1 Box

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

1 Box

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

If you had one box to carry who's would it be ?

I am in bad need of a box call or so I think I am..Was looking forward to going and picking one up from Al Shoemaker,well he won't be attending the convention this year..So now I'm back to the draw board and need help..Should I just call and order one from Al or do I wait until the convention so I can play with one ?
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 1 Box

Post by davisd9 »

Al Shoemaker is a great one to go with. He will not do you wrong. Another good one is Albert Paul. Personally, I would just order from Mr. Al and he would probably have it ready in less than a month, but it is a busy time of the year.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

That is one call I have never set down and learned to truly play... Sure I can make turkey sounds on them, but in the hands of someone that can jam out on one :shock:

If I could have one I want my damn QB Mini Boat Paddle back that I had since I was 12 and lost.. New one I purchased sounds like garbage.
bayou sportsman

Post by bayou sportsman »

Hi I am new to the forum, this is my first post, the site was recommended to me by my buddy Scott Hook. I thought this would be a good place to start, being that I have a little experience on this topic. I personally have and hunt with two box calls by Mr. Al Shoemaker and there are as good as you can get, I have many custom calls by multiple call markers that cost more than twice the money, but none any better than the S&S boxes. Al is a great guy and will work with you to get the sounds you are looking for, a true custom box call maker. I highly recommend S&S if looking for a truly good sounding quality box call.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

bayou sportsman wrote:Hi I am new to the forum, this is my first post, the site was recommended to me by my buddy Scott Hook. I thought this would be a good place to start, being that I have a little experience on this topic. I personally have and hunt with two box calls by Mr. Al Shoemaker and there are as good as you can get, I have many custom calls by multiple call markers that cost more than twice the money, but none any better than the S&S boxes. Al is a great guy and will work with you to get the sounds you are looking for, a true custom box call maker. I highly recommend S&S if looking for a truly good sounding quality box call.
Welcome aboard have heard some great sounds come from SS Boxes.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

Bob Harwell or Steve Mann
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

1 Box

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Thanks for all the input guys..I contacted Al today and pulled the trigger on one..Also talked to Albert Paul today,I plan to stop and see him at the convention...Hope to stop and see Steven Mann if he has a booth as well.
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
drum817

Post by drum817 »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote:Thanks for all the input guys..I contacted Al today and pulled the trigger on one.
You made a GREAT decision in my opinion!!! :thumbup:
FREEDOM AIN'T FREE !!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Sorry that is an unanswerable question to a box call lover like myself. I have tried to come up with an answer but I am unable.
chendricks10

Post by chendricks10 »

My favorite Box Call out of those I have seen, used, heard, would have to be the Lynch World Champion. I have 2 of them but recently started to buildmy own. But if I were going to buy a box it would definitely be the Lynch.
Don't hunt to make a kill that last a moment, Hunt to make a memory that will last a lifetime!
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

Gobbler wrote:Sorry that is an unanswerable question to a box call lover like myself. I have tried to come up with an answer but I am unable.
So true. So many good boxes, so few toms. :?
joshua

Post by joshua »

Love my Mann made call. Gonna be death come April

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Camp Callers Unfair Advantage
M220ga

1 Box

Post by M220ga »

Albert Paul makes a very nice box.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422744643.391611.jpg
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I don't know exactly how many box calls I own. I've never counted them all and I have calls from almost all of the big name call makers. The best sounding call i own is from Pat Strawser. Hands down sounds like a hen. #2 is from Scott Whitter.

Joe
Eph 2:8-9
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

This is a great topic and I've been thinking about it for 3 days. If I am west of the Mississippi River I'm carrying my Butternut/Cedar Steve Mann paddle. If I'm at home in SC my Albert Paul Cypress/Walnut has dealt many a death.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Hustlin Hen by Billy White
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

Each year I seem to develop an attachment for a particular call and use that one most of the time. This system seems to work. This is the 1 box. :struttin:
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote:If you had one box to carry who's would it be ?

I am in bad need of a box call or so I think I am..Was looking forward to going and picking one up from Al Shoemaker,well he won't be attending the convention this year..So now I'm back to the draw board and need help..Should I just call and order one from Al or do I wait until the convention so I can play with one ?

My choice ios a box from Scott Gainer in your home state ,,I dont go huntin without it !!!
britton40

1 Box

Post by britton40 »

Cedar / butternut paddle call by Steve Mann.
HartClemson99

1 Box

Post by HartClemson99 »

Albert Paul, Steve Mann or Lamar Williams. 3 great calls made by great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huntindawg

Post by huntindawg »

For me, the Junior Robinson/Doug Camp style of box has more hen in it than any other I've ever heard. If you can find one of the older Southland calls, they can be had for a much better price than anything that says Camp on it.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

The one that calls them in to the gun every time! Not much help!
3toe

Post by 3toe »

David Halloran purpleheart/cedar. 100% pure turkey. I'm surprised mine hasn't grown feathers yet.
gobbler336

Post by gobbler336 »

i sure like my wh real hens

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”