Grendel build

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Grendel build

Post by howl »

The goal for this build was a sub-7# low recoil, rust proof deer rig. My wife has that acidic sweat and never wipes guns down after using them. Tired of scrubbing rust, I decided to build one she couldn't ruin. 6.5 Grendel ballistics match well with the old .250 Savage. I hear that one works well on deer at the ranges she shoots. Total cost was slightly less than a Howa Mini sent out for nitriding. And as little as she shoots, I don't expect to ever even have to clean it!

Build list:
New Frontier polymer lower with MFT Minimalist stock (triggers aren't bad and safety is reversible, btw)
MFT pistol grip
Mil. spec. charging handle
Mil. spec. Forward assist
Toolcraft BCG with Grendel forum Monster bolt
Faxon light contour nitrided barrel 20"
Faxon nitride gas block and tube
ebay thread protector
Smoke Composites barrel nut
carbon fiber tube handguard
Aero Precision scope mount
Old heavy scope she likes for some reason

It did OK with Hornady factory 123gr SST loads.
Attachments
IMG_20171009_164725892.jpg
ATT_1507583691278_image-24092.jpeg
ATT_1507583137882_image-24093.jpeg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Grendel build

Post by Hoobilly »

I wish I could get a AR10 in the 7lb range!

thats a nice AR and I bet she's gonna love shooting a deer with it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Thanks. AR10 is a big gun. Carbon fiber barrel and boutique parts might get you there.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Looks good. Good luck to her on a deer. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Great looking rifle. That weight is amazing. I am totally uneducated on AR's. I have been considering a build as I have 9 and 6 year old daughters who wish to deer hunt some. I think the adjustability of an AR would be great for them. A couple questions. Is this an AR-15? I thought .223 was the only caliber choice for 15's. I was considering an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor but I believe options on 10's for components are much more limited except for caliber choices.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

It is an AR-15. I could switch this one to use .223 by replacing the bolt and barrel with ones for .223. There is a great variety of cartridges and specialty parts available to use in AR-15s these days. They go from rimfire to fifty caliber in factory rounds. You could build one weighing under four pounds if you wanted.

The big attraction to the 6.5 Grendel for me is the low recoil and the availability of cheap steel case ammo. Being able to assemble one myself fairly affordably isn't too bad, either. If you're looking for more power there is the 25 WSSM. ( http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-u ... ivers.html )
Factory ammo is limited for the 25 WSSM, but WInchester does a run about once a year, I think.

Return to “Gun Talk”