beautiful day to be in the woods

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

beautiful day to be in the woods

Post by hawglips »

Went out today and hunted hard all morning, but was unable to find anything. Found a nice place to sit down and eat lunch, and decided to stretch out and take a nap. Dozed off a little, and laid around for about an hour or so, and called every now and then.

About 1:40, immediately after a lost yelp series on the box, I heard a single note yelp in response. It was the first turkey sound I'd heard all day. I sat up, whirled around to face the sound, and fumbled for my mouth call. Before I could get a hold of it, I saw the turkey standing by the edge of a swamp, with the body posture of "come on if you want company, but I ain't coming no closer." So, I put the bead on her and let 'em go.

She'd been feeding in the willow oaks...
Fatmo

Re: beautiful day to be in the woods

Post by Fatmo »

Congrats. Our area in NW Pa. has had a very low turkey count ( We think the Fisher has a lot to do with it ) so we all decided to let the hens go this year.
I sat there today, but I was not wanting to fall asleep. I was rudely awoken by my buddy throwing a stick to wake me up saying "shut up your snoring"
It was a beautiful here also. Back to sleeping in a treestand on mon. " Yes I have a harness"
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Good job Hal
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hal, Dontcha just love it when a plan comes together!! LOL Congrats!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Very nice
Momma said "kill that turkey"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Sometimes ya' do yer' best work snoozin' a bit!! :LMAO:

nicely done & congrats :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Interesting array of seeds and acorns in her craw. The only good thing resulting from a nap for me in the woods was sleep. It also cost me a bird during spring season a few years ago. I laid my gun against a fallen deer stand and I started ZZing about 5 feet away. Before i dozed, I ran a series of calls on the box. When he gobbled, he was so loud that I thought he swallowed me. I had no idea where he was. I've never shot a turkey without a gun and that was my downfall when I crawled towards the gun. I still don't know where he was. Gil
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

Congrats on the beautiful bird. Looks like she was choking down those acorns.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Gil, I think the key is laying the gun across your lap ready to shoot while you doze. :wink: I've killed two turkeys in my life like that, and both were in the last year and a half. I'm beginning to think maybe it's a legitimate strategy. As I get older and slow down some, I'm thinking it'll become a more and more valuable (are at least more used) weapon in my arsenal. :lol:

I'd never set foot in there where I ended up killing her, and was exploring some after a very slow but beautiful morning. I'd come across a doe being chased by a young six point buck. She pranced on by with her tail up about 50 yds away and never sensed me there at all. Then he came by on the same track about 100 yds behind her with his head down and grunting. He stopped after catching a whiff of me, and circled back, and came up to me about 15 yds away, never figuring out what I was. It was a nice, beautiful-day-in-the-fall-woods bonus.

I'd been on my feet for 6 and a half hours, and came across a place about 12:30 or so that I figured was a nice place to sit down, eat and rest a spell. It was a confluence of a hardwood bottom, with a pine ridge jutting into it and a cut-over about 100 yds away. There were squirrels running around and a nice tree with an old log beside it for good cover right there at the edge. I ended up being fortunate enough that a turkey (she appeared to be by herself) heard my calls and came in and made that one-note yelp that alerted me.

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”