Outstanding diaphragm calls?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
TN-TurkeyTickler

Outstanding diaphragm calls?

Post by TN-TurkeyTickler »

I dont really have any issues talking dirty with the commercial calls but I am interested in trying some custom diaphragms. Still in college so I dont have the cash to buy and try one of each. So I figured I would ask here to help narrow my search. Let me know whats good!
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Outstanding diaphragm calls?

Post by el diablo »

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

VAturkey rocks Dels calls..

I like several. Hooks Executioners, Warbird Boneyard ridge, and the Red Wasp, but I aint paying no $15 bucks for a Redwasp, even tho it is good
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

I love gooserbats mouth calls. The new g2 series Tom swatter and big gobbler special are awesome.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Sadler McGraw's lineup. Love the 2.5 ghost and pro combo 3 reed
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

It's a really personal question... Dab gum I really could write a novel on this subject as could other's.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Ive used Hooks, XT, and Motherlode. Ive not had an XT in a while and have used Motherlodes the most lately. Ive had calls that I really liked from each and calls that I didnt care for from each, but its been a personal preference. With Hooks i think that I typically asked for the wider tape because they cut narrower than I like.

With mouth calls, one man's favorite call is junk to the next guy. Ive tried a few because a lot of folks on the forums swore by them. Turns out that I did not care for them at all. Some guys like so much rasp that the call sounds flat to my ears, but maybe that's just me. Its probably because Im not a world class caller.

Id start with your favorite cut then expand from there if you like what you get. Ive learned that I prefer a combo cut from most call makers, so I usually start there and then try a few from there if I like them.
makeumgobble

Post by makeumgobble »

houndstooth tom bomb, legacy prised possesion and fatal attraction, and for smaller palletes the legacy tom boy has called in many birds for me, actually bought it for the wife years ago and was showing her how to run it and fell in love with the call, but to me inconsistency in diaphrams is the only thing consistent, if you know what u like u can call thad bright up at featheridge and he makes very fine calls aswell
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Having made hundreds of calls and experimented with the construction of the calls and call/cut designs over the years, here is the best advice I can give anyone. To me, pretty much every call has a turkey in there somewhere. The trick is learning how to tune your mouth calls to find it. Make five calls to as close to the same specs as you can,...and each one is likely to sound better with a different cut than the others.

To me, the best thing any mouth call user can do is order your calls without any cuts in them and then learn to go through a simple "cut progression" with each call to find that turkey in it. Here's the cut progression: (try the call after each cut)
Single angle cut (half of a center V cut)
V cut
(at this point, you have to choose between going with a combo cut or a ghost cut)
Combo cut (left or right)
Bat wing cut

Of course there are also the endless variations of adding "viper" cuts (additional V-cuts), or cutting off ends of tabs, off-sets on cuts towards the outer edges of the call, shaving off the long edge of the primary reed,...and on and on. You would be surprised at how doing a simple modification to a mouth call will change the sound.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I would follow what gobblenut says. When I was messing with mouth calls I hunted with him in New Mexico.I thought I was ok with the mouth call and had even called in several birds. He made me call in front of him even though I was call shy. He then had me try a couple different calls and made suggestions. Ever since that hunt I have gotten better at calling but would have probably just stayed the same if he hadn't listened to my calling and given suggestions.
Roy

Post by Roy »

IMO I think most calls are the same. Same cuts, a lot of same stretches. Everyone uses same latex. So, I think it's kinda all the same. Everyone uses same type press
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I've tried several hundred calls over the years with several being at the top of the pile. You name it, I've probably tried it! For several years now I've been running Del Crow's calls. His call's fit the way I run a call! His service and quality are second to none and the price is hard to beat. Outstanding guy to work with ! DC custom Calls https://www.facebook.com/21865234203461 ... 44/?type=3
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

Anything from Denny Gulvas.

No cuts or notches in the reeds, 'cuz you don't need 'em!
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Roy wrote: February 13th, 2018, 9:51 am IMO I think most calls are the same. Same cuts, a lot of same stretches. Everyone uses same latex. So, I think it's kinda all the same. Everyone uses same type press
I agree with Roy, and add the differences between callmakers for me personally is twofold - first is comfort and second is consistency. For these two points I stick with Gooserbat and Gulvas.

I don't get hung up on mouth calls, they cost a few bucks a piece - I try to keep them sanitary and clean using 50% / 50% blend of Listerine and water at the end of each day, and after a week I pitch them and put a new one in the rotation. Keeping a $5 or $10 mouth call for six or seven weeks, or even keeping them in the fridge or years is not worth strep throat. My insurance copay to get in the walk-in clinic is a lot more money than a couple of mouth calls each season. And as far as keeping one because 'its got the right sound' then go back to my two points - comfort and consistency. If its a good callmaker they all will run similarly. Just my two cents.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I PM'd Iced Turkeys about a week ago inquiring about Hook's diaphragm calls, heard a lot of good things about them and just wanted to try em' for myself. I have used Preston Pittman's Black Diamond diaphragm's for years and have had fantastic luck with them and as far as keeping diaphragm calls for weeks on end, I have 2 or 3 that I have had for close to 30 years, no joke. I ordered a small assortment of the Hook's calls today and for the price you can't beat em' but I'll give em' a try and if there is any that I am fond of, I will place another order.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 13th, 2018, 9:29 am I would follow what gobblenut says. When I was messing with mouth calls I hunted with him in New Mexico.I thought I was ok with the mouth call and had even called in several birds. He made me call in front of him even though I was call shy. He then had me try a couple different calls and made suggestions. Ever since that hunt I have gotten better at calling but would have probably just stayed the same if he hadn't listened to my calling and given suggestions.
now thats awesome! :thumbup:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
TN-TurkeyTickler

Post by TN-TurkeyTickler »

Thanks for all of your input!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

hoobilly wrote: February 13th, 2018, 10:56 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: February 13th, 2018, 9:29 am I would follow what gobblenut says. When I was messing with mouth calls I hunted with him in New Mexico.I thought I was ok with the mouth call and had even called in several birds. He made me call in front of him even though I was call shy. He then had me try a couple different calls and made suggestions. Ever since that hunt I have gotten better at calling but would have probably just stayed the same if he hadn't listened to my calling and given suggestions.
now thats awesome! :thumbup:
That is awesome, Tim! It's great to know that, after all these years, there is someone out there that I gave GOOD advice to. :D

Return to “Gobbler Talk”