Harvest #s on hunting clubs

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

Harvest #s on hunting clubs

Post by SwampDrummin »

I was wondering what some of y’all have seen as turkey harvest numbers on various hunting clubs and what the acreages were. The most i’ve personally seen is 11 on a 4200 acre club and 10 on a 3500 acre club. I also know of a 9 harvest on 3200 but no idea as to the turkey numbers. Those were in areas with medium to low turkey numbers. Mississippi/Alabama is kinda my interest but like to hear other places. I know of a 140 acre tract in Kansas that produced 10 one year but was hunted heavily by tv types and didn’t produce well in subsequent years.
Gar Commander

Re: Harvest #s on hunting clubs

Post by Gar Commander »

I am in 2 clubs in North Central Mississippi. One is 3000 acres of mostly various aged pine thickets that has historically killed 10-13 birds for the past 10 years. This year there were 3 killed and it got a lot of hunting pressure. Members are dumbfounded as to why. The second club is about the same size but is 1/2 bottomland habitat mixed with pine hills. This club has historically killed 12-15 gobblers and only 2 were killed there this year and hardly any were seen or heard. Mississippi legalized corn feeders during turkey season 2 years ago and it seems to be concentrating birds where they are getting fed a lot. Neither of these 2 clubs allows corn feeders but some of the neighbors joining them feed corn. Another club I follow closely has 9000 acres and killed 15 which is a typical year, but they hunt the hell out of the poor birds.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

Obviously there are some small tracts that just “hold” a lotta turkeys. Maybe year after year. Great if that’s your place. However, for every oasis there’s at least one desert.

On any sizable scale in your part of the world (where roost trees are well distributed), best I’ve heard of is a sustained kill of 1 gobbler/500 acres. That’s across multiple big land holdings and year after year. Some years more. Some less. And, I suspect, thats with moderate hunting pressure. Certainly not wiping them out.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

11,000 acre club in Winston/Atalla/Choctaw counties Ms (contiguous acres in the corner of these counties)
20-30 birds a year. Hunted hard

1050 acres in Clarke County Alabama this season. Killed 5, missed 3. End of season at least 5 birds still huntable from property. Huntable meaning spends a portion of the day on the property, but may or may not roost there.

Had a club 3 years ago in Baldwin County Al. 4000 acres. Had some decent woods. Killed 4.

Know of a ~5,000 acre club in Pearl River County. They kill 10+ this year.

1700 acre club in Lowndes County Al killed 6 last year.

Just depends on area of the 2 states mentioned, hunting pressure, 2 year old hatch, food availability, timber mixture, etc...
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I have a 1200 acre place that I hunt and there were 11 gobblers killed this year and at least that many last year. The place is just loaded with turkeys.
Ultimate Predator
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Gar Commander wrote: May 31st, 2018, 8:15 pm I am in 2 clubs in North Central Mississippi. One is 3000 acres of mostly various aged pine thickets that has historically killed 10-13 birds for the past 10 years. This year there were 3 killed and it got a lot of hunting pressure. Members are dumbfounded as to why. The second club is about the same size but is 1/2 bottomland habitat mixed with pine hills. This club has historically killed 12-15 gobblers and only 2 were killed there this year and hardly any were seen or heard. Mississippi legalized corn feeders during turkey season 2 years ago and it seems to be concentrating birds where they are getting fed a lot. Neither of these 2 clubs allows corn feeders but some of the neighbors joining them feed corn. Another club I follow closely has 9000 acres and killed 15 which is a typical year, but they hunt the hell out of the poor birds.

Yeah the feeders are out of control in Mississippi.
coconut

Post by coconut »

They feed a lot in Alabama too. Gas stations will have corn stacked 5 feet tall and it disappears in a week
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Feeding has been going on as heavy as the current practices in every area of Ms that I've hunted in the last 20 years as well as south western/south central Alabama.

There's currently more turkey hunters than ever, less predator control, and less habitat conducive for turkey populations. I believe these factors far outweigh any effects of baiting/feeding ever possibly could.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

The habitat is so broken up in my parts that you can kill 10 birds on 160 acres...yet not hear a peep on the 1600 acres across the road.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I used to be in a number of hunting clubs. One had roughly 700+ acres. The hunting was a little tougher then on public lands .
misfire

Post by misfire »

I was on a 5800ac club this year, 6 birds killed. A buddy has a 470ac club and consistently every year 8+ are taken. I need a soil sample from his place, got to be something about it that holds birds
Roy

Post by Roy »

Good thread. Ive nevert hunted on a shared lease, but this thread got me to thinking about a video that I saw in facebook years ago. I had it saved in my favorites. Talk about a good population. Damn lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68hHIPm ... ex=40&t=0s
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
870 Shooter

Post by 870 Shooter »

I'm in a 3200 acre club and there was 3 turkeys killed on it this year. Most of it is new clear cuts, 5yr and newer with hardwood draws paralleling a mountain. It's hard to kill birds there. 4 hunters, not many birds.
I'm on another lease that's close to 5000 acres and I know of 1 turkey killed on it. It's mostly all bottomland and the rains we had this year kept it flooded for most of the season. I was able to kill one on each lease which ran me out of tags so I achieved more than most.
noxubeehunter

Post by noxubeehunter »

Interesting thread. It reminds me of a snapshot I took of the harvest totals a hunting club in the Mississippi Delta. My buddies grandfather still had the book in their cabin of the records they kept from the 60s through the mid-80s. This place is 3,000 acres of prime habitat inside the Mississippi River levee.
Attachments
un.png
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

noxubeehunter wrote: June 8th, 2018, 12:21 pm Interesting thread. It reminds me of a snapshot I took of the harvest totals a hunting club in the Mississippi Delta. My buddies grandfather still had the book in their cabin of the records they kept from the 60s through the mid-80s. This place is 3,000 acres of prime habitat inside the Mississippi River levee.
That is pretty cool. Wonder what the last 10 years look like with all the flooding. Define feast and famine.
noxubeehunter

Post by noxubeehunter »

Yeah they definitely aren't killing near as many as they used to. The flooding has definitely taken it's toll on the hatches. I think most of the place was clearcut in the late 80s/early 90s, so much of it is just now starting to open back up into turkey habitat. I will say this though. A few years after some of that recent flooding, my buddy took me hunting there and I had never heard so many gobbles in my life. There are still a few large patches of big timber in there that will hold turkeys. I've never seen trees like they had in those uncut patches. Absolutely enormous. They just can't get enough good hatches in a row due to the flooding.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”