Fall Turkey Dogging in New York

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Fall Turkey Dogging in New York

Post by HunterGKS »

I got to the Norwich Civic Center a little before 3 Friday, 10/15/16, filled up the Dodge, & met Ron at his house. After dropping off some local jam, cherry butter, & world famous Carle’s brats from Bucyrus, we headed to The Roost to finish getting the camp ready & unloading the truck. Walt arrived a little later &, when Kathy arrived, we had a supper of brats, tator & mac salad, slaw, & BBQ baked beans.

Opening morning, we hit the sap woods next to The Roost but no luck. Walt & I walked along the corn field to the lane & headed back to the cabin busting 2 birds from the trees. Ron & Jinger Lou started at the road end of the woods behind the cabin & busted 1 from the trees. We re-grouped & moved across the road. Ron, Jinger Lou, & Walt headed up into the woods & I went down to the power line to set-up. Again, no joy. Ron & I drove around looking for birds & had 3 nice gobs cross the road in front of us. We drove around quite a bit but didn’t see anything else.

Saturday morning, Ron & Jinger Lou went to the far end of the sap woods, I went to the middle, & Walt to the other end. JL got a break that sent birds every where. There were birds to the left of me, birds to the right, & there I was, stuck in the middle with no birds.

I don’t remember exactly when these other events occurred, but the 4 of us did a lot of walking in the woods across from The Roost as well as a lot of driving. We did see a flock of at least 15-20 birds but they were on property to which Ron doesn’t have access. Walt left Sunday afternoon.

Ron, JL, & I went to the Honey Hole & did a lot of working but no birds. Later, Ron drove the Gator to there & I followed in his car. We drove the Gator up to the old RR tracks with Ron & JL walking to the far end & I went down a little & set-up. JL got a good break on a good sized flock. Ron came & got me & we went to the area of the break. I set-up on the edge of ridge with a large tree at my back & a stone wall on my left. Ron was about 30 yards to my left. It didn’t take long before the birds started calling. Ron & I were both calling/kee keeing & there were several birds below us responding really well. I could here a bird coming right up behind my tree so I shut-up. Ron could see everything as it happened & he hoped that the bird would continue on & give me a shot. A nice jake came right up to the tree, probably less than 10’ behind me but I couldn’t do a thing. If he had kept going straight, he would have walked past me on my right giving me a shot but, instead, he turned to his right & headed across the top of the ridge. I turned & brought the 11-87 to shoulder but he never gave me a shot. I watched as it reached a flat & saw at least 12 more birds joining him & they all headed down the mountain. On the way out, JL busted 3 more from the trees but they also went down hill.

Al came in Tuesday & we hunted the Honey Hole Wednesday morning but nada. We did a lot of driving around but saw no birds except a big gobbler but we were in a scouting mode.

I headed home Thursday morning at 7. It started to rain shortly after I left steadily for over an hour & sporadically all the way home to Ohio with 1 storm being so bad that the wipers at full speed couldn’t handle it. I thought I would have to pull over but it didn’t last long. About 10 miles from the NY/PA border on I87, I noticed a truck parked on the east bound shoulder. The median had large concrete barriers on both sides for as far as I could see. At this point, I thought I was having an optical “delusion” as the truck appeared to be backing up diagonally across the interstate at high speed. When it hit the concrete block & bounced up in the air, I realized that the moron driver had backed up across the interstate. I was surprised that the truck didn’t flip on its side or that the rear end didn’t hang up on the blocks. After he stopped bouncing, he drove across to the shoulder & parked. The rear end of the truck was all tore up. I would love to see what he told his insurance company.

I got home about 3 with no other incidents. It was a great trip & good to visit with old friends again. Thanks Ron, can’t wait for the spring season.

The 1st 4 pics are of the sunset & the 5th the moon rise on the same evening. The next 2 pics are of the sunrise the next morning. The next pic is of Jinger Lou. The rest of the pics are of the foliage around Gobblers Roost with the last 2 being The Roost itself. A great place to spend a few days with good friends, a good dog, & great hunting.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fall Turkey Dogging in New York

Post by soiltester »

The Roost area, is just as beautiful as ever :thumbup:

Ya' just can't beat a good peaceful times with good friends, doing what you enjoy most :salute:

I sure hope you got enough exercise to walk off those pounds ya' put on :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fall Turkey Dogging in New York

Post by hawglips »

Beautiful pics!

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”