Beautiful Fall Morning

Everything pertaining to deer.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Beautiful Fall Morning

Post by davisd9 »

We are finally getting a little fall weather here in SC after Michael rolled through. Our rifle opener for my game zone was Thursday but with the storm I sat it out, could have went that afternoon, but I do not like hunting in a wind over 10 mph, even just gusts. Took off Friday cause it was supposed to be in the 50s for lows and 70s high. Got up Friday morning to a welcomed 55 degrees, was hoping for 10 less degrees but I will take it. Got to the stand and got set up on the power line over looking some dropping white oaks. When getting in the tower stand I noticed a small red wasp nest in the from left corner with 4-5 wasp. We made a deal that if they stayed on their side I would stay on my side, they were not aware of my plan to come back with some spray later and destroy them so they agreed and kept their word. I kept my word as well, including the word to myself. [emoji1]

About 8:00 am I have a deer that I catch the back end of crossing the 20 yard power line to the oaks I was watching. Of course I was looking the other way when they came across and just caught the rump. Well I was watching as I could see it moving through the leaves. Eventually it crossed back and I could tell it was a buck. I put glass on it and in the split second I had I decided to let it pass. I just did not have the time to study it good enough to feel good about shooting him. Either way the sit was a success, I at least saw a deer and a bonus it was a buck.

Later that morning I looked to the other side and saw a black blob about 150 yards away. It looked like it was kind of down the ridge and my first thought was it was the back of a hog so I got my rifle up for when it popped on up I could take a shot, the nasty creatures are all over the property. When I got my rifle up on it I quickly realized it was a feeding hen that was fat. So I put down the rifle and picked up the binos to try and learn some behavior. She quickly fed into the trees and there was gravy to go on top of the success.

I had considered getting down around 9:00 to 9:30 as I wanted to check the stand for my evening hunt, but thing were going well that I decided 9:30 to 10:00 was a better choice. Around 9:00 I saw the dreaded sight, 2 black blobs popped out under the oak the buck had been out. I heard the squeals and grunts, there were more. A second later a decent sow stepped out to be seen just to turn back and get where I did not have a shot. She quickly became my target. I moved up to try to get a better view and got the rifle in position for if she gave me a shot. About that time I noticed she was getting pushed a little, hmm she was probably 125-150# so whatever was pushing her must have a little more size to it. Whichever gave the best opportunity was going to be the one I went after.

A couple minutes pass and three small hogs are feeding in view and two cross and go to woods on the other side. About this time the sow is stepping in the clear trying to avoid the other hog. I get the gun shouldered and look down the scope when I realize what is harassing her. A big boar is behind her trying to mount her. They are facing away from me so I try to pick out a spot between his shoulder blade when they turn and stop facing me kind of quartering to my left. I pick out a spot right behind the shield and squeeze the trigger. I see my 130 gr Sierra Gameking from my 270 win blow up dirt behind him at 100 yards, surely I did not miss but I did not expect the soft core bullet to go through him. Regardless he took off to my left like lighting and the rest took off to my right squealing and raising cane. I hear a squeal and a crash in the hard wood bottom.

I quickly pack my bag and get down from the stand. I take out my video camera to record the events of the hunt for my son and to let him follow along with the track job. Walk down to where the hog was and find no blood but can see the tore up trail from where he bolted off. Pulled my side arm in case the job was not finished and started trailing. I see a black blob on the ground about 20 yards off and I put my rifle on it and it is him. I watch him through the scope to make sure he is not moving. He is just lying there. I put the rifle on my shoulder and start to circle him keeping trees between us. I am not scared of hogs but a big wounded boar is not something I wanted to tangle with if I did not have too, and I have had them get pretty nasty when they could not tell I was human cause of it being dark and me down wind of them.

I eventually pick out a tree a few feet from his head and get it between us. I stand there with my side arm on him and he is not moving. I walk over and kick him and he is gone. I was actually surprised when I found him as he was a bit larger than I originally thought. I dragged him out of the cover he had to dive into and that was enough dragging of him for me. I am not a fan of hogs and wish they were not around but they are some amazing animals that are tough and gritty. I was a bit in awe by the old warrior and one of his tusks was broken, of course in my mind it was from all the magnificent battles he was apart of and won. Regardless I was grateful to be in the woods with as much action as I saw and do my part to help curb the population of hogs, there are so many hogs in this area that the small town there actually traps them in town and peoples yards. They are everywhere.

I hunted Friday evening and saw two hens and then again Saturday evening from my gobbler lounger having two small bucks walk by at 20 yards and under. Ground hunting that way is my favorite way to hunt deer as even the small deer that close will get the adrenaline pumping. It was a fun weekend and I look forward to my next trip in the the Almighty's creation! Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAK

Re: Beautiful Fall Morning

Post by MAK »

Good shooting and some good sausage headed your way
MAK
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hog daddy! Whatta boar! Good shooting! Killm all!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
crow

Post by crow »

congrats on a nice one, and good shooting

Return to “Deer Hunting”