Federal muzzleloader bullets

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Federal muzzleloader bullets

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I remember several years ago I had a Remington 700 ML and the only thing I could get it to shoot with any consistency was patched round balls and it shot them good, it is just a shame to have a scoped, inline muzzle loader and have to shoot PRB in it but I did and killed a bunch of deer with it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

turkeyinstrut wrote: October 11th, 2017, 10:41 pm I remember several years ago I had a Remington 700 ML and the only thing I could get it to shoot with any consistency was patched round balls and it shot them good, it is just a shame to have a scoped, inline muzzle loader and have to shoot PRB in it but I did and killed a bunch of deer with it.
how far could you shoot with those round balls?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

well in my 2 original mdl 700 Remington mls I shoot a barnes tmz, and in my omega... 80 grn by weight of blackhorn and a barnes tmz, and in my Remington... you guessed it, the accutips which is a barnes tez flatbase. for some reason my ultimate don't shoot for **** with blackhorn. but, with 3 white hots its incredible.
El Sicario
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

hoobilly wrote: October 11th, 2017, 11:04 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote: October 11th, 2017, 10:41 pm I remember several years ago I had a Remington 700 ML and the only thing I could get it to shoot with any consistency was patched round balls and it shot them good, it is just a shame to have a scoped, inline muzzle loader and have to shoot PRB in it but I did and killed a bunch of deer with it.
how far could you shoot with those round balls?
I killed a few out to 150 to 175 yards, I believe I was shooting 90 grains of FFF Goex in it. I had a .50 cal. T/C Hawken that I used for years before I ever had a inline, I used 60 grains of FFF Goex in it with a PRB and I would be afraid to guess how many deer that combination took the lives of, several well past 100 yards.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

turkeyinstrut wrote: October 12th, 2017, 7:32 am
I killed a few out to 150 to 175 yards, I believe I was shooting 90 grains of FFF Goex in it. I had a .50 cal. T/C Hawken that I used for years before I ever had a inline, I used 60 grains of FFF Goex in it with a PRB and I would be afraid to guess how many deer that combination took the lives of, several well past 100 yards.
That’s prb was the only thing that worked for a couple hundred years..

Even had snipers during the rev&civil war

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

hoobilly wrote: October 12th, 2017, 10:08 am
turkeyinstrut wrote: October 12th, 2017, 7:32 am
That’s prb was the only thing that worked for a couple hundred years..

Even had snipers during the rev&civil war
You know it,probably my 2nd favorite besides turkey is hunting with a flintlock,a true smoke pole.
Season starts here Saturday and may even take that instead of the inline easy "rifle".58 cal patch/ roundball kills them.Our flintlock season season starts the day after christmas and look forward to it every year,and thats all ya can use unless it is a bow.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

devastator wrote: October 12th, 2017, 5:20 pm You know it,probably my 2nd favorite besides turkey is hunting with a flintlock,a true smoke pole.
Season starts here Saturday and may even take that instead of the inline easy "rifle".58 cal patch/ roundball kills them.Our flintlock season season starts the day after christmas and look forward to it every year,and thats all ya can use unless it is a bow.
Have never shot flintlocks before

been shooting muzzleloaders since I was 18

have killed a lot of deer with over the years with them

Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

hoobilly wrote: October 12th, 2017, 7:31 pmhave killed a lot of deer with over the years with them
...and an equal number of innocent trees I'd imagine. :blackeye:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: October 15th, 2017, 8:02 pm
hoobilly wrote: October 12th, 2017, 7:31 pmhave killed a lot of deer with over the years with them
...and an equal number of innocent trees I'd imagine. :blackeye:
not with the muzzleloader.. slug guns and turkey guns you got that right :LMAO: :turkeywave:

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Did a penatration test with a big meat does face tonight with a 300 grain
barnes expander,outcome not good for the doe!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

devastator wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:38 pm Did a penatration test with a big meat does face tonight with a 300 grain
barnes expander,outcome not good for the doe!
Pictures!!!

And congrats to ya!

Return to “Gun Talk”