Pot call Rebuild

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
Mastevt

Pot call Rebuild

Post by Mastevt »

A buddy of mine called and asked if I could fix one of his favorite calls, that he dropped and broke. I thought, what the heck, I'd give it a try. The call was a store bought, HS Strut Triple glass. So I took it apart, miced everything, and made a new pot out of some walnut, and reglued it back up with the original parts. Was really pleased how it came out. The sound quality was even better than the original. I'm guessing because of the wood pot verses the plastic. Here's some pics, before and after.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pot call Rebuild

Post by Turkinator »

Amazing!
Fdept56

Post by Fdept56 »

I’ve got one I’m wanting to do the same thing with, I just haven’t built up the courage yet. Did you make the pedestal the same diameter? It seems awfully large to me but I don’t know a whole lot about building calls yet. Also did you put the slots back in it?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

And let’s here a sound file!
Good job on keeping his memories alive!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Mastevt

Post by Mastevt »

Fdept56 wrote: February 1st, 2019, 11:05 am I’ve got one I’m wanting to do the same thing with, I just haven’t built up the courage yet. Did you make the pedestal the same diameter? It seems awfully large to me but I don’t know a whole lot about building calls yet. Also did you put the slots back in it?
I made the inside as close to identical as I could. I did not take any pics of the inside for various reasons I won't get into. Used the same 2 pieces of glass for soundboards on the inside. And of coarse the surface. About the only thing differant, other than the material used in the pot itself, was the glue I used. They used what I'm sure was silocone. I could wrong, but it pulled off with ease, and stretched like a rubber band. It was also very soft. I use E6000 on all my calls. Better bond. Really tough to get a call apart without destroying it. As for sound? I think my version sounded better. So did Erik. How I know is, I found one on amazon, and bought it, just to compare it. Now mind you, the origional did sound good. I just like the sound better out of mine. Something about wood, verses plastic. I've made pots out of acrylic, and cast, and don't like the sound out of them either. I'll take a good hardwood pot call any day over a mass produced plastic call.
Mastevt

Post by Mastevt »

hoobilly wrote: February 1st, 2019, 11:44 am And let’s here a sound file!
Good job on keeping his memories alive!
Next time I get down to the farm, I'll stop by Eriks, and get a sound file.

Return to “Call Makers”