Red dot sight mounting question

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Red dot sight mounting question

Post by drenalinld »

I am ready to put a sight on my M2 20. In order of most desired to least I am considering Trijicon RMR dual illumination, Leupold Delta Point, Vortex Venom tied with Burris FF3. Low mounting and weight of combo trumps all for me. Can the others be mounted like a FF3 on a 336 base?? This is lowest setup I've seen.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Red dot sight mounting question

Post by killerstump »

Venom can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

killerstump wrote:Venom can

You have a pic? Which base?
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

drenalinld wrote:
killerstump wrote:Venom can

You have a pic? Which base?
Burris 336 base. My buddy has 1 on his m2 and I'm sending a Franchi al48 28ga to sumtoy Monday to put his Burris style base on and I'm ordering a venom for it.

drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

with sumtoy's base you have to put 336 or similar base on his plate then sight. So it is just a spacer block that fits certain contours better, correct? It will make Venom higher I believe.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

drenalinld wrote:with sumtoy's base you have to put 336 or similar base on his plate then sight. So it is just a spacer block that fits certain contours better, correct? It will make Venom higher I believe.
I'm in the understanding its his version of the 336. Meaning sight mounts to it but I could be wrong. Don't quote me hopefully he may chime in here

But here is my best buds venom on his m2

killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

And I could be wrong drenalin but the rmr should fit 336 too

turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

drenalinld wrote:with sumtoy's base you have to put 336 or similar base on his plate then sight. So it is just a spacer block that fits certain contours better, correct? It will make Venom higher I believe.
I don't believe that's right but haven't seen one in person. If that is true why even use the sumtoy base to begin with? Even with very little contact on the m2 with the 336 base I've never had it shift. I would go with with vortex over the Burris just cause of the extra light intensities. Burris will still starburst in sunlight on the lowest setting whereas the extra light settings on the venom you can dial it down to where there's no starburst
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

You are correct. It looks thicker on the sides but that is just becaus it is radishes on bottom like a Remington receiver. Sight height should be real similar to Burris base for Marlin 336 part # 410333.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yes, the Sumtoy version of the 336 base screws to the receiver and the sight screws directly to that. It is slightly higher than a 336 base, but I mean slightly...maybe 1/32. I just mounted one up the other day. If I were you, I would still drill the holes in the receiver 1/2" apart in case you ever wanted to use a 336 base because the 336 base is not slotted like the Sumtoy base.
Ultimate Predator
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

drenalinld wrote:You are correct. It looks thicker on the sides but that is just becaus it is radishes on bottom like a Remington receiver. Sight height should be real similar to Burris base for Marlin 336 part # 410333.
Sumtoy posted one on an m2 in this thread. I'm going to get one on the way. I'd do the half inch spacing to like MKW stated just to have some kind of standard spacing. The Burris also uses 8-40 screws whereas I think sumtoy can do either but check. I'm having him send me 8-40 since mines already drilled for it.

http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=13754
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

It does not match radius so I don't get the appeal over a Burris base for Marlin 336. What am I missing? The part that appeals to me about Sumtoy mount is you can space holes more than 1/2" apart making it stronger. I might even put 3?in it if I use it. On rear and one each at front and rear of slot.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

drenalinld wrote:It does not match radius so I don't get the appeal over a Burris base for Marlin 336. What am I missing? The part that appeals to me about Sumtoy mount is you can space holes more than 1/2" apart making it stronger. I might even put 3?in it if I use it. On rear and one each at front and rear of slot.
I'm sure you could get 3 screws in it, but I really can't see the point. How strong does it have to be?? I've had a FFII on a 336 base on my M1 since 2009 with no problems at all and I'm not gentle on my turkey guns.
Ultimate Predator
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

You are probably right. I have just heard several horror stories. But with only a 336 base or Sumtoy's base and a light weight mini reflex sight it's overkill.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

And so glad you made trumpets as long as you did. My Malaysian Blackwood is straight up killer!!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

drenalinld wrote:And so glad you made trumpets as long as you did. My Malaysian Blackwood is straight up killer!!
LOL...I'm glad you like it and are putting it to good use. I was out in the shop today looking at how much work I need to do to get back to the lathe.
Ultimate Predator
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

this mounts to the gun then sight to it.
Attachments
16299895_1409950899028946_6147562797909895451_o.jpg
Daniel44114

Post by Daniel44114 »

With a red dot mounted scope, you put the red dot on the thing you’re going to destroy and gently squeeze the trigger.

Assuming you’ve sighted the red dot scope properly at the distance you’re shooting, bullet should go to the red dot.

I’m not familiar with using a red dot on a pistol. I have red dots on my shot gun and green dots on a few ARs.

Red dot is excellent for shooting deer. I’m guessing the green dots on the ars will be good for shooting non deer.

I got one would never bother with a red dot on a pistol. I think it makes it unwieldy, difficult to carry, danger of knocking the scope making it ineffective and essentially useless.

I think red dots are good for fast target acquisition, for things like hunting.

Now , green lasers powered for 100 yards, that my old eyes can’t see anyway, those are pretty cool for shooting from the hip with an ar. And probably any other long gun.

Just my opinion. Happy to learn more for others and their experience.

This is also a good read: Best Aimpoint for AR 15 – AR 15 Pro Optics
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Dots on pistols are excellent for hunting and target shooting. Not real practical for your carry weapon if that's what you mean
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

This target is from 20 yards, supported. Ruger Target .22. 5 1/2” bbl. UltraDot MatchDot ll.
D3734482-F00E-4AC6-A73E-38644474D2AD.jpeg
C7FA4DA1-98A9-4795-979A-F92E3E150D2E.jpeg
Attachments
B900FD87-56A3-48F9-8AAA-3209E442F7FE.jpeg
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hognutz wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm This target is from 20 yards, supported. Ruger Target .22. 5 1/2” bbl. UltraDot MatchDot ll.

D3734482-F00E-4AC6-A73E-38644474D2AD.jpeg
C7FA4DA1-98A9-4795-979A-F92E3E150D2E.jpeg
mean machine!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gun Talk”