At a fork in the road!!!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hunt4spurs87

At a fork in the road!!!!

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

I’ve spent the last 8 years of my life Active Duty Army Infantry at Ft Bragg NC as a paratrooper and while I have had some unforgettable and absolutely amazing experience AT times a part of me I feel is at a fork in the road. My wife and I have been married for almost 2 years now, and she is one tough woman I cannot thank her enough for her love and support through Deployments training etc. As we talk about having children in the near future I feel as if I’ve put her through hell already and I’m wondering if enough is enough. I reclassed to 15T Blackhawk mechanic it’s only a 2 year obligation I feel like after that time is up should I stay or should I go????? I owe it to my wife and future kids I feel like to be there as they grow up. Can someone with more experience than me give any advice here I’m 30 years old now and while that is still young it does weigh in on my decision making ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: At a fork in the road!!!!

Post by howl »

Do the math on your finances and projected income, including retirement. Offhand, I'd guess you will want your military retirement plus salary from post-military job to pay for things like college tuition or accelerating paying off a mortgage. And if you haven't been saving, having a pension will make up for a lot versus those that did or made more money while working.

Can't say much about what other people do otherwise. One thing to figure, maybe, is most of us get about sick and tired of our jobs after we get over the hill. The urge to do something else gets to be strong for a good many.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

That's a tough call and it would be easy for me to say stick it out and do your 20 and retire, but easier said than done. I can say that having that retirement like howl mentioned would be incredible along with getting a civilian job afterwards. You also need to look at medical insurance. I didn't think much about it when I was your age, but since I am of retirement age now, it's a huge issue that needs to be addressed. I was not in the military and very much appreciate your service so I can't speak on the insurance part. My stepson got into the Marines right out of high school....he couldn't wait to get in and we all figured he would retire in the USMC. WoW, we were surprised that after 4 years he got out. He did two tours in Afghanistan and was stationed in Hawaii. He came to the conclusion that there was really no way to have a family and "normal" life if he had to deploy every 6 months. There's no simple answer to this question. You are going to have to do some soul searching and praying (if you believe) to see what path to take.

Good luck with this difficult choice and thanks again,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I got out of the Marines after 4 years because I wanted to get married and I didn't think it was fair to my wife for me to be a Marine. I really wanted to spend 30yrs in, but I wanted to get married more and, in my mind, I couldn't have both. I don't regret my decision one bit, but I do feel like I was born to be a Marine.
My advice would be to spend lots of time researching helo/airplane mechanic jobs in the civilian world as far as benefits and salary. Then when it's time to make the decision, you with make it knowing what it will mean. Since you are considering getting out, start way early setting yourself up to be successful in the civilian world. You could possibly have a great job as soon as you get out. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in that field.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Ultimate Predator
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Only you can answer your question, but don't let any sense of guilt for leaving be any part of it. You've done your part for your country with 8 years service if it ends there.
That helicopter mechanic training could pay pretty well in a civilian military contractor gig or just plain civilian life.
Whatever you choose, good luck and thank you for taking time out of your life to serve your country.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

First and foremost, thank you for your service to this great Nation. I highly recommend that you stay engaged but on a part time basis. Perhaps you can join the Reserves or Guard and continue serving in an MOS you have passion for? When I joined the Army Reserve, my goal was to make Captain and get out. Well, I’m still serving and just started my 25th year and haven’t looked back. Yes, it is demanding at times with extensive training and mobilizations but not as much as being on active duty. Just my two-cents to a brother in arms and good luck to you and your family in your future endeavors. Hooah!
Hunt4spurs87

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

Thank you everyone for your input it is very appreciated

Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

This question takes me back 28years.. I was in the Navy and seeing young children not even know who their dad was when we arrived home from deployment. I made the choice of getting out and raising a family and have never regretted it for one minute. Don't get me wrong, I thought about what if several times.. It is you and your wife's decision! It may or may not be the right decision, but you will have made it together.. Good luck!!! Thank you for your service! :old_glory: :old_glory:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Humbled by you asking us what we think. So glad that many of you are veterans and or still in the service.
Being a husband and father comes first.

If your having second thoughts, like others have already stated, if your passionate about the mechanical side of working, then you should enjoy the private sector. My sons good friend just finished up his stint in the Marines. Stationed in Hawaii for 4 years. Worked him to death on rebuilding helicopters. Worked on them so much, he said never again. Was going to wrench in the private sector and said he had enough lol

So what ever you do, do it together like Fatmo said
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

I know this is belated on the thread but I faced a similar situation many years ago while in the Submarine Service. We got married the year before our boat got our of a shipyard overhaul but then we deployed on patrols. After a 70 day submerged patrol I was at the end of my enlistment and being pressured to sign up again. I made my mind up that marriage and having a family was more important even though the boat was being transferred to Hawaii. Regarding the issues of jobs, finances, etc., one thing I was amazed of how little younger folks saved for the future while I was a director of a County Extension Office. I made sure deferred comp, 401K, and Savings Bonds personnel came and gave presentations to staff and encouraged them to start putting a little away each payday, even if $25. They would miss it and surprised at how it grew. I did both with putting aside bonds for my kids. Two of them used the savings for down payments on their homes later on.

Thank you for your service! Best of luck.

Swampstalk
Don
Hunt4spurs87

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

Swampstalk wrote:I know this is belated on the thread but I faced a similar situation many years ago while in the Submarine Service. We got married the year before our boat got our of a shipyard overhaul but then we deployed on patrols. After a 70 day submerged patrol I was at the end of my enlistment and being pressured to sign up again. I made my mind up that marriage and having a family was more important even though the boat was being transferred to Hawaii. Regarding the issues of jobs, finances, etc., one thing I was amazed of how little younger folks saved for the future while I was a director of a County Extension Office. I made sure deferred comp, 401K, and Savings Bonds personnel came and gave presentations to staff and encouraged them to start putting a little away each payday, even if $25. They would miss it and surprised at how it grew. I did both with putting aside bonds for my kids. Two of them used the savings for down payments on their homes later on.

Thank you for your service! Best of luck.

Swampstalk
Thank you for the advice

Fullfan

Post by Fullfan »

Something else to think about is a Military retirement pension is not very much, you most likely will have to find another career if you retire from there. And being in the late 40's starting a new job will also take you away from your kids, and there is a ton of running and weekend sporting events games ect. Many great opportunity's out there for veterans, here in PA we the veterans have a preference when being hired. So if you would end the military hitch now and start a new life, in 10-15 years you will have seniority and vacation time. Plus that time to be vested in a pension. Retirement with a good pension is not thought about very often, but is very important so you do not have to work when you are older.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”