The call

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

The call

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Obviously from the poll folks carry a wide range of different stuff afield.. I think everyone will agree the conversation and back and forth with the gobbler is more important than the actual call used... We have all had experiences and seen the articles where a guy works a bird, he will not budge, he pulls everything out of his vest and finally the last call he pulls out the gobbler breaks to the music and comes on death march...

How often do you kill or call in a gobbler and positively attribute success to the actual "sound" of the call.. Whereas you tried others but when you struck this device the whole game changed.. Do you believe the success was only a result of the sound of this device or the gobbler finally caved and it just happens this specific device was in your hands when it happened.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: The call

Post by redarrow »

Not sure if this is what you mean Tom but most of the time I have success with a hung up bird it's because I purred to him.Seems to be the deal clincher more times than not.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

It's hard for me to tell at this point. Early on, when I used way more, different types of calls, than I do now, there were quite a few birds I attributed to the Morgan call. Nothing was working, hit the Morgan, kill a turkey (obviously not quite that simple, but you get what I'm saying). I caught on pretty fast, and that's about all I use now. It's impossible for me to say if any of my more recent (within the last 10 or so years) birds could have been called up using any other type of call, I'm certain some of them could have been. I'm also pretty sure some of them could not have been. I've also seen similar results with a trumpet or wing.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

redarrow wrote:Not sure if this is what you mean Tom but most of the time I have success with a hung up bird it's because I purred to him.Seems to be the deal clincher more times than not.
Nah i meant more along the lines say you went to a purr, were purring on a mouth call, he would not budge, switch to purring on pot, like magic he marches in.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

If the OP question is specific to a bird that hung up, and a change of the call made the difference I would say a different call can and does. If the bird is hung up for whatever reason, going quiet then a different sound from a different call has fairly often closed the deal or at least changed the current terms and conditions of the stalemate at hand.

To the OP point, I would add the following - I troll big ridges with big timber on big public ground. I may stop and call every 100-150 yards and found countless times a gobbler was quiet to the sound of a pot or long box but would gobble to a trumpet or mouth call, or any change up of the aforementioned.

A strike of a gobbler from a "strike of the device," a particular device over another possibly being a suction yelper, scratcher, long box, etc., seems to indicate a gobbler wants to hear a particular pitch or rhythm. I may strike a bird with a trumpet after everything else failed, and trying those callers again they still fail until I hit the one that particular one he first answered to.

I'm long past the days of lugging an 80 pound vest full of everything I own to guarantee versatility, but I do carry a few different call types to ensure I have a change up plan when needed. And when trolling for gobblers, if they hit a particular call over another, it seems continuing with the call they tripped on often brings the deal to some point of closure (whether a tag gets filled or I get busted).
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I don't buy into "the call" to much. I do as far as getting one to shock gobble. But to get one to commit to good yelping on a box and not to good yelping on a trumpet or other call, I'm not a believer. If your better on one than the other then it makes sense to me. What I am a believer in is a turkey being a turkey. Most hung up birds hang up because of the hunters position, and switching calls won't fix that. You may wear him down, but I don't think it's because of one call or another.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I think at flydown time the toms will no doubt fly close to where they hear a hen.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: How often do you kill or call in a gobbler and positively attribute success to the actual "sound" of the call.. Whereas you tried others but when you struck this device the whole game changed.. Do you believe the success was only a result of the sound of this device or the gobbler finally caved and it just happens this specific device was in your hands when it happened.
I've seen this happen too many times to believe it was just a coincidence. Whether it was finding a call in the vest to get the gobbler to respond to or simply flipping over a mouth call from the raspy side to the clean side, sometimes I think they are looking for a particular "sound". Not really sure why that happens...maybe the gobbler believes he is hearing a new girl in town or maybe it's an old flame that he just has to go see.

I saw three gobblers in a field once leave two hens to come looking for me after flipping over a mouth call from the raspy side to the clean side. Watched them come from 150 yards.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

It has happened a few times that I know for sure.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Waddle Whacker wrote:It's hard for me to tell at this point. Early on, when I used way more, different types of calls, than I do now, there were quite a few birds I attributed to the Morgan call. Nothing was working, hit the Morgan, kill a turkey (obviously not quite that simple, but you get what I'm saying). I caught on pretty fast, and that's about all I use now. It's impossible for me to say if any of my more recent (within the last 10 or so years) birds could have been called up using any other type of call, I'm certain some of them could have been. I'm also pretty sure some of them could not have been. I've also seen similar results with a trumpet or wing.
I assume you are talking about a Kenny Morgan Frictionwood caller? Mr. Morgan made quite a few different turkey calls but I think the Frictionwood was his main one.

I have 2 of those (one with the disk surface on it and one where I just call right on the wood) and worry over them like a mother hen when I take them to the woods. I would hate to lose one, but I always have one with me and handy when I set up on a bird.

My Frictionwood makes great clucks and the best purrs I have ever heard from a turkey call. Tucked in my belly, with my finger over the slot, there is nothing like it and I do believe it works quite well on turkeys. I also use it to cut, yelp and do what I call passive fighting purrs. One time I saw a couple of hens dancing around each other like they were about to go at it and they were doing a soft, not so aggressive, fighting purr. I can imitate that on a Frictionwood and have called in several "hung-up" gobblers with that call.

As to the original OP's question...I think its more what you say and how you say it than a certain call's sound. Maybe the call you just pulled out says it better...dunno. I could tell you that this one certain call has done the trick for me a lot of times, but that could be because that is the call I chose. And I chose it because I have confidence in it so I use it a lot.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
How often do you kill or call in a gobbler and positively attribute success to the actual "sound" of the call.. Whereas you tried others but when you struck this device the whole game changed.. Do you believe the success was only a result of the sound of this device or the gobbler finally caved and it just happens this specific device was in your hands when it happened.
It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. There have been a handful of times when I can absolutely say with confidence that it was the sound of that particular call that did him in.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Treerooster wrote:
I assume you are talking about a Kenny Morgan Frictionwood caller? Mr. Morgan made quite a few different turkey calls but I think the Frictionwood was his main one.
No sir, Kenny's "main" call was "The Morgan Caller", his patented tube call. That's what I'm referring to. I do own a friction wood, and you're right, it clucks and purrs with extreme realism. Mine is all wood, I'd love to have one with the disc on it.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hawglips wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:
It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. There have been a handful of times when I can absolutely say with confidence that it was the sound of that particular call that did him in.
I am about on par with this.. Like with certain gobblers when they gobble everyone takes note.. I believe there are certain hens that lead the pecking order and I think sometimes in these situations it is that hen you mimicking that makes the difference..

I wish Sal would join up and post a story on here from SD a few years back with a hen such as that.. I was in disbelief as she told me story day after day how this hen ruled this woodlot both gobbler and henwise.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I believe turkeys know each others' voices for the most part. And they know where a particular hen fits in the pecking order more or less. And I think they all know their own place in the hierarchy. So I think how we sound when we call makes a difference sometimes. And that's one reason I like to keep about 20 sounds on me when I hunt.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have switched calls back n forth and noticed a change sometimes in the demeanor and action asap on the sudden change in the call

I attributed the the change was probably a tone, pitch etc that the gobbler loved and couldn't do without the hen.

few years ago I hunted a spot that had some kids hunting it
hit the slate, nada hit the box..double nada
hit the red wasp and watched the top of his head turn white and at that point new he would die.

I also have a problem with running the same sequence and try like crazy to break myself. for that reason, I guess it has to be the actual change in sound etc
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

The call

Post by drenalinld »

I have been convinced that a different call has changed a gobbler's demeanor and got him headed to the gun many times. Difficult to prove though. Maybe his mood changed? I have many times tried to go back to a different call only to cool him off. Hal may be correct, maybe sometimes you stumble onto one that sounds like a particular hen he is familiar with. I am convinced that many times I try enough different styles and types of calls in a morning that I finally push his buttons.
savduck

Post by savduck »

I feel position is very important but sometimes, just sometimes they hear something that makes them come.

Ive experienced this a few times where birds locked up for 35 to 40 minutes and gobbled their heads off, but wouldn't move. I changed calls and they came running. Dead 5 minutes later.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”