Problem with a call maker - what would you do?

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
Jourdan_D

Problem with a call maker - what would you do?

Post by Jourdan_D »

I bought an ivory tip striker from a well known call maker. It was by far my favorite in my vest. Had it threw a season of turkey hunting and at the end of the season noticed it was sounds weird. Looked at the tip and it was cracked. Sent the guy an email to see if he could make me another and I would gladly pay him for the new striker. He emailed me back saying to send the broke one back and he would replace the tip for free. I Send it back to him. Over the course of 3 months I email him 2 times to check progress 1st response was he put a new tip on and didn't like the sound so he was making a whole new striker 2nd response was it was done and sounded great and would be in the mail last Monday. Last Friday rolls around and I have not received it. Emailed him to see if he got it in the mail. Youth season opened that weekend and wanted to use my favorite striker :). Got no response. Come home today and the striker came in. Got mailed this Tuesday..... My main problem is the ivory tip is round 3/4 of the way around then basically a straight line on the other 1/4 and that side will not play on my calls at all. Other 3/4 sounds great. What would you do? Thinking writing it off as a loss.
Last edited by Jourdan_D on March 15th, 2013, 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Problem with a call maker - what would you do?

Post by Turkey Talker »

send it back....be patient
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

A couple of differnt things...

1. Most "well known" call makers have other jobs and a life that take up alot of their time.
2. Alot of call makers are not internet gurus and don't spend alot of time online, especially if they have a real job and are a well known call maker.
3. It's close to turkey season and lots of well know call makers are busy for several months leading up to turkey season. Heck there are call makers that have waiting list that are years long.
4. The guy replaced a broke product for free and you still complained.
5. It is really not that hard to round the entire tip on a ivory tip striker. Put a piece of 120 grit sand pape on the upper portion of your thigh while you are sitting in a chair. Push the tip of the ivory striker down with enough pressure to make an indention in your thigh, hold the other end of the striker between your palms and rub back and forth until the tip has the shape you want. If you can not take a piece of sand paper and shape the tip of a striker the way you want it, you have bigger worries than the striker tip shape.
6. And a cracked ivory tip striker will still work. I have one ivory tipped striker I dropped on my tile floor a few years back and cracked the tip, it still runs and sounds fine.
Jourdan_D

Post by Jourdan_D »

SCtrkyhntr wrote:A couple of differnt things...

1. Most "well known" call makers have other jobs and a life that take up alot of their time.
2. Alot of call makers are not internet gurus and don't spend alot of time online, especially if they have a real job and are a well known call maker.
3. It's close to turkey season and lots of well know call makers are busy for several months leading up to turkey season. Heck there are call makers that have waiting list that are years long.
4. The guy replaced a broke product for free and you still complained.
5. It is really not that hard to round the entire tip on a ivory tip striker. Put a piece of 120 grit sand pape on the upper portion of your thigh while you are sitting in a chair. Push the tip of the ivory striker down with enough pressure to make an indention in your thigh, hold the other end of the striker between your palms and rub back and forth until the tip has the shape you want. If you can not take a piece of sand paper and shape the tip of a striker the way you want it, you have bigger worries than the striker tip shape.
6. And a cracked ivory tip striker will still work. I have one ivory tipped striker I dropped on my tile floor a few years back and cracked the tip, it still runs and sounds fine.
1. Never asked him to stop his life to make me a striker.
2. Pretty sure he knows how to check email and his response to my other emails were quick except for the no response on the last email. Plus he has a website where he sells his suff and updates it daily......
3. That's why I sent the striker off months ago
4. He replaced it with a defective item... Never asked him to fix it for free offered to pay to have it it fixed or buy a new striker.
5. Might have to try that but don't feel I should have to fix something I originally paid for
6. Glad yours worked mine didn't.
Last edited by Jourdan_D on March 15th, 2013, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Its frustrating . I think its one of those things. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have had many strikers go bad.
I see your point but I would try to get the new one right before I threw it in the trash.
The one thing I know for sure is I own so many strikers because they truly can make a call or brake a call.

Hope you get it right. :thumbup:
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Whatever man. There are three sides to the story, yours, his, and the truth. I just don't see getting this upset over a striker tip. I mean when you really consider the time it would take to fix that yourself, a half dozen could have been shaped to your preference in the time you made the first post. And I don't care what the shape is, if ivory is sanded it will play on a pot call...flat, rounded, or otherwise.
Jourdan_D

Post by Jourdan_D »

SCtrkyhntr wrote:Whatever man. There are three sides to the story, yours, his, and the truth. I just don't see getting this upset over a striker tip. I mean when you really consider the time it would take to fix that yourself, a half dozen could have been shaped to your preference in the time you made the first post. And I don't care what the shape is, if ivory is sanded it will play on a pot call...flat, rounded, or otherwise.

No need to take things personally their bud. Seems your out for blood. Did i come on here and call the guy out saying Call maker , intest name here, had my striker for 3 hours and is not done yet? No, I was asking an opinion on to email the call maker or let it ride and chalk it up as a lose. If you don't have an opinion on one of the two hit the back button and look at a different thread. :thumbup:
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

I think you are reading more into it than what is there.lol I take very few things in life personal and zero of them come from an internet forum. I just don't understand how you feel it is a loss. Sounds like the striker works fine on 3/4 of the tip and the other 1/4 could be rounded to match in 15 seconds.
Gobblerstopper

Post by Gobblerstopper »

Jourdan_D wrote: 1. Never asked him to stop his life to make me a striker.
2. Pretty sure he knows how to check email and his response to my other emails were quick except for the no response on the last email. Plus he has a website where he sells his suff and updates it daily......

i am aware of how to check email. I do have a website. It has been updated three times in the last year. One of them was last night.
3. That's why I sent the striker off months ago

Yes you did. I had plenty of time to do the striker. I only do ivory tipped strikers a couple of times a spring and I held off until I had several to make at one time. I did run into a problem with fixing yours and the sound of it, so I decided it was best to start over with it and pitch the old one.
4. He replaced it with a defective item... Never asked him to fix it for free offered to pay to have it it fixed or buy a new striker.

I'm not sure what happened to the tip of the new one. The jig I use to round the tip does the entire tip at one time. I would really like to see a picture of it?
5. Might have to try that but don't feel I should have to fix something I originally paid for

I will get a check out to you tomorrow for the $35 that you originally paid for the striker. I would still like to atleast see a picture of the tip though. I'm curious as to how it happened.
6. Glad yours worked mine didn't.
Bottom line is that I dropped the ball in repairing the striker in a timely manner. Having just moved last fall and having a new addition to the family has slowed things down a bit and sometimes when I think I am going to make it to the post office and don't. Due to my work schedule, it may be 4-7 days before I am even off work when the post office is open.

Sorry again that it has happened this way and I will get the money out to you. The striker tip can be rounded to any shape you would like in no time. Ivory is softer than wood and easy to sand. it sounds better to me when sanded down to 400-600 grit. Andy
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Good on you Gobblerstopper. I don't know if I have ever seen one of your strikers but a $35 for an ivory striker is a steal. You offered a service that alot of folks wouldn't. PM me your website info, I might be interested in one of your ivory tipped strikers.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

ivory tip + slate = DEAD BIRD

Return to “Call Makers”