Looks Iowa is a go

Jaybird, Shooter, Bonemonger, Gobblenut, Chatterbox
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Looks Iowa is a go

Post by Jaybird »

Wasn't planning on hunting the home state, due to no private land, and tired of getting busted on public by hunters. However, on our anniversary Marsha and myself did a little scouting, and it was very productive. Found a road pounded with Turkey tracks next to a pretty good size of Public land. Checked with DNR on the boundaries to the Private, got maps printed, and it looks good for Marsha and myself to get a couple of birds. Besides the Turkey tracks, ran scores a fresh good sized Bobcat track, and seen some Turkeys in a field. Pictures are on my gallery, being they are too large to post on the site, which is irritating.
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Looks Iowa is a go

Post by Grumpy »

Good deal and good luck.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Hunting Public in Iowa is a challenge. A guy beat me to the Public by a minute, and we talk about where we will be hunting, and good to go. I have multiple Tom's gobbling on Private with a reasonable distance of my location, one in particular. Most fly down to private, but this Tom flies down to my side, so good to go. I can tell he is strutting in the field just out of sight, but he gobbles his head off to every call. Around 8 am, I can tell he is getting closer, and I feel I got a good chance at this one. Then bam, one shot and I know the other hunter took his bird down. Because of the sparse woods in that area, my bird saw the other Hunter getting his bird, and that was the end of that hunt. After 3 more hours, packed it up and went to bed. Tomorrow, being a weekend, every Public will be stacked with hunters.
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Man that would be so irritating. Around here a bottle of Crown Royal will get you on private land many times, or a bottle of Wild Turkey bourbon 101. After I shot my bird I went back to the ranch 1 week later with a bottle of WT 101 and told the rancher I had killed on of his turkeys and came to replace it and gave him the bottle, he had a good laugh and said to come back and hunt deer or turkeys anytime. I don't hunt deer.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

We just do not have the amount of Public land to accommodate the amount of hunters. Private is tough to get permission to hunt because of family hunting, land leasing, lack of habitat, and negativity to hunting because of Deer hunters carried over to all hunters.
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I will agree with that about the deer hunters, many acres have been closed here because of some idiot shooting at deer and killing a cow or a horse. They never look beyond the deer and see the cows in or near the brush.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Here it is driving Deer leading to trespassing on adjoining properties, as well as the poaching. The desire to shoot a big Iowa Buck brings out the worst in many hunters.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

The Public must have got pounded this weekend. Only heard 2 birds gobble on roost, then after fly down, nothing. Good thing is both were together on Public vs the more used Private for roosting. Around 9am I saw one of them come on a field I was at, 200 yards away and he strutted around an hour. He pulls that routine tomorrow he will be dead, because that is where I am setting up early.
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good luck, I hope he cooperates for ya. :thumbup:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Mushroom hunters killed my hunt again. I might as well hang it up, because the evil horde is out in mass.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Got to hunt a day on private for a change, and shot a Tom at 8:03 am. Another 2 year old, which hurts in the contest, but I was real happy to get him.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Meat Packers”