O/U doubled

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

O/U doubled

Post by howl »

Had the wife out shooting clays. She has a lightweight 12ga Franchi O/U. She didn't get the safety all the way off on one shot. The gun didn't fire. She fiddles with it, on, off, etc. Next shot it fires both barrels with one trigger pull. Sounded like one right after the other, almost the same time. Like if you held two fingers above a table with one very slightly higher than the other and tapped the table with both at the same time.

Fortunately, we were using low recoil loads so it only almost knocked her down. :lol:

I'm not sure what happened. I'm thinking it was user error and recoil fired the second shot out of the barrel she did not fire the first time. As in: She tries to fire lower barrel with safety holding it up. Gun or she switches to other barrel. She fires top barrel and recoil makes lower barrel hammer complete interrupted travel. Clearly I'm guessing.

She wants me to figure out if its the gun or her. I want to know why she thinks I'm willing to take a chance on getting stomped like that! I told her to sell it and buy a Beretta auto. Even let her shoot mine to see what near zero recoil feels like.

The point of this is to solicit opinions on what probably happened. I guess I could load blanks and fiddle with it. I like new guns better.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: O/U doubled

Post by soiltester »

Did she buy it used?????? Used a lot ?????
Or new and not used a lot yet??? :banghead:

I can shoot my O/U Ruger R/L pretty fast, when needed :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

If it was dirty the scenario you describe with it hanging up halfway and the recoil of the other barrel firing plus her finger on the trigger is a good possibility. I would be talking to Franchi about that and maybe having it looked at to make sure. Never know

Sounds like fun since no one was hurt. That’s something she won’t forget
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I think I took it in a trade several years back. It was NIB or close to it. Hasn't been shot much. I guess I'll seek professional help.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

I had one that would double fire. It was sent back 2 times. They said it was me shooting it with out holding it firm. I deal with alot of clay guys so the 1st shot out box when it cam back was from one of my Master Class guys. It Double the 1st time. They was a few folks that was complaining about them. They replace mine and I never put it together I sold it. It doubling will make you think instead of shooting. lol
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

howl wrote: December 6th, 2017, 9:23 am I think I took it in a trade several years back. It was NIB or close to it. Hasn't been shot much. I guess I'll seek professional help.
It may be if you're in good with a gunsmith, he can smooth up the action for you. ;)
If your wife has shot O/U's quite a bit before, then I'd just trade it off for another brand that she is use to.
Could be it still needs quite a bit of "action " and cleaning yet, to get the mechanics working smoothly ??
I had a O/U Browning Lightning and boy is that a shooter for sporting clays :shock:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I just bought a Weatherby (SKB) Orion SSC. They have a reputation for doubling. The triggers are mechanical not inertia. The supposed fix is to remove the stock and clean/lube the trigger mechanism. Being your gun is new, I would doubt that it’s dirty. Maybe gummed up or in need of some lub. Fairly easy to do before shipping it off or dumping it. :dontknow:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hognutz wrote: December 7th, 2017, 8:58 am I just bought a Weatherby (SKB) Orion SSC. They have a reputation for doubling. The triggers are mechanical not inertia. The supposed fix is to remove the stock and clean/lube the trigger mechanism. Being your gun is new, I would doubt that it’s dirty. Maybe gummed up or in need of some lub. Fairly easy to do before shipping it off or dumping it. :dontknow:
Maybe it's the original factory cosmoline(sp) coating yet, is what I thought of a possibility also??
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Very possible. And the colder weather may have been enough to gum her up??
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Gun Talk”