Looking For Tips On Using A Tube Call

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
fnsup

Looking For Tips On Using A Tube Call

Post by fnsup »

I just picked up my first tube call from Woodhaven, and I'm looking for recommendations or pro tips from those of you who have some time in the saddle with this type of call. I've looked at some videos posted on youtube, and can seem to reasonably yelp with it as well as gobble. Haven't quite perfected how best to cluck with it yet. Any advise on how you run this type of call and get realistic turkey sounds from it would be greatly appreciated!
Ctrize

Re: Looking For Tips On Using A Tube Call

Post by Ctrize »

Really hard for me to tone that call down hence I dont use it alott. If you got the basics just stay at it. Interested to see how many guys use one.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Same as a mouth call, just on the outside...
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Try staying "tuck" w/ your tongue rolling/popping off the roof of the mouth to cluck. Changing the lip pressure on the membrane will alter the pitch.
fnsup

Post by fnsup »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I've been testing different reed thicknesses as well which has helped to get more of the sound that I was looking for. The call comes with two thicknesses of latex to begin with, but I also have a bunch of other latex from building mouth calls laying around that I've been playing with. Will give saying the word "tuck" a try to cluck with. I've been saying the word "putt" based off a video I watch of Cuz Strickland using a tube call to locate with which I think I'm close now to being able to mimic the sound he makes.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Seems like I say “put” for a cluck...pretty sharply. I run proph on my Morgan’s, but have gone heavier with other tubes.
Ctrize-try putting a little piece of paper towel in the barrel. Not so much that it’s choked all the way down though. I leave one in mine. Start with a big piece and just tear it down until you find the volume you’re looking for. When you wanna get down on it and locate, just pull the paper out.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
fnsup

Post by fnsup »

Thank you sir! I’ll give that a try to adjust the volume. I’ll also give proph a try as well as I believe I have some pieces I purchased a while back for thinner reeds on the mouthcalls I had been putting together and testing.
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

If its too loud affle with ur hand, & practice alot, the first 100 hrs suck, lol
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Time to write a novel lol

I've run a tube 24 years, hands down my favorite call. I learned from a fella in town, very good Hunter.

I started on qb metal snuff can. Then they came with super snuff, nothing other than a film canister. Honestly when I have no more I'll scour eBay for 35 mm film Ed.

I absolutely hate calls with an o ring. I can tune a dozen tubes in time it takes 3 hands get o ring call right. I normally chnge latex 6 times a day and reuse next day when it dries.

I normally run .004 red, sometimes .oo4 yellow. Yellow tends be clearer Tuning can be tricky your building a diapragm in the woods. Practice will teach you how to run the tension. It may take a note or two, two much back off your lip pressure, too little add more. Never gonna tune em the same, it's feel.

Something I think is, tubes like a film canister. There is something about the latex being recessed a bit over o ring

As for sounds, whether a mouth call, tube, duck or goose where the air comes from. Hard to explain. It's huffed. Tick high pitch clucks, took lower. Yelps find your kee drop your jaw.

Every bird I kill most likely hears a tube
fnsup

Post by fnsup »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: March 10th, 2019, 1:13 pm Time to write a novel lol

I've run a tube 24 years, hands down my favorite call. I learned from a fella in town, very good Hunter.

I started on qb metal snuff can. Then they came with super snuff, nothing other than a film canister. Honestly when I have no more I'll scour eBay for 35 mm film Ed.

I absolutely hate calls with an o ring. I can tune a dozen tubes in time it takes 3 hands get o ring call right. I normally chnge latex 6 times a day and reuse next day when it dries.

I normally run .004 red, sometimes .oo4 yellow. Yellow tends be clearer Tuning can be tricky your building a diapragm in the woods. Practice will teach you how to run the tension. It may take a note or two, two much back off your lip pressure, too little add more. Never gonna tune em the same, it's feel.

Something I think is, tubes like a film canister. There is something about the latex being recessed a bit over o ring

As for sounds, whether a mouth call, tube, duck or goose where the air comes from. Hard to explain. It's huffed. Tick high pitch clucks, took lower. Yelps find your kee drop your jaw.

Every bird I kill most likely hears a tube
Thanks a bunch for the information provided! I saw that Primos is now selling their snuff can tube call again, and Quaker Boy is selling a version of their tube call both with variations of a snap on type of reed system. The Woodhaven that I purchases does use an O-ring and is a bit tricky to get tuned. I've got both .004 latex red and yellow along with some other thicknesses and will give those a try. May also pick up one of the Primos or QB tubes as well to see how I do with those. All good stuff! Thanks for the tips!

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”