2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 1

Everything pertaining to deer.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 1

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 33, calm, & moonless when I got to my parking spot this morning. At 07:30, I heard a shot to my west in the adjacent woods. At 07:45, a fox came out on a limb in front of me along the edge of the woods. It seemed like it was posing for me as it provided many “easy” shot opportunities. I think it was taunting me & the only thing missing was a little sign that read: “CAN’T TOUCH THIS!!!!” Nothing else stirred until 09:20 when a fox came to visit followed closely by a red. I heard 1 stirring around under the stand. I looked to the edge of the woods & spotted a doe feeding right on the edge. I couldn’t get a clear shot & had to wait until it finally took a few steps into the field, got spooked, & ran back into the woods. It moved around for a few minutes & then headed NW. At 09:35, I heard 2 shots from the direction the doe had headed.

At 10:10, I saw 2 white flicks, as in tail, in the same spot where I had last seen the doe. I didn’t see anything else, so figured it was a leaf or something. But, at 10:20, I did see the deer that made the flicks. It piddled around for a bit & also disappeared. I suspect it was the same doe as earlier. I got a call from Ma Nature & while answering it, saw 2 foxes playing tag. I was just about ready to get back into the blind when I saw the doe standing broadside to me doing the head bob. I always keep the 11-87 close at hand & picked it up. When I looked back, I couldn’t find the deer until it blew & took off. About 15 minutes after I sat back down. I saw the doe back in the same spot as earlier. It finally took off & I didn’t see it again.

I got a call from my BIL telling me they were pushing the woods to my east towards me. At 10:40, a coyote ran past too far & fast for a shot. T 10:50, 4 antlerless deer ran past but none stopped long enough for a shot & I don’t like shooting at running deer.

It had warmed up quite a bit but then the winds started to pick up around noon making it pretty chilly.

At 01:00, a drive was started at the west end of he woods so I got out & positioned myself so I could look into the woods to the north & the field to the south. A big doe ran east along the north side of the woods & a few minutes later, shots rang out. Not sure if they got her or not.

By 03:30, the wind was pretty strong on the south side of the woods & I heard a couple of limbs pop so I decided that discretion was the better part of valor & headed out to try again tomorrow.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 1

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMMMM .. where's the 17 when ya' need it???? :banghead:

That's why it's called huntin', correct :thumbup:
I'd say, a great day in the woods fer' ya'!!!! :cheers:

AND I DIN'T MISS LOOKIN' At TREES ONE BIT :stir:

But I need to go up to my blind, about 450' from the house one night by Jan 1, and see if the trail cams are lyin' to me :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Good luck. No reports from my Meigs County connections as yet. Weather looks pretty good up there for the week.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Sounds like fun. I have only sat twice at home and have seen 15 deer mostly does and a couple young bucks. All in bow range but only have one buck only tag. Did see a big 8 point chasing a doe in a field as I was leaving yesterday and saw several fresh rubs so the big boys maybe finally cruising my little woods!

Return to “Deer Hunting”