Excellent Mineral Mix for Deer

Everything pertaining to deer.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Excellent Mineral Mix for Deer

Post by slickyboyboo »

This is a mix I formulated and have been using for around 10 years. It has some scientific value to it, and the deer seem to love it. This recipe cost $45-$50, and makes 157 lbs of mix, which is enough for 6-10 sites depending on how much you put out.

1-50 lb bag of a quality all around "Free Choice" mineral
1-50 lb bag of a quality spring "Free Choice" mineral
1-50 lb bag of Stock Salt
2-1 lb boxs of Baking Soda
2-2lb bags of Powder Sugar
1 container of Pre-Sweetened Grape Koolaid

(The powder sugar and koolaid are only needed if you are trying to attract deer to a new mineral site)

This recipe uses free choice minerals, which allows more useable vitamins and minerals on top of the trace minerals that the deer can utilize, as well as other additives to increase the well being of the targeted species.

I used the 2 separate free choice minerals for specific reasons, the all around mineral, because it is just that a very balanced general mineral mix, that is very low in salt (max 20%), so you get more needed minerals per 50# bag that the deer can utilize. It also has dry molasses in it so it helps with palatability since most pure minerals tend to be bitter. The spring mineral is also a low salt mineral, but it being a spring mineral, it helps the deer in early spring to overcome their magnesium deficiency, the same as cattle before they are put on pasture in the spring. Quality "Free Choice" minerals have a good Calcium to Phosphorus ratio close to 2:1.

The reason for the baking soda, is, it acts as a rumen buffer, keeping the pH of a deer's digestive tract in check, basically keeping stomach aches away. The plain stock salt is for spring and summer, as the deer will naturally go through a sodium deficiency because the moisture and potassium content of the lush green vegetation they eat, interferes with efficient sodium conversion in the body and increases their need for sodium. The sugar and koolaid is just for the initial wow factor, to help the deer locate the site, and is gone relatively quickly.

To add to this the best free choice mineral to use for an approximate 2:1 Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, is TSC's Producers Pride "Range Mineral" for a general mineral, and Cargill "Emerald" for a spring mineral (the Emerald mineral might not be available at TSC). Both of these range from 2.1-2.25:1 Cal to Phos ratio.
Last edited by slickyboyboo on June 20th, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
taylorjones20

Re: Excellent Mineral Mix for Deer

Post by taylorjones20 »

Where can you get all of this at? Tractor supply?
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

That's where I get my mineral at. The rest at Walmart or the grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Freshened up a few mineral sites yesterday. Also put a new one in, for the heck of it, in a place I found some heavy clay soil.

Spurred

Post by Spurred »

This is interesting and definitely cheaper than Lucky Buck. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for posting.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Spurred wrote:This is interesting and definitely cheaper than Lucky Buck. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for posting.
No problem!

Yeah Lucky Buck will cost you $25/20lb bucket, so $500 for 120 lbs.

My recipe costs you $45-50 and makes 157 lbs.

My recipe also aligns pretty much spot on with the deer's needs, according to the below article by Dr. Kroll, from 2014.

Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I'll give it a chance!
Momma said "kill that turkey"
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Spurred wrote:This is interesting and definitely cheaper than Lucky Buck. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for posting.
Bigspurs68 wrote:I'll give it a chance!
Eventhough it's late, if you put any of this mix out, post up some pics here for others to see.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I never can find the stuff. Even at my local Tractor supply. Find it on line and TSC is a supplier ,supposedly ,but TSC says they never heard of it.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

redarrow wrote:I never can find the stuff. Even at my local Tractor supply. Find it on line and TSC is a supplier ,supposedly ,but TSC says they never heard of it.
TSC should have their free-choice mineral and stock salt, year round, at any store.

Return to “Deer Hunting”