Barrel length

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
aristico

Barrel length

Post by aristico »

Looking to buy a new shotgun. I can get the shotgun i want for a really good price but it has a 28in tube. Is it too ling for turkey? I usually look for 26 in barrels. Im getting into waterfowling a bit more now so it would be perfect for that but might be a bit long for turkeys?

Thoughts?

Thanks
VALongbeard

Re: Barrel length

Post by VALongbeard »

I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker for me........but, I actually prefer longer barrels. Alot of people will probably say it is too long though....
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

The 28" should work fine. I wouldn't pass it up if it's a good deal. Then, at some point in the future, you can always buy a shorter barrel.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

I would go for it and use a flush turkey choke which the barrel will be about equal length to a 26” barrel with an extended turkey choke. Good luck.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

The 28” bbl. wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. To me, it’s A bit more clumsy in the woods but if the price is right, and money is an issue, it sounds like a good deal. The longer bbl. will be a plus for your waterfowl hunting! Its hard to find a bbl length that your happy to hunt both with.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

It depends. A 3 1/2" gun with a 28" barrel and a long turkey choke gets kinda long. I like a 28" barrel on a break action or 26" on pump or auto.
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

aristico wrote:Looking to buy a new shotgun. I can get the shotgun i want for a really good price but it has a 28in tube. Is it too ling for turkey? I usually look for 26 in barrels. Im getting into waterfowling a bit more now so it would be perfect for that but might be a bit long for turkeys?

Thoughts?

Thanks
I don't care for anything over 26 ins really prefer 24 ins had Mossberg 500 with 20 in. barrel years ago killed a bunch of turkeys with it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Wouldn’t be a deal breaker. Longer the better for me. Wish I had a 40” barrel. That’s just me 😆
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Makes no difference if you can't get them to come in.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

howl wrote: December 4th, 2017, 5:38 pm It depends. A 3 1/2" gun with a 28" barrel and a long turkey choke gets kinda long. I like a 28" barrel on a break action or 26" on pump or auto.
What howl said...

A 28” barrel on a break action (single or double) ain’t so bad. A 28” barrel fitted to the receiver of a pump or semi-auto, especially with an extended choke, is kinda clunky. That said, I toted a double with a 32” barrel for several years. Anything more than 24” usually stays home now.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I prefer the longer barrels because the blast is further away from my ears and Would like to be able to continue to hear a turkey drumming.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

coconut wrote: December 4th, 2017, 8:56 pm I prefer the longer barrels because the blast is further away from my ears and Would like to be able to continue to hear a turkey drumming.
I have to wear Walkers game ears to hear gobbles in the woods

so many years of shooting and not using hearing protection and running heavy equipment has taken its toll
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I cover lots of ground during the morning hours, and I never, ever sit in a blind, so a short barrel is my strong preference. 20", 22" or 24" is perfect for a quick set up in the big woods when a bird suddenly opens up close by and time is of the essence. A barrel over 24" just feels like I'm toting something that should be used to pole vault.

If sitting in a blind is your speed then longer barrels make complete, perfect sense. The only 28" gun I would not pass on would be free, and then quickly retrofitted with a short barrel.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”