Retirement destination

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Retirement destination

Post by howl »

Hang this heat! It's too hot to be on the lake by nine in the morning!

So, where to look forward to retire? Here's my requirements: in the South or somewhere else with an honor-based culture, no blame gnats!, fall turkey hunting, on a waterfowl flyway, flat topography, good rockfishing, good calico bass-speck-sac-au-lait, er, crappie fishing, libertarian politics...that's about all.

So far I'm thinking western Kentucky. I'm kinda overlooking the heat there, though. Might need a mountain getaway near good rockfishing for the non-hunting months. A cabin up around 3000' and an appropriate body of water nearby would do. How 'bout y'all?
swampchicken

Re: Retirement destination

Post by swampchicken »

I'm partial to Missouri 6 turkeys a year, 3 bucks a year (there are some nice ones), crappie are good to excellent, and a good fly way for ducks and geese.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I'll stay right here in the treasure state of Montana most of what you mentioned and none of what you didn't mention...........
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Yeah see you could go to any of these places
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My late buddy Chuck was a high school teacher in California that headed to the Yellowstone area when school was out and guided for a couple of seasons, then just lived in a camper and fished every day in Yellowstone area during summer break. When he retired, he did the same and added wintering in New Zealand, NZ's summer, and fished every day there. Chuck didn't marry until his early 70's. He lived the above routine until his mid 80's until his knees gave out and lived to his early 90's. He was one helluva guy and fisherman. When not fishing in Yellowstone area or NZ, he tied flies getting ready for his trips. Chuck is second from the left, I am third from the left, Clint and Bill flankers. On the banks of the Henry's Fork of the Snake in Last Chance, Idaho, about 30 years ago in the fall. Gil
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Michigan just got voted best state to live in
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Michigan just got voted best state to live in
:banghead: & I moved from there 12 yrs ago :banghead:

Wife didn't like the snow anymore and I don't miss it either, and then we get a storm here :shock:

But I don't fish or hunt deer and head back or somewhere else, when I want to turkey or fowl hunt, cause' taxes I save on not livin' there, sure help :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

GLS wrote:My late buddy Chuck was a high school teacher in California that headed to the Yellowstone area when school was out and guided for a couple of seasons, then just lived in a camper and fished every day in Yellowstone area during summer break. When he retired, he did the same and added wintering in New Zealand, NZ's summer, and fished every day there. Chuck didn't marry until his early 70's. He lived the above routine until his mid 80's until his knees gave out and lived to his early 90's. He was one helluva guy and fisherman. When not fishing in Yellowstone area or NZ, he tied flies getting ready for his trips. Chuck is second from the left, I am third from the left, Clint and Bill flankers. On the banks of the Henry's Fork of the Snake in Last Chance, Idaho, about 30 years ago in the fall. Gil
Awsome picture! NZ has been on my bucket list to go throw a fly!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I am going to retire where all they do is fish and have sex and they don't fish in the winter.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I agree with those other three on that hat.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I think if I were to move somewhere to retire I would be near the border of the state as to allow a short drive for out of state hunting or fishing.
MAK

Post by MAK »

"Retire" - I'm about due to buy 4 for the wife's car.

If'n I get to dreaming too much about 'retire' i'll get fired, and then get to be 'retired' b/4 i'm ready... but the clock is tickin.....
MAK
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Dreaming is right. I'm fortunate to have an easy job I enjoy. Retiring would not be much different. Many of us seem to un-retire and consult part time, etc. I'll probably retire late. I had kids late. If they listen to me, they'll keep me working until they finish grad school.

I am still liking the western TN or KY house with motorhome to hideout near a highland lake for the summer idea. Or something similar around TX/LA border. Didn't much like the looks of it, but I have only traveled through. I didn't like the looks of FL, but I enjoyed my years there.
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

Wyoming for me lots of hunting trapping fishing and few people I don't like many people
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'd go for one of those western states excepting all that wind makes me tired. Plus after what I did to my liver in my twenties I don't think I could last many of those indoor winters.

Hey, wait, is there somewhere that is without both gnats AND redbugs? Ah, a life without redbugs...
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Montana for this boy,hopefully near Ekalaka!Just a dream,prolly never happen!!
Prolly work till the day i die!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Michigan just got voted best state to live in
Hopefully if every thing turns out the way hope i
might find out this spring :mrgreen:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I was retired for 5 years until my youngest started high school and oldest medical school. Got back in the hamster wheel cage 9 years ago. Will step out of it again in a little over a year. No firm plans for the next chapter. Gil
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I like the Western Kentucky idea as well. Weather would be good, not unbearable winters, still in a good location as far as travel goes, gulf coast beaches are doable. Although I'd like a few more tags the deer and turkey hunting is awesome, and you're still in the Miss-uh-sip flyway, get the best of everything.
Pass the biscuits!!
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: July 12th, 2017, 10:45 am Michigan just got voted best state to live in
And Kid Rock running for Senate, I'd have to vote for it as well!
Pass the biscuits!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here's a point of reference about Montana as a retirement choice: Last trip I took to fish in the West Yellowstone area it was 32 degrees F at 630 a.m. first morning there. That was on a July 4th. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

32F in July sounds good to me. I just wouldn't care to be there January.

Our next vacation will probably be renting a 20' +/- motorhome and heading to Land Between the Lakes for a week or so. If we like it enough to spend a few months in it over the summers, that will be part of the plan.
honker22

Post by honker22 »

howl wrote: July 12th, 2017, 3:02 pm Dreaming is right. I'm fortunate to have an easy job I enjoy. Retiring would not be much different. Many of us seem to un-retire and consult part time, etc. I'll probably retire late. I had kids late. If they listen to me, they'll keep me working until they finish grad school.

I am still liking the western TN or KY house with motorhome to hideout near a highland lake for the summer idea. Or something similar around TX/LA border. Didn't much like the looks of it, but I have only traveled through. I didn't like the looks of FL, but I enjoyed my years there.
I live relatively close to the La/Tx border. If you get serious, I can try to persuade or dissuade.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

How's the redbug and gnat situation over there?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My Montana/Wyoming/Idaho connections were lucky. In addition to Chuck in the photo I posted, I knew the brother-in-law of a local man who every year after retirement from the USAF, would leave Warner Robbins, Ga, towing a large Airstream-type camper to the West Yellowstone area in May-June. He would take a northern route in those months. After the first snow, he'd head south and take a southern route back home. Vic was a serious fisherman, as was Chuck, and had the pulse on the Yellowstone area waters. He'd take his wife who would stay at the campground and knit during the day. I had the good luck to stay with Vic for two weeks when Gerry flew home early. Vic lived on the Warner Robbins AFB golf course and lived the life of Riley during his retirement, playing golf when he wasn't fishing in Yellowstone. I had a ball fishing with Vic during the times I went to Yellowstone. Between Vic and Chuck, I had the best fishing guides from two good men money couldn't buy. Gil

Return to “Gobbler Talk”