2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 2, 3, 4

Everything pertaining to deer.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 2, 3, 4

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 2

It was 43, moonless, & windy at 06:25. At 07:35, the sun came up as a huge yellow ball which must have awakened a red that went tearing past the blind. At 08:40, a fox hopped past on my right & a red took off after it chasing it back the way it came. At 09:10, a coyote trotted eastward from the south side of the woods way too far for a shot. At 11:50, the fox & red showed up again. They came & went several times. I’m not sure if the red was trying to chase of the fox or if they had a little sumptin-sumptin going on.

The warmth had brought out dozens & dozens of Japanese Beetles. It was time-filling watching them run around hither & yon, their little legs just a gittin’ it. They seemed to like roaming up & down my 11-87 barrel & the scope & seemed to have races a couple of times. At 02:15, a Coopers Hawk flew past & landed in a tree to my right. I was hoping it would take a red to lunch but it flew off empty taloned.

At 03:20, 9 antlerless deer came through from the east at about 50 yards. I’m not sure what happened but I missed. I spent 25 minutes looking for any sign indicating a hit but found absolutely nothing so it must have been a clean miss.

It was a long day with only 9 deer being seen & at the end of the day at that.

Day 3

I went to the Doctor’s in Columbus this afternoon with great trepidation. Everything is “perfectly normal” to use the Doc’s words. I thanked him & told him he lifted a great weight from my shoulders.

Day 4

After a fairly good nights sleep, I hit the woods at 06:40, 43, overcast, & windy with intermittent showers between noon & 04:00. The sun came up at 07:30 nice & bright but not as fiery as Mon. & Tues. At 09:00, a fox went into the field south of me, found a bean, & headed back into the woods. At 09:05, 9 antlerless moved along the south side of the woods moving east. Could it have been the 9 from Tues afternoon moving back? At 10:30, it started to rain & continued until 01:45. The upside was that the wind laid down except for the occasional gust. A few Hairy Woodpeckers & Black Caps flew in to help break the boredom.

At 03:10, I looked east & there was a herd of deer moving to the west. There had to be at least 20 with 1 or more good bucks. Hey hit the woods on the run & that was it for the day. I plan to be out again tomorrow.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

KPcalls

Re: 2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 2, 3, 4

Post by KPcalls »

Sounds like a fun time. I noticed you spend a lot of time hunting at 03:00 what type of spot light do you use...?
Asking for a friend....LOL.. Just messing with you.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

That's why there is Military Time. Of course old guys would need a pocket calculator to do that pesky add/subtract 12. Good luck George. The warm deer season in OH is giving some of the local boys fits. Betting Saturday will see a large kill. Some claim they are going to wait until late muzzleloader in Jan.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Keep at it the past week I have been seeing the big boys out in daytime again. I watched a nice 10 point chase several does around and then chase off a smaller 8 point. The 8 point came to my decoy later the next day all bristled up and in bow range at 1630 hrs or 04:30 in George time but he's not the one I want LOL
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

" Everything is “perfectly normal” to use the Doc’s words."

Are you sure he Didn't Say<"A B Normal?" :bootyshake:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

gblrsrst wrote: December 2nd, 2017, 8:31 am " Everything is “perfectly normal” to use the Doc’s words."

Are you sure he Didn't Say<"A B Normal?" :bootyshake:
No & he didn't even say Abby Normal.
Flipping the Bird.gif
Flipping the Bird.gif (238.55 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Deer Hunting”