Federal muzzleloader bullets

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Federal muzzleloader bullets

Post by Hoobilly »

Has anyone tried these out yet?
Just picked up a pack

Will be a few weeks before I try them out
Attachments
45CE0773-D2BD-4EAE-BEA8-06AB508D669A.jpeg
3B84C370-FF7F-4C93-ACB1-86AC2FFE0FBE.jpeg
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Federal muzzleloader bullets

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Personally, Barnes and than everything else. I've only shot a muzzy for 7 or so years, as my primary deer weapon, ran the gamut of bullets. Only one I trust
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

As you and I both know what shoots good on paper doesn’t always work well on deer.

I have yet to find the combo that shoots gooder with Barnes.
Was hoping that these will group good enough and help keep the note cleaner

DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Hornady SSTs shoot well and perform well.

2Gbl
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

DBLGBL wrote: October 1st, 2017, 9:02 am Hornady SSTs shoot well and perform well.

2Gbl
Oh snap
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

This
DSCN3581.jpg
Vs this
DSCN0011.jpg
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I use T/C Shockwaves. They load good and shoot very well from my Omega. They perform very well on VA whitetails. I do limit my ML shots to 100-120 yards. I am not interested in shooting any further. I've learned over the years if something works well and performs well.........just stick with it!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

CamoMan4025 wrote: October 1st, 2017, 11:22 am I've learned over the years if something works well and performs well.........just stick with it!
Don't post that in any of the TSS strings. :stir: :LMAO:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

I would cast another vote for Barnes bullets. They have been by far the best muzzleloader bullet I have ever tried, especially the performance on game. I primarily hunt whitetail with these bullets, there has never not been a pass through for me, and I'm talking probably 40 to 45 deer killed with them.

One trick I have learned is if one sabot doesn't shoot well, call MMP sabots and ask what to try for good sabot to barrel fit. Also, try a heavier bullet sometimes, I tamed a wild T.C. Encore by going to a 300 grain from a 250 grain Barnes expander. Just like Icededturkes, Barnes all the way for me.....wont even try anything else.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

VALongbeard wrote: October 1st, 2017, 4:43 pm I would cast another vote for Barnes bullets. They have been by far the best muzzleloader bullet I have ever tried, especially the performance on game. I primarily hunt whitetail with these bullets, there has never not been a pass through for me, and I'm talking probably 40 to 45 deer killed with them.

One trick I have learned is if one sabot doesn't shoot well, call MMP sabots and ask what to try for good sabot to barrel fit. Also, try a heavier bullet sometimes, I tamed a wild T.C. Encore by going to a 300 grain from a 250 grain Barnes expander. Just like Icededturkes, Barnes all the way for me.....wont even try anything else.
Great advice on mmp!!!. I am shocked to have recovered one.

I love front stuffers, never in my life have I lost deer with a muzzy as we have snow during muzzy than when sal and I ran outta Barnes and went to Sst or shockwave, same bullets different package. Absolute garbage, if that's the only thing my gun would shoot I'd be on Craigslist. They shoot great but on game performance is a joke. I have more like the one recovered above with complete core jacket separation. Some may laugh I had better luck with powerbelts than sst/shockwave.

The xtp, fine bullets. Killed many with them. The Barnes Vortx are awesome too.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

If anyone can botch a bullet or load, Federal can be counted for on to lead the way.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: October 1st, 2017, 7:20 pm If anyone can botch a bullet or load, Federal can be counted for on to lead the way.
so you think the Federal TSS load is going to be a hit or miss? :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Icdedturkes,

Sorry you guys had bad luck. I have never had problems with these bullets killing deer or leaving blood trails. Can't put a number on the total over the years but I know last year alone 9 met their demise with this bullet. Not shooting hot loads either. 110 grains 777. I have a bullet, I will weigh from a buck I took at 214 yards (lasered). It did not pass through, but put him down in his tracks. We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

2Gbl
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I will side with Tom on this one. I have killed at least 50 deer with ML bullets other than Barnes and have recovered about 98% of the ones I have hit but other than the ones I dropped on their hooves there was very little blood. About 8 years ago I switched to Barnes. No comparison. I will also agree if I had a ML that would not shoot Barnes bullets I would trade. The MMP sabot choices already suggested are the key if you cannot get good groups with the packaged sabots. I love hunting with ML's. I shoot a Rem 700 45 cal with modified bolt nose and aftermarket breech plug that closes breech allowing use of Blackhorn 209. 195 gr Barnes at 2,250 and it is good to 300 + yards. Have a Savage 10 MLII 50 cal that shoots smokeless powder. 295 gr tipped Barnes at about 2,300 fps and it is good well past 300 yards. Also have a Knight Wolverine 50 cal that will shoot ragged holes at 100 yards with the 250 gr XTP and 777 powder. I switched to the 250 gr Barnes. Not quite as tight on paper but SO devastating on deer. I hunt it in the woods and keep shots at 150 or less. Just picked up an Austin and Halleck 50 cal that has a bolt nose and breech conversion that shoots rifle primers loaded in adapters simulating 220 swift case bases. It will be getting one of the Barnes bullets and I expect it to be good for 300 + yards.

I have killed at least 20 with Barnes bullets now. There is just no comparison for blood trails. Other bullets leave blood trails occasionally. Barnes almost always leave them. They are second to none for quick kills in my opinion. I used to just expect no blood trail with a ML. The Barnes bullets changed all that. I have several hundred bullets of all varieties that will just not get shot now.
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Check out Randy Wakeman on Youtube. He did some reviews on the Federal Trophy Copper ML bullet and they were positive if my memory serves me.

I personally shoot the Federal Trophy Copper (Barnes copy) in my .280's and can tell you that they're bad news on a deer. The expansion and weight retention are as good as you'll find. I've shot about 7 or 8 deer and 3 or 4 hogs with them thus far and all but two fell stone dead. All were pass throughs except for two I shot quartering hard to me. Here are the two I recovered:

If the ML version performs like the rifle version you'll be set!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

Hard to beat Barnes!
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

:violent1: ICEDEDTURKES, VAlongbeard & DRENALINLD,

So here's the deal..........In my avatar is a big BADGE! What that means is I'm a moderator! Hoobilly has entrusted me to keep the peace around here and since you've disagreed with me and my TC Shockwaves, well them I'm gonna have to BAN you 3................O U T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:slap: :slap: :slap: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 8:00 pm :violent1: ICEDEDTURKES, VAlongbeard & DRENALINLD,

So here's the deal..........In my avatar is a big BADGE! What that means is I'm a moderator! Hoobilly has entrusted me to keep the peace around here and since you've disagreed with me and my TC Shockwaves, well them I'm gonna have to BAN you 3................O U T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:slap: :slap: :slap: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
Shockwaves succccck
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

you need to listen to us, friends do NOT let friends shoot shockwaves could only expect worse if you shoot powerbelts.....you can ban me but I am not turning in my prostaff eff two fiddy
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

drenalinld wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 8:10 am you need to listen to us, friends do NOT let friends shoot shockwaves could only expect worse if you shoot powerbelts.....you can ban me but I am not turning in my prostaff eff two fiddy
Exactly, I've converted all my local friends :cheers:

But honestly Kevin if choose to stick with shockwave go to the bonded ones, teal tip
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 8:28 am
drenalinld wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 8:10 am you need to listen to us, friends do NOT let friends shoot shockwaves could only expect worse if you shoot powerbelts.....you can ban me but I am not turning in my prostaff eff two fiddy
Exactly, I've converted all my local friends :cheers:

But honestly Kevin if choose to stick with shockwave go to the bonded ones, teal tip
Bonded shockwaves!? I haven’t ever seen them for sale!

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Man those die hard shockwave shooters should jump on those.

I know I don’t trust them when I shot that 10 pointer years ago and had them fragment apart diagonally through that buck.

I think if that had been a barnes it would have folded up with one shot

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

DBLGBL wrote: October 1st, 2017, 9:02 am Hornady SSTs shoot well and perform well.

2Gbl
the Shockwaves SST Hornadys I used to shoot were the lighter grain bullets.

Shot extremely flat out to 300 yards like a laser.

But they fragmented on me personally. I shot a 2.5 year old 10 point at close range (20-25 yards) diagonally and he bolted

took out the rear of one lung and through liver guts and out the rear leg

at 170-200 yards quartering away from the other side my bullet entered in 1" from the others exit and into the front shoulder on the other side.

found both copper jackets, without much if any lead left in it. I found lead in both sides in the meat. I used to have the pictures etc but lost them years ago with a computer crash.

Thats when ICDED mention Barnes. Have shot them and a few other bullets. But the barnes were such great slug with the Federal Barnes Expander 20 ga load they had for years then discontinued. which sucks because they were flat out awesome shooting.

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Brice,

Just my .02 worth but about ten years ago my wife bought me a 50 cal. stainless Knight Disc Extreme for Christmas and I tried several (and I mean SEVERAL) different bullets and couldn't find anything that it would shoot well and then we were at Cabela's one day and they had some "Dead Center" bullets and I figgered I would give them a try, well to make a long story short they shot amazing and at 50 yards I can shoot through the same hole all day long......literally. the bullet is not jacketed and they do a tremendous job on deer. Cabela's no longer keeps them but I order them direct from the manufacturer, here is a link to them.

https://www.prbullet.com/shop/products. ... tegoryID=1

I shoot a 40 cal. 200 gr. bullet in my Knight and am VERY pleased with it, if you want me to send you 4 or 5 to try send me a msg.

Return to “Gun Talk”