A visit with Ralph Snodgrass - Lightning Strike Turkey Calls

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
paboxcall

A visit with Ralph Snodgrass - Lightning Strike Turkey Calls

Post by paboxcall »

What an experience! I had the chance to spend a little time with Ralph at his shop this past week. Wood chips out, turkey feathers in! I got to see and play the long box and mini boat orders that Ralph is filling and they are incredible, with awesome ranges from kee-kee to the gobble. :turkeywave:

I also got to play Snuffy's personal collection of calls from all the callmakers you see and read about on the forum - and they were some of the best of the best.

Here's a long box Ralph just finished - it's maple with inlays over one of the most beautiful pieces of sycamore. It is awesome!

Last edited by paboxcall on August 15th, 2017, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A visit with Ralph Snodgrass

Post by Hoobilly »

I have personally never tried running a long box like that. LAhunter (David Calhoun) has a long box call that he ran and man it sure brought out the gobbles.

Cant remember who made it tho..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

hoobilly wrote: August 11th, 2017, 10:43 pm I have personally never tried running a long box like that. LAhunter (David Calhoun) has a long box call that he ran and man it sure brought out the gobbles.

Cant remember who made it tho..
There should be a half dozen or more different turkey tones in a tuned long box. Pick a rail. High up it will easily kee-kee, mid rail is a young hen, further down jake yelps then at the bottom you can get raspy gobbler yelps. Clucks - Mid rail and down you can get a bunch of different clucks from young hen to the "falling acorn hitting a stump" gobbler cluck. After all that, go to the other rail and its all slightly different. Then change your grip or grip pressure on the paddle handle, and everything changes again.

Long boxes - never leave camp without one.

jmck

Post by jmck »

Sounds like a great time at ole Snoz's house John. No doubt you were at Boulder running his calls. I love mine that I have from him. Good luck to y'all this fall and stay in touch with how you are doing
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

jmck wrote: August 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm Sounds like a great time at ole Snoz's house John. No doubt you were at Boulder running his calls. I love mine that I have from him. Good luck to y'all this fall and stay in touch with how you are doing
Hey there Mr. McKamey - I got to run nearly all of Ralph's long and short boxes in his personal collection of box call makers, and yours, sir, in my opinion was right at the top! You build a killer sound in your boxes for sure!

jmck

Re: A visit with Ralph Snodgrass - Lightning Strike Turkey Calls

Post by jmck »

thanks a lot for the kind remarks about my ole noisemakers John ....

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”