Remington declaring bankruptcy?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
coconut

Remington declaring bankruptcy?

Post by coconut »

Read where Remington may be looking into bankruptcy?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Remington declaring bankruptcy?

Post by Hoobilly »

I read that earlier.. crazy. 8 years of Obama being the best gun salesman and they are bankrupt? still owned by cerebral capital? owned by george soros..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
reminex

Post by reminex »

And their taxes basically just got slashed in half.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

They need to stay out of the pistol business! They’re R-51 was/is a total and complete failure..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

They also need to get back to the basics..
The models that got them on or near the top, years ago. The 870, 1100, 11-87, and the 700..
They cheapened up everything they made and starting selling at Walmart at a discounted price.
Guess that didn’t work out so well!
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Hognutz wrote: February 10th, 2018, 9:10 am They also need to get back to the basics..
The models that got them on or near the top, years ago. The 870, 1100, 11-87, and the 700..
They cheapened up everything they made and starting selling at Walmart at a discounted price.
Guess that didn’t work out so well!
EXACTLY.........I have handled the 11-87 Sportsman..............NO comparison to the Special purpose.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The 870 Express is no 870 Wingmaster.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

For sure. They need to get rid of the junk and bring back what brought ‘em to the dance!
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

After producing clunkers like the 887, it is no wonder. I would like to know why a company that had produced one of the best and most popular pump shotguns ever made in the 870 (prior to the advent of the much inferior Express models) bastardize it so horribly with the 887. After working on several 887's, all of which had terrible POA/POI and triggers, I advised several people to resolve their problems by selling the shotgun, but not to anyone they liked.
Last edited by decoykrvr on February 15th, 2018, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

It's a mess and they have not been impressive for awhile. My gun friends (who all own many dozens of guns each) won't buy current Remington offerings. ALL of these same guys own older Remington guns. I'm of the same opinion; older Remingtons are great. Newer ones are junk. They keep offering things none of us are interested in and the quality is very low. As has been said in many places and on many forums/campfires/water cooler discussions, bring back the few things and do them well. Get rid of the junk.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I bought an 870 SuperMag (Express) NIB from Bass Pro and the gun wouldn't cycle Remington Game Loads, but would cycle Winchester Promos. Go figure; the perfect storm of cheap shells and crappy gun made by the same company. Gil
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I've always been a Remington fan. I have had many 700's in the past 20 years and they've all shot great. I ended up trading, selling them to upgrade, change calibers, etc. My buddy has a 700 BDL in 30-06 and it shoots great. I have an 870 SPS-Turkey in both 20 & 12 and will never get rid of them. I bought an old 700 ADL 270 from a friend for $200 probably 7 years ago. I said to myself....if it shoots I'll keep it and if not, then I can sell it and hopefully make a few dollars.............well it shot well. It's my backup gun. I agree with all of you all just saying for them to go back to the basics and forget all this cheap crap.

My Department has issued 870's for probably 50 years. Recently we were told we are switching to Benelli's for our carry shotguns???
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

What about the old 788's? They were very cheap (like 79.00) and look how they shot. Over the last 40 years I have owned at least a dozen of them and they all shot lights out but that was back when Remington took pride in their guns although it was a cheap version of the 700 it shot as well (if not better) as it's high end brother and I believe that is why Remington eventually discontinued them. I had a 788 243 back in the early 80's and it would shoot anything I would load for it, I spent the better part of a day loading various loads with several different powders and bullets from 60 to 100 grains for it and I can say that EVERY load I picked out of a manual would at least shoot MOA groups at 100 yards and I was just picking loads at random.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

While quality has declined, I'd bet there has been some poor financial decisions as well leading to the decaybof the business
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

Those 2 things tend to run together in the corporate world.
norINhunter

Post by norINhunter »

There's a reason they call private equity groups "corporate raiders" because they come in and acquire a company pile on the debt take the profits then when the debt load finally breaks the company's back file for bankruptcy and sell of the product lines at a premium. Fortunately it's Remington and they have brand recognition regardless if they've produce chittty products the last decade. As others have mentioned hopefully this will get them to focus on products that got them to where they once were. I just feel for the families that are going to be left out of work from this because some private equity stooge who probably doesn't even know where the safety is on an 870 is going to walk away with a pile of cash.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

For several years now, Remington has gotten away from making some of the best guns on the market such as the 11-87, 1100, 870, & 700. With they still male them, they are cheaply made & don't hold like like earlier versions. They also have been making when I call cheap throw-away guns. If they had stuck with the tried & true high quality firearms, I don't think they would be in the dire straights in which they find themselves. I think there may also be some mismanagement involved as well.

I have 3 700s in different calibers & they are all pre-2000, great guns. I also have 2 11-87s, an 1100, & an 870 all pre-1985, again, great guns. All continue to work flawlessly. All you have to do is clean them.

I won't own any Remy made post 2000.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

that's what happens when you build cheap made products. some of their guns r great. but, the junk gives the name in general a bad rep.
El Sicario

Return to “Gun Talk”