Need opinions on rifle scope

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Sloppy_Snood

Re: Need opinions on rifle scope

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Nikon Monarchs 3,5, or 7 series! Leupold cannot match its picture clarity in low light. My Monarch 3 with 4-16x42 will make you rethink the whole overpriced Leupold VX-2 or higher claims.

Vortex may be another option but I would stay in the Viper HS series for the smaller money you say you can spend. Viper PST is a no disappointments option but you will be in $500 territory.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have used Bushnell Elites, Burris, Leupold , cheaper Nikon P223.

I would try and buy one used and spend the 3-350 for better optics

The Vortex, Burris. Leupold and Nikon have excellent warranties
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

I'm leaning towards leupold. Just not sure on the vx3 or vx2. I've been reviewing online and a lot say they can't see any difference between the 2. Also read that 50mm objectives do see better in low light.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Easiest thing to do is order up your likeliest suspects and compare side by side in the woods as the light fades. Having done so, I can tell you that VX2 is clearly not as good as VX3. And to do what you want with VX3, you need a heavy reticle. Weaver Super Slam and Grand Slam compared better than VX2, and almost as good as VX3. 'bout the same as VXR. Maybe slightly better. Close enough that with the slightly heavy reticles they work to 30 after in dark timber.

But, like I said, get some sent to the house and go compare them on a deer mount in the woods. Won't have to guess then. Return postage is not so much more than gas. And some places like opticsplanet will do free returns.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Im a big fan of the Burris scopes.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Cabela's has a a Pre Black Friday Sale on now which has some great deals on scopes. As an example: on 11/19/17, the Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42 Z-Plex is $499 which is $430 off the List of $929.99. The excellent Schott ED glass in this rifle scope w/ an objective lens of 42 mm will give you light gathering equal or better than a lot of cheaper scopes w/ 50 mm objectives w/ lower mounting on the rifle.
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

Just ordered a leupold vx3i 3.5-10x50 from midway for $322 on clearance there's 3 left.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

decoykrvr wrote: November 10th, 2017, 8:55 am Cabela's has a a Pre Black Friday Sale on now which has some great deals on scopes. As an example: on 11/19/17, the Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42 Z-Plex is $499 which is $430 off the List of $929.99. The excellent Schott ED glass in this rifle scope w/ an objective lens of 42 mm will give you light gathering equal or better than a lot of cheaper scopes w/ 50 mm objectives w/ lower mounting on the rifle.
I looked for a while for this. No luck finding this sale.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Fl strutter wrote: November 10th, 2017, 3:44 pm Just ordered a leupold vx3i 3.5-10x50 from midway for $322 on clearance there's 3 left.
I don't think you will be disappointed with this. I have a couple of those except 40 mm with the CDS. That's a great buy you got.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Fl strutter wrote: November 10th, 2017, 3:44 pm Just ordered a leupold vx3i 3.5-10x50 from midway for $322 on clearance there's 3 left.
I don't think you will be disappointed with this. I have a couple of those except 40 mm with the CDS. That's a great buy you got.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's a heckuva buy. If you have trouble making out the reticle at last light, Leupold will swap in whatever you want for a fee.
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

The one I ordered has the heavy duplex. I hope I like it but if not I'll get leupold to put the regular duplex in it.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I got a Pre-Black Friday flier in the mail last week and in my e-mail from Cabela's yesterday.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I got a Leupold VXR CDS 4-12x40. It has the fine duplex reticle with a red dot if needed.
I took a deer last with at last light. It has a 30 mm tube. It is great in low light times.
Attachments
FA088196-B99F-4B8D-AFD2-21EE6F80E555.jpeg
8BFDDAB2-BDF8-4080-9C89-A1A9A1D4F6F0.jpeg
Mike
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

You're gonna like the scope. It will do all that you need it to and more. Plus... A lifetime warranty.
Put a good set of mounts under it and you'll be good to go for ever!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

I'm putting dnz one peice game reapers on it. I or lows on it now but ordered mediums I'm hoping they'll work with the 3.5-10x50 on my tikka t3x
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I hope the mediums are tall enough with the 50 mm bell. You may need to go to the talls. Is there a rear sight in the gun?
Good luck with your new set up!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

DNZ is good stuff. If my wife can't knock a scope wearing them off zero, they gotta be tough. Kinda hurts my feelings watching that woman pull a rifle up a tree. :pale: No idea on ring height if DNZ couldn't say. I know that when I sight in a scope mounted high that I try to get it shooting a little low at 25 yards so it won't hit way high at 100. First time I did one I had to use a big piece of paper to see what was going on.

I tested a VXR 32mm with FireDot and a VX3 32mm with heavy duplex side by side. I liked the VXR better overall, they're just a really neat package, but I found the VX3 better in low light for my eyes. I have bad astigmatism, which for me meant the red dot flared a little to where I couldn't see around it as well as I could with the heavy duplex. The smaller objective paired with the heavy duplex will do 30 minutes after sunset in dark timber on a cloudy day, no problem. Always have had good luck with VX3s and heavy duplexes.
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

I've read on different forums that the mediums will work so I'm hoping so. I know the lows won't. It wouldn't have a rear sight. If someone needs a brand new set of low dnz one peice game reapers that are black for a tikka I have one for sale discounted.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Cool beans!!! :salute:

Return to “Gun Talk”