Couple more fall birds...

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
toasty

Couple more fall birds...

Post by toasty »

These fall toms have been kicking my butt. Could have shot dozens of jakes, but these toms know how to stay hidden. I was able to roost a group of Tom's the night before. Snuck in at first light after flydown and they were exactly under the trees they roosted on. After a good lookover in the binoculars, there were 2 good toms in the group, but they were pushed up the hill from either a coyote or fox. I moved up the hill and got in location as they came over the ridge. Picked the first one of the 2 that came over and shot him. As I watched them move, from a closer distance, the other gobbler was a little better, but I am happy with my hard earned bird.

Ran the bird home and picked up a couple of my little hunters to take after the other tom. 2 miles hiking through some pretty steep terrain, we finally spotted the toms as they fanned and chased yelping hens around and they had joined a flock of about 150 birds. We hiked back the truck and drove around the mountain and put a stock on the birds. They busted and we watched all 150 birds fly right over us. That is an amazing sight. The kids kept asking which ones the toms were, but I couldn't tell while they were flying. On the other side of the ravine, they were scattered and I had no idea where the toms ended up. We moved in and missed a shot on a 1 1/2 year old jake. We continued our pursuit and finally had this guy give a 20 yard easy shot. Couldn't pass it up and the smile says it all. These little guys did over 4 miles today on rough terrain which included a couple falls and a couple cuts, but they handled it like grown men.

Last edited by toasty on November 15th, 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAK

Re: Couple more fall birds...

Post by MAK »

Great memories there congrats

I’ve never seen a flock that big wow
MAK
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

When ya take into account those little guys have to take 2-3 steps to equal and adult step, they are real troopers for sure, go job on taking the little guys along.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome pics, and a awesome story!!! WTG fellas congrats :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”