Gene's turkey call

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Gene's turkey call

Post by Turkinator »

I accidentally purchased a Gene's turkey calls glass pot call on eBay. Listed as an Enticer wet one. Was told before it shipped of the error. I went ahead and took it. I can't find much information on this brand. Saw he was out of Charleston WV. Anyone on here tried his calls?
alpha burnt

Re: Gene's turkey call

Post by alpha burnt »

I think his name was Gene Blackshire? I remembered seeing him at the Hunting and Fishing expo in Charleston years ago. He had a line of calls from diaphragms to pot calls to hooters if I remember correctly.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Never tried any. I think his specialty was personalized glass calls with pictures in them.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Gene Blackshire, known as Blacky to most everyone, made all manner of turkey calls over nearly 45 years (Gene told me he got his first business license for Gene's Turkey Calls in 1975). Pots, boxes, mouth calls, hooter, crows, predator calls, ect. The whole biz. He also made many calls and components for other bigger companies which marketed under their names. He also did a lot of personalized picture pot calls as mentioned. He made many calls over the years and most were pretty solid hunters. His pots were usually very strong with the right striker combo. Personally, I am a big fan of his slate pots. He was listed in Mr. Earls Mickels first book on call collecting. He retired from the callmaking business last year due to health reasons. Sad loss. A super, super man and one heck of a turkey hunter, Gene supported about every good cause that came along. Proud to call him a good friend.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I had two of his pot calls. One Is a personalized call that is a keeper. The other one was conditioned and was vest worthy. Fine man to deal with too!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

He turned a purpleheart striker for me years ago. I have no idea what was different about it but it was by far the best sounding striker on a glass/crystal call I ever used. I lost it a few years ago. I’ve lost a lot of strikers but never missed one like I miss that one.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Drahts

Post by Drahts »

Gene made the calls I used for guiding for over 30 years, and still use hunting today. They are some of the best sounding calls I've ever ran a striker across and they have been the death of hundreds or turkeys. I bought the last of the components Gene had for the calls and have been
making them since. They sound just as good! Broke my heart when he told me he had to close up shop, a better man, a more godly man I do not believe there is.

Return to “Call Makers”