Roll Call and Intro

Jaybird, Shooter, Bonemonger, Gobblenut, Chatterbox
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Roll Call and Intro

Post by Shooter »

We are the Meat Packers and we have come to play!!!
We have Jay with his big 70" birds from Iowa, and Kansas, and he is always good for several.
We have me, with some decent turkeys, and everynow and then some doubles.
We have Jim"Gobblenut" in NM, and even with all of his turkeys with broken spurs, he still pulls off some bigguns!
We have Bob "Bonemonger" who hunts Ohio and PA, and always kills good ones.
And we have Mike "Chatterbox" who hunts New England, and is finally killing turkeys now! :lol:
He just needed to hang out with right people. :mrgreen:

I am Tommy from Woods Reservoir, TN. About 30 mins north of the AL/GA border.
Our property joins a big WMA, so it isn't any problem for me to get up pretty much any morn and go listening. Been hunting turkeys a little more than a year now,.... pretty much as long as I can remember,...lol
Ain't nothin better than talkin trash to a hot Gobbler. Beats the hell out of sitting in a deer stand watchin the Squirrels for hours on end!
GobbleNut

Re: Roll Call and Intro

Post by GobbleNut »

Good intro, Tommy! I think you summed the team up well!
I'll elaborate a bit on myself, just so the team has a clear idea of who the "weakest link" is...
My name is Jim Bates. I live in Las Cruces, New Mexico,...which is in the desert in the south-central part of the state about 40 miles north of El Paso, Texas and the Mexican border. I am 62 years old but, in all honesty, think I can get around like a forty year old (not sure about that, cause I can't remember back when I was forty at this point :D )
Our turkeys around here are primarily Merriams that live in our higher mountain ranges, which are about two hours drive in any direction from where I live. Our local birds don't score well in the scoring system used,...a really big Merriams here will score in the mid-sixties, and most mature birds are in the mid-fifties. I have seen ZERO live, multiple-bearded birds out of thousands that I have looked over here in nearly five decades of hunting. There is no chance of me killing one in NM.
...However, there is hope. I have trips planned to Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Oklahoma this spring, and if the stars were to align properly, might end up in Kansas and/or Washington, as well. I am hoping that I will be competent enough to kill a good bird or two in my meanderings to those places,...and be able to add a higher-scoring bird to our team total than I will probably kill here locally.
Regardless, I know my teammates have got my back,...just like last year!
Jim
bonemonger

Post by bonemonger »

Bob checking in, ready to put PIGLIPS back in his place. should have more time to hunt this year. hunting P.A. and Ohio again this year. hope everyone has a safe and successful season.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Jim, you NEED to hunt Kansas, and I know a guy who rack and stacks birds that score over 65, and for a future Merriam hunt is available cheap :D
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Jaybird wrote:Jim, you NEED to hunt Kansas, and I know a guy who rack and stacks birds that score over 65, and for a future Merriam hunt is available cheap :D
As Dances With Wolves would say,....."Good Trade"! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

GobbleNut wrote:
Jaybird wrote:Jim, you NEED to hunt Kansas, and I know a guy who rack and stacks birds that score over 65, and for a future Merriam hunt is available cheap :D
As Dances With Wolves would say,....."Good Trade"! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I am looking at last 2 weeks sometime in April. I eyeball weather and go if it is looking good. Are you available then?
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Jaybird wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:
I am looking at last 2 weeks sometime in April. I eyeball weather and go if it is looking good. Are you available then?
If you decide to come down this way at that time, you are most welcome to do so. Because of my prior commitments this spring with already scheduled hunts, I doubt seriously that I will be able to fit any more out-of-state hunts in this year. I will take a rain check for those Kansas birds, though!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Jim, or any of you guy's,... when you come through TN, give me a shout. Be more than happy to get ya'll to swing by, and go gobblin!!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Shooter wrote:Jim, or any of you guy's,... when you come through TN, give me a shout. Be more than happy to get ya'll to swing by, and go gobblin!!
Would love to before my knees totally give it up, but you are a bit out of my territory.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Shooter wrote:Jim, or any of you guy's,... when you come through TN, give me a shout. Be more than happy to get ya'll to swing by, and go gobblin!!
If you ever do a Western swing let me know. We have lodging when you are on the road, and you could hunt Kansas with me.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

We'll be there sometime on the 28th, Tommy. It looks like you're about a hundred miles east and south from where we will be hunting near Holladay on Kentucky Lake.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

That must be very near Land Between the Lakes.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Got updated info on our TN hunt today. Turns out we will be hunting just north of Eagle Creek WMA. I have been pouring over maps of that area today. Any of you Tennessee boys have any thoughts on Eagle Creek? I'm also looking at Browntown, Laurel Hill, and Yanahli WMA's as possibilities since they are all relatively close together.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I've heard of all of them, but never hunted any of them.
Vaturkey is gonna come down on the 30th for a day, cause they don't allow hunting on his lease near Nashville on sundays.
Hard for me to go anywhere else when I have more turkeys than I can deal with, less than 5 mins from the house.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Is Chatterbox on this team? He hasn't checked in, and every year he is getting more involved in youth baseball, and hunting less.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I know he is around. I see him posting on at least one other site. I think he will show up before too long. If not, we can PM him. I'm pretty sure his is hunting this spring.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Chatterbox here!
Sorry for the late intro, been wrapped up with a new job, and baseball is ramping up, but I will be good for a few days this spring!
Can't wait to bust a noggin', but it won't be till May 3rd for me. Good luck to everyone starting soon!

Return to “Meat Packers”