sqealing hen

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: sqealing hen

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

HunterGKS wrote:Hal, Over about 35 years of spring & fall hunting, I have never heard a hen squeal. Then again, I hadn't heard a tom spit 'n drum until about 12 years ago.

A few years ago, I picked up an HS Strut catalog at the convention, I think it was the same time Salter came out with the call. The had the squealing hen call pictures as well as a new elk call. What I found interesting, they were the exact same call, at least on the outside. I have tried to find a pic online of the elk call with no luck. Have you seen/heard about the elk call?
It was a predator call
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Here's the description from the guy who made the video:
I took this footage on June 7, 2013 while doing some post-season scouting while turkeys were still vocal in high elevations of Utah. I called up this adult Merriams hen and recorded her vocalization, which at that time I had never heard before, as she tried to locate me (whom she thought was another yelping hen). Since then; however, I have allowed a pen-raised turkey hen of mine to incubate and hatch some of her own eggs. Though I have raised turkeys for 30 years, I had never allowed one to raise her own poults - I would collect all eggs for consumption, and I would hatch a few in my incubator to raise birds for the table and to maintain my small back-yard flock. I spend quite a bit of time observing the mother with her poults, and besides the "hoot" and regular "assembly yelp" that I hear her vocalize, I sometimes hear the same high-pitched yelp variation that we hear in my Youtube video. She makes that sound when the assembly yelp is not sufficient to get all the poults to immediately follow her. It seems to serve as an assembly call wherein she is very insistent that they follow her NOW.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

hawglips wrote:Here's the description from the guy who made the video:
I took this footage on June 7, 2013 while doing some post-season scouting while turkeys were still vocal in high elevations of Utah. I called up this adult Merriams hen and recorded her vocalization, which at that time I had never heard before, as she tried to locate me (whom she thought was another yelping hen). Since then; however, I have allowed a pen-raised turkey hen of mine to incubate and hatch some of her own eggs. Though I have raised turkeys for 30 years, I had never allowed one to raise her own poults - I would collect all eggs for consumption, and I would hatch a few in my incubator to raise birds for the table and to maintain my small back-yard flock. I spend quite a bit of time observing the mother with her poults, and besides the "hoot" and regular "assembly yelp" that I hear her vocalize, I sometimes hear the same high-pitched yelp variation that we hear in my Youtube video. She makes that sound when the assembly yelp is not sufficient to get all the poults to immediately follow her. It seems to serve as an assembly call wherein she is very insistent that they follow her NOW.
If he's right about it being an insistent assembly call, it might be worth learning to duplicate....

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”