2017 New York Fall Turkey Hunting Trip

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2017 New York Fall Turkey Hunting Trip

Post by HunterGKS »

I got to Norwich about 03:45 Friday, 10/20/2017, afternoon, delivered some goodies & headed to The Roost. We had a supper of Bucyrus brats with the usual side dishes.

Saturday, 10/21/17, was opening day of New York’s’ fall turkey season. Ron, his son Allen, Ron’s son, Walt, & Walt’s friend, Earl hit the woods with Jinger Lou at about 08:30. A flock was found but, for unknown reasons, a break didn’t happen. We hit an area behind The Roost with no luck.

Sunday, Ron, Allen, Allen’s Grandson, & I hit a couple of areas with no sightings. Al & his brother Ken got to camp about 01:00 P.M & headed across the road while I trimmed trees along the lane & ran an errand. Ron went to his Grandson Evans football game.

Monday morning, Ron, AL, Ken, & I hit a couple of spots with no activity. Ron had to go to work in the afternoon & I did some camp chores while Al & Ken went across the road to hunt. Again, no luck. See my other story for what happened at 11:00 this morning. After that, I was lucky enough to get a young hen in the corn field next to The Roost that had been chopped Sunday. This was the 1 & only wild bird I saw.

Tuesday, we all went to the woods that are owned by Ron’s gun club. I wandered around taking pics & enjoying the nice weather & woods. They did get a break but the birds wouldn’t cooperate.

Wednesday, Ron, Al, & Ken went out for most of the morning with no birds sighted. I spent the day doing some clean up, enjoying being in the mountains & just chillaxing for the drive home on Thursday.

Thursday I had planned on being on the road between 07:00 & 07:30 but I woke up at 04:00 & tossed & turned until I finally got up, finished loading the truck, & hitting the road at 05:50. It was an uneventful drive until just west of Cleveland on I-90 when an complete & total a-hole decided he wanted to be where I was. Luckily, when I’m in traffic, I am especially watchful & knew he was going to move on me. My front end was even with the drivers door so he had to know I was there but just didn’t care. I laid on the horn, moved so far left that I was on the other side of the rumble strips, & locked up the binders. I don’t know how I missed those uprights that were along the edge of the berm. I got home around 2 to end another successful & fun time at The Roost. Thanks again Ron for a great time.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2017 New York Fall Turkey Hunting Trip

Post by soiltester »

I'm more than sure the trip and time were well worth the effort and you had just enough fresh turkey for camp!! :thumbup:

Don't ya' wish ya' had the old pick-up ?? Then you could've just let the "azzet" try and side swipe you, or did he/she have a "bigger' truck :LMAO:

What type of milage did you get on this trip??? But then again, you're on a pretty flat road trip through out :lol:
As I said before, I'm sure happy with my Colorado as I'm 5 mph over posted speed, all the way to MI from SC and back, mountains and flat land alike :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2017 New York Fall Turkey Hunting Trip

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: October 28th, 2017, 3:04 pm I'm more than sure the trip and time were well worth the effort and you had just enough fresh turkey for camp!! :thumbup:

Don't ya' wish ya' had the old pick-up ?? Then you could've just let the "azzet" try and side swipe you, or did he/she have a "bigger' truck :LMAO:

It was a mini-van & the old truck was still pretty much like new. I did pull up alongside him later but the chickenschitt wouldn't even look at me.

What type of milage did you get on this trip??? But then again, you're on a pretty flat road trip through out :lol:

NY definitely isn't flat. I got 23 even on the trip there & 20.7 over all.

As I said before, I'm sure happy with my Colorado as I'm 5 mph over posted speed, all the way to MI from SC and back, mountains and flat land alike :lol:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”