GOBBLER#1 + BUSTED GOBBLERS...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

GOBBLER#1 + BUSTED GOBBLERS...

Post by quavers16 »

I hope members enjoy this story that spans 8 years.

I have not seen Gobbler#1 in a good 2 Spring Turkey Seasons now. There was a time starting around 2007 when he showed up in all my hotspots at some point on a weekend morning. If, I was there first-- Gobbler#1 would bust that gobbler-sometimes by moving noisily through a swamp near to a field where I was calling to that gobbler! Being 74 when we met on our mountain bikes when I was 48-- he was obviously retired and could work these gobblers in these hotspots that ranged from 1 1/4 miles in to close to 2 miles in-- during the workweek. Gobbling fell off big time as in dead gobblers don't gobble!
In the last 2 Springs though, I am hearing ALOT more gobblers!!! Did Gobbler#1 from New Jersey take over the 2 gobbler New York limit? Possibly-- who would know if he toted out 4-5-6 gobblers on his mountain bike during the month of MAY. Now, I am 58 and Gobbler#1 would be 84. I look forward to hearing alot of fired up 3 year old gobblers next MAY.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: GOBBLER#1 + BUSTED GOBBLERS...

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good luck next may.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Is this the same guy that would drive his truck out in the field and shoot gobblers? Maybe at 84 he's finally retired from turkey hunting. I'm thinking that's about the age I plan on quiting. Good luck this May
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I watched near 200 turkeys fly out of some pine trees this morning and go about 300 yards to a barnyard where the owner is grain feeding some calves, tried to put the sneak on them and was just about close enough when they went nuts and all where looking with their heads up and making a sound I never heard before. Then I saw the coyote doing the sneak on them too, I did a couple of lip squeaks and he came to me at about 50 ft. I gave him a faceful of 20 ga. Federal heavyweight 7's, he never heard the shot, he is resting in the freezer now and I'll put him up later,big light colored with extra white belly, should be $80 when put up. Going back to the ranch in the morning and will be a lot closer to the haystack that the turkeys land by.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

:walk: WTF :scratch:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMMMMM .. think I'll lurk and watch this one :?
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

devastator wrote: November 11th, 2017, 11:23 pm :walk: WTF :scratch:
I'm with you, this is confusing.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I may be wrong but I think Quavers original post was the one that confused them. I had to read it several times to to put the pieces together, but that's not unusual for me. I normally have a hard time focusing on more than a sentence or two. But I read your entire post Grumpy and understood it quite well. :lol: I always enjoy reading your replies. I hope you hang around.
Double Naught Spy!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Dang ole grumpster. Just tell everybody how ya feel. But I’m pretty sure they were (WTF and confused on quavers post). He was the original op. Anyway slip back in a get a shot or 2 and calm down. Lol. Stay around.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Hope members enjoyed the story. I did have a good talk with the old dude in the parking lot . Have not seen him since. He cost my Brother in law 3-4 gobblers and other Spring hunters were heard to talk of him. Only have a few more minutes on this Library computer-- be back next Friday.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hey grumpy :turkeywave:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

EEEEAAAASSSSYYYYY now Grumpy :lol:

One of my best teal hunts came off a flooded beef fatnin' lot in "The Thumb " of Michigan :thumbup:

My 1st Merriam only had a 1/2 beard left from ice crusted to it all winter and the rancher said all they had to feed off of the leftovers from the feed lot, and "U NO" what I mean :LMAO:
And in 1 again in MI (no feed lot) 3 years ago also, and since then, turkeys and deer have had a great comeback from that deadly winter :cheers:

Quavers16's post had a lot of detailed content, and as usual I just scanned over It as I always do and was a bit confusing .. to my lil' turkey huntin' mind :stir:
Where did his post even get close to your huntin' situation right now???

If ya' didn't git' one today ..go & git' em' tomorrow :thumbup: :cheers:

AND a big congrats on the Yote' :salute:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I want to go coyote hunting with Grumpy at that feed lot.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I love killin coyotes. Next favorite thing to turkey huntin.or let me rephrase that I like calling them and they come lookin for me and then I kill them. I just out smarted a predator. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I would hunt with Grumpy anytime and anywhere for anything! No guff... :salute:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I believe quavers16 answered his own questions as we all aren't getting' any younger, and the gobblin' sequence where he's huntin', is better every year :thumbup:

I'd sure love huntin' turkeys w/Grumpy near a feed lot also :thumbup:

There's a lot more meat on a turkey than a teal :banghead: :LMAO: :stir:
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Well, I guess my old a$$ was a little or maybe a lot confused here, I do apologize for flying off the handle and being an a$$ about the post. I did go back out and get a turkey yesterday, most walked in instead of gliding down to the corrals out of the trees they roost in, quite a sight to see 50 or maybe 60 at one time walking toward you like penguins do on the TV shows. I threw a white sheet over the corral fence and put a slice in it right above the rung I was sitting behind, total 100 % camo and I lit my pipe and waited and when the second one came marching by I had the bead on him and off safety and before he stepped into full view I had him dead to right and gave him a reverse Abe Lincoln with the Federal heavyweight 7's. That stuff is awesome, it held such a tight pattern at 20 yards or so that not one pellet hit the birds body and it actually filled him backwards from the blast. Oh well with only one tag per year in this area I am done now until spring season when I will be back at the other end of this ranch to call in a another one when they respond to calls. Again I apologize to anyone I may have offended but this seems to be a tough bunch and I'm sure it takes more to offend members here than an old man blowing off steam be safe and good luck!
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Grumpy wrote: November 13th, 2017, 10:42 am Well, I guess my old a$$ was a little or maybe a lot confused here, I do apologize for flying off the handle and being an a$$ about the post. I did go back out and get a turkey yesterday, most walked in instead of gliding down to the corrals out of the trees they roost in, quite a sight to see 50 or maybe 60 at one time walking toward you like penguins do on the TV shows. I threw a white sheet over the corral fence and put a slice in it right above the rung I was sitting behind, total 100 % camo and I lit my pipe and waited and when the second one came marching by I had the bead on him and off safety and before he stepped into full view I had him dead to right and gave him a reverse Abe Lincoln with the Federal heavyweight 7's. That stuff is awesome, it held such a tight pattern at 20 yards or so that not one pellet hit the birds body and it actually filled him backwards from the blast. Oh well with only one tag per year in this area I am done now until spring season when I will be back at the other end of this ranch to call in a another one when they respond to calls. Again I apologize to anyone I may have offended but this seems to be a tough bunch and I'm sure it takes more to offend members here than an old man blowing off steam be safe and good luck!

Hey Grumpy .. A big congrats on yer' turkey, but where's the "PICS." of your blind and kill also :stir:

Don't ya' love it when comes together, and ya' get close & personal with those rascals :thumbup:
But those head shots do make a mess if you don't have a ziplock bag to put on, before the carry out :roll:

Oh, you didn't say how many guys you have room for and wanted to invite out on that ranch next spring :wave: :wave: :wave:

I do believe most everyone has thick skin that posts on here, and I've sure learned to eat a lot of hunble pie :banghead:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Congrats on the turkey and welcome back :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on the turkey, Grumpy.
It’s all good!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Congrats on the turkey Grumpy. I'm headed east today to hunt rutting deer and carrying a bird dog with me. Ive still got a turkey tag also, so maybe I'll spot a tom somewhere.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Got my fall bird yestiday. Got all camoed up and drove to the local Feed-A-Lot. Snuck down the isle to the frozen meat section, peaked over the edge and there was about sixty of 'em all layed out in a row. I was lookin' for about an 18 pounder, and finally got my sights on one. 'Bout the time I was goin' to give 'im a load of 7's in daface, I noticed he din't have no punkin' haid,...WTF? All of a sudden, this old biddy (must'a been 'bout 80) shows up and starts eye-ballin' my tarkey. Well, I ain't havin' none of that, so I just layed her out with solid round-about with my right gun. Weren't nobody else around, so I just grabs my tarkey and runs down the isle, dumps a twenty on the counter and skedaddles out before anybody notices the old hag on the floor. Serves her right for tryin' to come in on my set-up and git my tarkey.
...I would'a put her up, but figgered I better git the hell out of dodge afir the pOh-lice showed up...
...Oh yeah,...not a single pellet in that tarkey. Must'a just skeert him to death. Man, I'm good! :D :mrgreen: :angel4:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

GobbleNut wrote: November 14th, 2017, 9:02 am Got my fall bird yestiday. Got all camoed up and drove to the local Feed-A-Lot. Snuck down the isle to the frozen meat section, peaked over the edge and there was about sixty of 'em all layed out in a row. I was lookin' for about an 18 pounder, and finally got my sights on one. 'Bout the time I was goin' to give 'im a load of 7's in daface, I noticed he din't have no punkin' haid,...WTF? All of a sudden, this old biddy (must'a been 'bout 80) shows up and starts eye-ballin' my tarkey. Well, I ain't havin' none of that, so I just layed her out with solid round-about with my right gun. Weren't nobody else around, so I just grabs my tarkey and runs down the isle, dumps a twenty on the counter and skedaddles out before anybody notices the old hag on the floor. Serves her right for tryin' to come in on my set-up and git my tarkey.
...I would'a put her up, but figgered I better git the hell out of dodge afir the pOh-lice showed up...
...Oh yeah,...not a single pellet in that tarkey. Must'a just skeert him to death. Man, I'm good! :D :mrgreen: :angel4:
Ya' meant to say ya "Ugly'd" it to death!! :LMAO: :stir:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: November 13th, 2017, 10:42 am Well, I guess my old a$$ was a little or maybe a lot confused here, I do apologize for flying off the handle and being an a$$ about the post. I did go back out and get a turkey yesterday, most walked in instead of gliding down to the corrals out of the trees they roost in, quite a sight to see 50 or maybe 60 at one time walking toward you like penguins do on the TV shows. I threw a white sheet over the corral fence and put a slice in it right above the rung I was sitting behind, total 100 % camo and I lit my pipe and waited and when the second one came marching by I had the bead on him and off safety and before he stepped into full view I had him dead to right and gave him a reverse Abe Lincoln with the Federal heavyweight 7's. That stuff is awesome, it held such a tight pattern at 20 yards or so that not one pellet hit the birds body and it actually filled him backwards from the blast. Oh well with only one tag per year in this area I am done now until spring season when I will be back at the other end of this ranch to call in a another one when they respond to calls. Again I apologize to anyone I may have offended but this seems to be a tough bunch and I'm sure it takes more to offend members here than an old man blowing off steam be safe and good luck!
I was a little late to the party and missed out in reading your post before it was yanked. Glad to see you apologize after going full Christ Brackett on here. I do enjoy seeing your surley post. Lord help us all get along :D
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

GobbleNut wrote: November 14th, 2017, 9:02 am Got my fall bird yestiday. Got all camoed up and drove to the local Feed-A-Lot. Snuck down the isle to the frozen meat section, peaked over the edge and there was about sixty of 'em all layed out in a row. I was lookin' for about an 18 pounder, and finally got my sights on one. 'Bout the time I was goin' to give 'im a load of 7's in daface, I noticed he din't have no punkin' haid,...WTF? All of a sudden, this old biddy (must'a been 'bout 80) shows up and starts eye-ballin' my tarkey. Well, I ain't havin' none of that, so I just layed her out with solid round-about with my right gun. Weren't nobody else around, so I just grabs my tarkey and runs down the isle, dumps a twenty on the counter and skedaddles out before anybody notices the old hag on the floor. Serves her right for tryin' to come in on my set-up and git my tarkey.
New Mexico redneck language. 😂
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”