Getting Started Building Mouth Calls

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Swamp Hunter

Getting Started Building Mouth Calls

Post by Swamp Hunter »

So if a fella wanted to try his hand at building diaphragm calls, which jig, latex, frames, etc would you recommend purchasing to learn on? I'm not wanting to get into call making for others, just for personal use. I have to run a small frame diaphragm and options are usually pretty limited so I figured I'd try my hand at this call building. Thanks in advance for the help.
GobbleNut

Re: Getting Started Building Mouth Calls

Post by GobbleNut »

Swamp Hunter wrote: March 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm So if a fella wanted to try his hand at building diaphragm calls, which jig, latex, frames, etc would you recommend purchasing to learn on? I'm not wanting to get into call making for others, just for personal use. I have to run a small frame diaphragm and options are usually pretty limited so I figured I'd try my hand at this call building. Thanks in advance for the help.
First of all, you can order the materials for building calls dirt cheap. The most often mentioned supplier is Pioneer, but there are others as well. You can easily get enough material (frames, tapes, reed material) to build 100 calls for under $100. There are a variety of frame sizes, tape colors, and reed-material thicknesses and colors, so you can get just about anything you want.

As for the actual process, you can build calls without any kind of jig or press very easily, and once you get the hang of it, you will be able to very consistently put together calls that consistently sound great. Of course, you can always order a jig or press, but some are pretty expensive,...and again, for a guy just wanting to build calls for himself and maybe some friends, they are unnecessary.
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

Jumping in on this conversation to follow along. I’ve been throwing the idea around for awhile as well Swamp Hunter. More for the idea of just being able to make my own.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Order your materials first.
Call frames: I would suggest getting crowned adhesive frames in whatever size(s) you prefer. Personally, the kids frames are too small for me, the medium frames a little too big, and the small frames just about right. (these are Pioneer products)
Tape: There are multiple colors available. I prefer an assortment of colors so I can color-code my call designs. Make sure you match the "hole size" of the tape with the frame type you get.
Reed Material: If you are not familiar with the different materials available, this can be confusing for a new call builder. Personally again, I would advise ordering several thicknesses of latex material at .004 thickness or less, down to "proph" which is generally considered to be around .0025. You will see multiple colors of latex in the various thicknesses. The color is added in the batch of latex when made, and the qualities of the batch can impact the sound qualities of the latex. In other words, some colors of latex in a specific thickness just seem to make better sounding calls for some reason,...probably due to minute differences in the latex sheet properties. Bottom line is you can get as many thicknesses/colors as you want to experiment with. Generally speaking, the thinner the latex used in the call construction, the easier a call is to use for most mouth call users.

If I was to suggest a reed material order, I would order a couple of proph colors, a couple of .003 colors, and a couple of .004 colors. That will give you a good starting point.

If you want try building calls without a press/jig, the call construction tools are very basic and you probably have all of them around the house already. You will need scotch tape, a hammer, and a sharp pair of scissors. You can build your calls on any surface that you can keep sanitary and that the scotch tape will stick to.

For anybody that decides they want to participate in this exercise, get the stuff above and then we can get into the call-making process....
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

GobbleNut, you want to put together a “how-to” video for those interested. We’ve toyed with the idea but have yet to commit
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I'll see what I can come up with. Certainly a video would be easiest to follow. In the meantime, we'll start with written instructions for those who want to get going asap.
Swamp Hunter

Post by Swamp Hunter »

GobbleNut wrote: March 17th, 2019, 10:58 am I'll see what I can come up with. Certainly a video would be easiest to follow. In the meantime, we'll start with written instructions for those who want to get going asap.
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the help.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Okay,...so I have put together these written instructions on how to make calls without a press or jig. ....Pretty long, but hopefully anybody that is interested can wade through it. Anything that is unclear, we can discuss and clarify. I will try to add some pictures/video when I have time.

You can make excellent calls using this method, but it is not as precise as press/jig call making. The one weakness of this system is that you cannot control the stretch of the reeds as well as you can with a press/jig. On the other hand, one of the strengths of this method is that you have more flexibility in stretching the individual reeds. All other factors are the same.

You will find after making a number of calls, that you can control the reed stretching process well enough by “feel” to give you confidence in the calls you make. Regardless, this method is a starting point for anybody that wants to start making their own mouth calls without investing in an expensive press.
What you will need
• sharp scissors
• scotch tape
• small mallet or hammer
• call making surface....a flat, smooth, sanitary surface that scotch tape will stick to
Call components
• reed material
• frames
• call tapes

Making Calls:
The process involves four steps:
• reed stretching
• frame setting
• taping
• cutting/customizing

Reed material usage: The latex you order will come in 1”X2” pieces (approx.). In this method of call making, you can actually cut the material in half lengthwise if you want to save material. However, if you want to “backstretch” your reeds in the center of the call, you may prefer to use the full latex piece.

Reed Stretching: The first step is taping the reed materials to your call making surface in the arrangement you desire. The reed material comes in varying thicknesses and colors. Prophylactic latex is the thinnest, and other thicknesses of latex are available (.003, .004, etc.). You can put the latex in whatever order and numbers you wish. Most calls have one to three layers of latex of different thicknesses, and are staggered with different spacing along the layered edges of the call.

Choose a reed thickness for the first reed of your call. Lay the reed, which should be about 2” long and 1/2” wide (if you cut it down the center) on your call making surface...or “board” as we will call it. I use a piece of plastic laminate countertop about 6” wide and 2’ long for my board, but you can use whatever you wish to use for this. It should be something you can keep clean and to which the scotch tape will stick. Lay your first reed down flat on the board and, using a small piece of scotch tape, tape one of the short edges down flat, putting just enough tape along the edge of the reed to grasp it.

Now, take another small piece of tape and place it on the other short end of the latex reed. Pull on the tape and reed and stretch the reed very slightly (the stretch can vary as much as you like, but remember, the tighter you stretch the latex, the higher the pitch of the call will be). Generally, you will want to put very little stretch in the reed and then tape the end of the reed down flat to your board, being careful to try to get the latex flat with no (or minimal) wrinkling.

If you are using the cut reed material and you like backstretch in your calls, you can use small pieces of tape to stretch the back of the reed down to your board to form the “smiley face” some people like. However, you will have to do this on either side of the center of the reed because if you tape it in the center, it will be in the way of the frame (you will understand this once you start assembling your calls).

If you are making a single-reed call, then you will proceed to setting the reed in the frame. If you wish to make a multiple-reed call, then you will repeat the process used with the first reed. Generally, the edge of the second reed is staggered below the first reed of a call. The distance between the edge of the first reed and the second is entirely up to you. You can put the edges close together or far apart. A good standard starting distance is about 1/16” or thereabouts but you can obviously experiment with whatever spacing floats your boat. Once again, tape both edges of the reed down over the first reed, with whatever stretch and spacing you think you want to try. Again, add backstretch if desired. Repeat with another reed, if you desire, or go to the frame setting. It is entirely up to you.

Frame setting: After you have stretched and taped your reeds down, the next step in the process is to set the reeds in the frame. Take one of your frames and bend it at the middle (at the notches) so that you are bending the adhesive-taped side of the “horseshoes” towards each other. Bend to about a 90 degree angle, and then pull off the paper covering on the adhesive side of the frame. On one end of the frame, there is a small tab that sticks out. Put the tab end of the frame down on your board and slide the tab end under the layers of the latex reeds, and between the taped ends, so that the staggered ends of the reeds will be toward the front, open edge of the frame when the two sides of the “horseshoe” are folded together. The adhesive sides of the horseshoes will be coming together with the reeds between.

(Note: You may find that the adhesive sticks to the latex when inserting the frame. If that happens, the best thing to do is to take a piece of slick paper (I just use the tape backing off of a used tape), cut it in a triangle shape just wide enough to put between the frame and reeds when inserting the frame, and then pull the paper out once the frame and reed material are positioned in place properly.)

Fold the frame down tight onto the reeds, being careful to keep the reed spacing even and with the front edge of the longest reed up against or very near the frame fold. Now, take the mallet or hammer and tap the horseshoe frame flat along its edges to seal the adhesive to the reeds. Next, fold the small tab end of the frame up over the top of the frame and tap this down flat against the call.

Loosen one of the scotch-taped ends of the latex, which should be outside of the frame on either end, and flip the frame over so that you can tap the other side of the frame flat. At this point, you should have the reeds sealed in place within the frame. Take your scissors and cut off all of the reed materials outside of the frame. You are now ready for setting the tape on your call.

Taping: Choose the color of tape that you would like the finished call to have. The tape will have a center cut-out that matches the center reed section of the call. Without removing the protective paper on the adhesive side of the tape, fold the tape in the middle (adhesive sides toward each other) and crease it with your fingers so that the center cut-out folds over to create the open area where the latex reeds will sit in the tape. Unfold the tape and carefully pull the protective paper back on one side of the fold only. Take the frame and place the front edge of the frame at the crease and push down flat into the adhesive. Now pull the other half of the tape backing off. Carefully fold the tape down over the call, making sure not to let the tape stick unevenly and create wrinkles in the tape. This is usually best accomplished by starting at the front edge of the frame and gradually folding the tape over the frame from front to back (you’ll get the hang of this soon enough). Firmly stick all of the edges of the tape together and down on the frame of the call. The next step is to trim the tape around the call in the size and shape that you like. I use a pill bottle lid as a template but there are lots of ways you can cut the tape to your liking. The call is now ready for your personal tuning and cutting.

Cutting: Calls have any number of sounds that can be created by the use of cuts in the reeds. You can experiment with different cuts on each call you make to obtain the sound that you like, or make the call easier for you to use. This method of call making allows you, the individual, to customize each call you make to your own preferences.

The cutting process is quite simple. I would advise you to start conservatively with your cuts to see what kinds of sounds you are creating with each cut you add to the call. If you are making the call just for yourself, the best thing to do is to try the call without any cuts first, to see what it sounds like. Sometimes, you will make a real beauty without adding any cuts at all, but generally speaking, some sort of cut design is needed to get the best sound out of a call.

Always begin by cutting only the top/longest reed of the call. To do this, you will most likely have to slip the scissors between the long reed and the bottom reeds. Be careful when cutting the reeds. If you accidently cut through more than the top reed, you will likely deaden the sound of the call.

As a starting point, you might make a single angled cut in the top reed at the center of the call....then try it again. Add another center cut to create a V-cut call, one of the most popular types of cuts used for mouth calls. Depth of the cuts is up to you. Start with shallow cuts and deepen them as you go, if needed, making sure to try the call between cuts to see how it sounds.

All of the most popular calls can be made by making careful cuts with your scissors in the reeds, and mainly just the top reed. The rounded edges of some calls, like cutters, “batwing” cuts, and “ghost” cuts can be achieved by grasping and stretching the area of the reed to be rounded and then cutting the reed off while stretching it. On thinner latex, you can just grasp the tab-end and pop it off with a quick jerk.

Almost every call you make will have a “turkey” in it somewhere, and often finding that turkey is found with a different cut. Go through the cut progression to find that turkey.

Tips:
• Try different latex thicknesses, and in different layers in your calls
• Stagger the reeds at different distances apart to see what that does to the sound
• Try stretching the reeds at different tensions
• Thinner latex and tight stretching generally makes for higher pitches in a call
• Thicker latex generally makes for lower pitches in a call....and calls with thicker latex generally are harder to “blow”
• Cutting makes for raspier and deeper sounds in a call. The deeper the cuts (to a point), the raspier the sound generally will be.
• Sometimes bending the aluminum frame of the call to modify how it sits in your mouth will make a big difference in the sound you get
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

I just pinch one side, with pliers, stretch, pinch other, them a little back & its done
fnsup

Post by fnsup »

GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Good links to show the process. For those not wanting to invest in a press or jig, just substitute taping the reeds down for stretching the reeds the way the links indicate. ....Works just fine, saves money.
Swamp Hunter

Post by Swamp Hunter »

My call building materials came in yesterday so just as soon as I get a little spare time I'm going to give it a shot using the tape method. We'll see how bad they sound to start with.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”