Comments on the How to Process a Deer string

Everything pertaining to deer.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Comments on the How to Process a Deer string

Post by HunterGKS »

Please post any comments/suggestions that you might have to make the post better.

Thx.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Comments on How to Process a Deer

Post by guesswho »

Load deer in back of truck. Drive to processor and drop deer off. Go back in about two weeks, pay the man and pick up processed deer.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: October 5th, 2017, 10:54 am Load deer in back of truck. Drive to processor and drop deer off. Go back in about two weeks, pay the man and pick up processed deer.
It's too damned expensive around here. I have already paid off all the equipment in the savings of not taking deer to a processor.
All it costs me now is for the spices & casings, both of which are of minimum cost, & my time, of which I have plenty.

I had a couple of bad experiences with processors & won't use them again until I an unable to process my own. Probably won't
be hunting then anyway.
George

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I save a ton on medical expenses by having someone else process it. :D
Double Naught Spy!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I save a ton on medical expenses by having someone else process it. :oops:
Double Naught Spy!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: October 5th, 2017, 11:23 am I save a ton on medical expenses by having someone else process it. :oops:
Maybe you should spend some of those savings to get your stuttering fingers fixed since you posted the same thing twice except the emoji.
Raspberry-1.jpg
ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif (47.53 KiB) Viewed 31369 times
George

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Now you see why I shouldn't use sharp objects. I did look at your other thread. If I ever shoot another deer I may bring it to you.
Double Naught Spy!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

:joker: I'm with Ronnie here.
My butchering of deer closely resembles a 70's slasher film when it's over.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Buy your wife a grinder? I age in a cooler for a few days, keeping as dry as possible, and then put it in the kitchen. You want to age on the bone so the meat doesn't draw up. Somehow it goes from there to my plate. :dontknow: Kinda like the rest of the fish and game around here, except somebody does the cleaning, too. Sure gonna miss the little tax deductions when they move out. Might have to practice catch and release!

Now for skinning, I do got a tip. Get an Opinel My First Knife, a Dexter Russell boning knife and a ceramic butcher's steel stick. Don't ever let them get dull. You refresh the ceramic by washing with soap. Slipping that Opinel between the meet and hide is like the hide has a zipper. Circle the ankles and the neck. Use pliers to pull the hide. If I'm waiting my turn at the rack, the thing will be just about completely done on the tailgate in a few minutes while I wait.

And get a bone saw to take a section out of the pelvis makes cleaning out in there much easier.
download.jpg
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

guesswho wrote: October 5th, 2017, 10:54 am Load deer in back of truck. Drive to processor and drop deer off. Go back in about two weeks, pay the man and pick up processed deer.
DITTO........................
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Yule

Post by Yule »

Get yourself a gambrel and a hand winch ( like the ones on a boat trailer ) to make the job easier. A meat saw, a sharp knife, and you are ready to go.
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

only ones I've ever killed were small and I just hung them by a nail on the barn door and peeled them down like a rabbit....
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I should have been more clear. I meant comments/suggestion on my string detailing how I Process a Deer.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Did you use a oven to cook it in.
I tryed it last year and it turned to shiit. Wasted a lot of deer.
Might try it again.
I process my own to but most of time just do hind quarters and shoulders(if not shot up bad) in jerky or barbecue.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Over the years, I've accumulated quit a nice little processing setup in my basement. Cabinets to store all my stuff, 1 1/2HP stainless grinder, Stuffer, Canning supplies, Stainless Triple sink with table area (I bought it for $25.00 with 2 Industrial faucets, it look like crap because they never removed the plastic film protector) LoL, Stainless Table, Vacuum Sealer, 4 burner stove, Knife sharpener, Bandsaw for cutting ribs and neck roast is about all I use it for, 40 Knives and the list goes on. I've done up to 26 deer in 1 season with some help for guys I hunt with, I can skin a deer in about 5 min in my garage with the pulley system, eye bolt in floor, golf ball and my garden tractor.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Fatmo wrote: October 5th, 2017, 9:02 pm I can skin a deer in about 5 min in my garage with the pulley system, eye bolt in floor, golf ball and my garden tractor.
Just mount a small electric winch and let that do the skinnin' job fer' ya' :thumbup:
My buddy has 2 mounted on his barn rafter in MI :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: October 5th, 2017, 8:56 pm Did you use a oven to cook it in.
I tryed it last year and it turned to shiit. Wasted a lot of deer.
Might try it again.
I process my own to but most of time just do hind quarters and shoulders(if not shot up bad) in jerky or barbecue.
At 1st I used the oven but did buy a Bradley Smoker with the auto-feed for the round, pressed wood discs.

I've found that low & slow produces the best results.
George

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote: October 5th, 2017, 10:54 am Load deer in back of truck. Drive to processor and drop deer off. Go back in about two weeks, pay the man and pick up who knows whose processed deer meat.
:lol: :mrgreen: :dontknow:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

timbrhuntr wrote: October 6th, 2017, 9:00 am
guesswho wrote: October 5th, 2017, 10:54 am Load deer in back of truck. Drive to processor and drop deer off. Go back in about two weeks, pay the man and pick up who knows whose processed deer meat.
Luckily for me my processor is a good friend of mine. I go turkey hunting with him a couple times a year and try to help him get one. He always tells me when I drop a deer off not to worry, he's going to put something extra special in mine. So getting someone else's deer is the least of my worries :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
MAK

Re: Comments on the How to Process a Deer string

Post by MAK »

I skin and debone - then processor; one of these days i hope to have the time to do one myself; I have redneck version of a industrial meat grinder (thanks DAD) - more knives than i have fingers,steel sharpener, meat saw, a great meat table / board for cutting up - I'd post a picture but I don't know how anymore......sigh

learned that propane torch trick a few years back, Dad was impressed dang kid taught him something.

found local German butcher shop makes great hickory smoked bologna. Dang I'm getting hungry.........
MAK
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

MAK wrote: October 6th, 2017, 2:49 pm

learned that propane torch trick a few years back, Dad was impressed dang kid taught him something.

A number of years ago I used to moose hunt. Once the moose was quartered and skinned there was always many hairs left. We spend time pulling off the hairs by hand. Well one year another group in camp decided to burn off the hairs on their quarters and ours. All I could smell for days and everytime I got out a piece of meat was burnt hair. I thought my buddy was going to shoot the guy. Thats what I always think of when I hear we use a propane tourch to burn the hairs off ! :slap:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote: October 6th, 2017, 11:18 am
timbrhuntr wrote: October 6th, 2017, 9:00 am
Luckily for me my processor is a good friend of mine. I go turkey hunting with him a couple times a year and try to help him get one. He always tells me when I drop a deer off not to worry, he's going to put something extra special in mine. So getting someone else's deer is the least of my worries :lol:
I usually take alot of care in the treatment of my game meat. Some guys I see take very little ! But my buddies always wanted to take the meat to a processor. One year I went in early to ask the guy to take out my meat he was going to grind as I was going do some myself. Imagine my surprise when I found out he put everyones meat together to make the burger/sausage grind. He weighed out the amounts supposedly and then threw everyones in the same pile to grind up. :angry5: After that I took my share of the meat out of the group and learned to do it myself.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

timbrhuntr wrote: October 6th, 2017, 3:24 pm I found out he put everyones meat together to make the burger/sausage grind.
BINGO!!!! That's 1 of the reason I quit taking my deer to a processor.
I think this is how the vast majority of them do it.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

timbrhuntr wrote: October 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm All I could smell for days and everytime I got out a piece of meat was burnt hair.
I've never had that problem with deer. Of course I get the smell for a few hours in
my butcher room but never with the meat. Sounds like the guy may have used the
torch to much. I have used this trick on squirrels but I ended up with some of the
meat pre-cooked. :banghead:
George

Prospector

Post by Prospector »

One possible solution to the hair-on-meat pblm. If you have access to water, wet the deer well after you hang and before you skin. Then if some gets on the meat it will easily wash off as opposed to if it gets on there dry. Old squirrel hunter from VA taught me that. Dry hair sticks like glue to the venison; soaked it comes off so much easier👌🏻. Then let it hang til it’s dry again and your trophy is ready to process. Congratulations!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Deer Hunting”