye flight to Dallas this past April from Miami and drove up to our farm in Oklahoma by early afternoon to work on the place and do some hunts for Rios. Working on getting things unpacked while outside the house I began hearing turkeys gobbling, then saw several in a pasture across the road from our place. Nick got a call and a shotgun and we scrambled down the driveway to try and get the toms to come to us. After some movement our way they hung up still across the road, lost interest and left the area.

Next morning: We decided to try out luck in that same field this morning and set up a quick cedar bush blind. As we were making our way to the spot in the back of the field a donkey pops out of a creek on the east side of the field. He came into our area smelling the decoys and hanging around. He kicked at one decoy, then
finally getting bored walked off. Shortly after first light we could see a turkey out a couple hundred yards in the middle of the field. After a while we could see it was a hen and she moved off to the west and left the area.

We were hearing gobbles across a creek to the east in the distance but getting closer. Shortly after, the gobble was close by and then the tom pops up out of the creek draw heading toward the decoys. He was in full strut working his way toward them. I took a shot with the 20 ga. at about 35 yards, but I missed him and, he scrambled up the far bank and disappeared. A missed opportunity at my first Rio Grande gobbler was disappointing to say the least, but lots of action, including a nosy jackass. We discussed this over and over on how it happened. Continuing our adventures that afternoon. As we came back from doing shooting lanes at our deer stands we noticed several hogs and a bunch of piglets feeding near where our turkey blind.

Next day: Attempting to redeem myself we decided to try for turkeys again in the same field setting out just at first light we made our way to the same spot not finding anything better. Having seen the hogs, which have moved into the area in the last couple years, we decided to bring my Dad's old Winchester 30-30 with us in case they came out. No gobbles could be heard. After a while Nick heard a hen responding to his calling. She came out of the creek really close to us, maybe 20 yards and was in the open. She got spooked and worked her way across the field and watched for a while then crossed into the creek and left.

Shortly after that a couple of does jumped the fence and crossed the field, with finally 5 in total crossing followed by the donkey again and they all kept looking back like something pushed them. No gobbles were heard nor any more turkeys showing up. We began heading back toward the house. About 50 to 60 yards from the gate, we turned a corner in the trail and saw a group of hogs feeding. About 7-8 adults and a 8-10 piglets were there. My son was in the lead and had the rifle, he dropped to a knee and readied the rifle and shot one of the adults at about 20 yards. They all bolted and Nick turned 90 degrees around as they were coming out of the brush and shot at another one then at a large sow and she went down. Both running at full tilt! The first shot hog had bumped into a couple of persimmon trees while running away. We checked out the one that went down and it was not moving. Then we saw blood on one of the trees and began following the trail about 150 yards through cedar thicket and found the hog laying in it. Amazing action happening in about 20 seconds, with two sows of around 130 to 150 pounds each, taken, and a possible third that we didn't find. Playing it back in our minds it was like a John Wayne shootout! Dad's old 30-30 with the Hornady LeveRevolution 160 grains did the job!

This was a memorable and full trip again, even if we didn’t take that gobbler!
IMG_5776 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_5766 (768x1024).jpg
Don
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey Hunt hogs

Post by Grumpy »

Seems like there is always some "ass" that will ruin a good hunt !
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Yep, twice!
Don
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: December 6th, 2018, 11:50 am Seems like there is always some "ass" that will ruin a good hunt !
:LMAO:

Hey Swamp, when you going back to redeem yourself???

Looks like you had fun anyway

At least you kicked some a#*
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

IMG_4213 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_3134 (1024x768).jpg
Was back there in November for a ML deer hunt. Lots of rut activity but no opportunity shots at mature bucks. Usually running full tilt after hot does. Heading back in the spring to "redeem" myself! Son got a really nice 22 pounder Rio out there couple years ago.
Don
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I would rather turkey hunt than deer

Lord willing I’ll make it to Nebraska this spring
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Looks like fun. Reminds me of the time a white horse came up to me as I was setting up on some WMA one morning. It was foggy and daylight was slow in coming. It took two tries at running that horse off before it gave up on me. Birds were gobbling the whole time.

And would you believe that about half an hour later I called up a jenny with a gobbler in tow? Makes me wonder about training a riding mule to hunt off.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Nice story
Mike

Return to “Gobbler Talk”