How was your season?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

How was your spring turkey season

Poll ended at May 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

Best Ever!
18%
Better Than Last Year!
20%
Average Season
33%
Weather Screwed Us
4%
Heard Gobbles
13%
Whats a Turkey?
13%

Total votes: 55

BrowningGuy88

Re: How was your season?

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

It was terrible for me in Alabama. I heard the fewest gobbles I have ever heard. Killed 2 birds, but none on my private land and it ALWAYS produces.

Most everybody I talked to said they killed 1 or 2, but those folks usually kill 5 and I'm the same way...
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

The Bama trip produced only one bird, but it was a blast.
Locally I heard more gobblers on my lease property than I've ever heard in one season. I had multiple gobblers sounding off at every part I went to, and I covered almost the entire lease before I filled my one tag on day 11.
I saw five jakes and heard another 2 dozen gobblers and only two of us got birds this season on that property so next year should be jam up good.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Of 8 tags I have one left for Michigan. But I need a new hunting shirt before I go there next week .
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Definitely my toughest season yet and the most I’ve ever worked before and during season. Arkansas season was very rough. I only know a few people that killed birds. I think we are down 30 percent over last year. I located birds on public land before season that were gobbling good. We had a freak ice storm/cold snap the first day of youths season and it seemed to flip a switch that we didn’t recover from the rest of the season. Some birds gobbled during season, but much less than before the weather switch. Some birds were henned up, but most just didn’t want to play. I saw zero jakes all season, so that doesn’t bode well for next year.

I killed a bird today in Kansas, and there don’t seem to be a ton of birds here. I don’t have experience here to compare this year to though. Glad to finally get a bird to show for all my hunting in Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and now Kansas.
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

CamoMan4025 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 5:03 pm I QUIT........IF I DON'T KILL ONE SATURDAY ALL MY STUFF WILL BE IN MY FRONT YARD WITH A SIGN....."FREE TO A GOOD HOME"!!!!!!!
I sure hope it stops raining for you today....was a rough year, hunted 21 days, didn't get one close enough for a shot until last Saturday. I heard 25% less gobblers than last year, but that could be due to the fact I lost my best place. I managed to get 2, this past week, both youngsters. Could have been worse, put too much time in to get skunked, imo. Going one last time this afternoon, if it doesn't downpour like yesterday, when I got drenched....Good Luck CamoMan
you never know, unless you go

David
silvestris

Post by silvestris »

In a nutshell, it sucked.
Dr Juice

How was your season?

Post by Dr Juice »

silvestris wrote:In a nutshell, it sucked.
I concur. That’s my season thus far in NY. I will give it another try next week before the closing.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Best season ever, hunted 8 times seen 5 die
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Rockhound wrote: May 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm Best season ever, hunted 8 times seen 5 die
and you won some turkey shells :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

My season was about the same as always...another limit. Actually, it was a little better than most years. I found myself trying to slow down the season because it was going too good. Hunted far fewer days this season than I have for many years.
Ultimate Predator
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

OK- here in Orange County,NY- we had 5 NorEaster snowstorms in March. NY opens on May 1st. Then- plenty of rain into April followed by Winter to Summer like weather for 4-5 days and here in May- just one rainy day after another including a dangerous Wind Storm that knocked power out in plenty of areas of Orange County about 4 days ago. I managed to take 1 gobbler in NY so far . I think, I made NJ richer with buying 5 permits for 105 bucks and nary hearing a Gobble. All good though as, I am out there. I have until the 31st to take my 2nd Public Land Tom in NY.
MAK

Post by MAK »

Retired April 1 - great season, Road trip to Kansas and 6 days in Pa -lots of action
MAK
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I was blessed to hunt another year.
I hunted WMA’s South Carolina. Good gobbling but other hunters messed me up. Hunt some very good looking ground. Hope to put more scout in for next year. Hopefully that will put me on some Birds next year. I did not get a bird in SC. But I did find some great land to hunt next season. Plus I found great deer hunting spots too.

North Carolina was good. Worked a bird off the Roost. Had him coming but a coyote spooked him away.
Returned later in the day and was able to harvest a nice fat Jake. Did not get to hunt NC much more after that. I had to work a bunch.

New Mexico was the best part of my season this year. Hunted for three days.
I took my first two Merriam Gobbler.
Mike
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Mike, Where did you hunt in SC??
Ultimate Predator
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Great season, hunted less than usual, little different spring and little less gobbling but adjusted as needed. Watched my kids kill several and had a blast doing that. IMO bird numbers are down though.
jryser

Post by jryser »

4 tags 4 birds and filmed one of my buddy’s hunts for his first filmed bird!!!

https://youtu.be/woJiO7k3slM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Managed to get a limit of 3 in Mississippi, but I hunted harder than I ever have to get it done. My 81 year old dad and my 18 yr old son both got their 3 way before me and they hunted very very little compared to the time I put in. Was in 2 clubs and my son and I ended up taking 5 of our 6 birds on nearby public land. Hard year mentally and physically.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Season for me had its up and downs. I only bought 7 tags for 3 state's and filled them 4 died with crossbow 2 with 12ga and 1 with 20ga. Called one in for my cousin which was the quickest hunt of the season just 8 minutes from the time we sat at the tree and got my call out. Called for 2 different friends and they each shot a Tom with 20ga's. Called in one for my dad which we shot a double that morning. We haven't shot a double together for quite a while it was definitely one of the highlights of the season for me. Took a youth out to KS and called in 2 Tom's for him then took him out for MO youth and he missed but he got to watch the Tom breed a hen before he missed. Then called in 5 Tom's for the girlfriend and one of which supported the best hooks of the season 1 9/16" matching set. So I got to watch 18 Tom's die this season which is not as many as usual but some fun hunts and great memories were made.
Swampchickin234

Post by Swampchickin234 »

I would say mine was a fun one. Didn’t get to hunt as much as usual, bought just had the ability to be on birds about every time I went. Got to hunt 3 states, kill a few, and call several up for others. Good year. I would agree with others on numbers being down in many places though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Worked way more and hunted very little. Was only able to hunt 4.5 days in how state of Arkansas. Very little gobbling. Spooked a bird that slipped in silent so had one opportunity there. Bumped another trying to get in front of him. So, didn't make the most of limited opportunities. Got one morning in MO and did find a gobbler that wanted to die there. First time not killing an Arkansas bird in 15 years I believe.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

MKW wrote: May 20th, 2018, 7:55 pm Mike, Where did you hunt in SC??
I was hunting in the Sumter National Forest south of Lockhart.
Mike
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

And, of course, I missed one on the last day. With my new super, duper TSS loads of all things. But the gun and load can only do so much - the man behind the gun has to do his job, and I didn’t. That gun and load had 70 and 50 yard kills this year, then I missed at 30.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

merriamsman wrote: May 21st, 2018, 6:23 pm And, of course, I missed one on the last day. With my new super, duper TSS loads of all things. But the gun and load can only do so much - the man behind the gun has to do his job, and I didn’t. That gun and load had 70 and 50 yard kills this year, then I missed at 30.
:lol:

now thats rough
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

You forgot 1 selection:

x = IT SUCKED
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

merriamsman wrote: May 21st, 2018, 6:23 pm And, of course, I missed one on the last day. With my new super, duper TSS loads of all things. But the gun and load can only do so much - the man behind the gun has to do his job, and I didn’t. That gun and load had 70 and 50 yard kills this year, then I missed at 30.
Note sure which is worse, missing on the last day or missing at 06:30 opening morning at 25 yds. & never getting another chance!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”