Kansas/Iowa

Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Kansas/Iowa

Post by Jaybird »

Will head out Thursday for a 10 day trip, and won,t be on line unless I tag out in Kansas early. While I'm in Kansas I'll relay to my wife how it's going, and she will let you guys know. Hoping to lay down a big one in my honey hole Friday, but you never know early with the amount of Hens in that area along with the late breeding. Screams henned up to me. I love hunting that area the end of May, and haven't tackled it this early before.
ImageImageImage
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Kansas/Iowa

Post by Shooter »

Have a safe trip, and good luck with the hunting.
How many of you are going on this trip??
If they are henned up, and you know for sure, just learn to call the hens, and be very, very still until ole baseball head follows along.

Most of all,... HAVE FUN!!!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Going by myself to Kansas, and will live out of my SUV parked at the Public. However, might hunt with a local on Sunday and Monday at Private. Then come back to Iowa in a week and pick up my wife for a Southern, Iowa 4 day hunt.
ImageImageImage
JakesTasteBetter

Post by JakesTasteBetter »

Well, the Jay-man, got down to Kansas (WITHOUT ME!), at his favorite public hunting site, a little after 4:00pm.. He decided to take his gun / walk the terrain / 'feel' out the best spot to set up ambush for early in the morning... He saw several toms & hens in a neighboring private field, but,
segregated... not even THINKING about gettin' it on... no strutting... no nothing...
J, sorta slid back into a brushy timber area, and hunkered down & commenced doing a few calls...
... nothing... THEY DIDN'T CARE! They just slowly faded out of sight. After a while, he noticed, to his right, 3 toms meandering down (& away from him!) an open clearing, totally in the opposite direction from where he'd seen the others.. He wondered if they were the ones he'd seen before, & maybe they sorta circled behind him.. as he was musing over that possibility, suddenly,he noticed to his left, a young tom heading right towards him! He said, "I couldn't help myself! He was right in front of my gun!"
6:10pm 20lbs. 7/8" spurs. 10 1/8" beard.
(poor little tommy... probably never got layed.. HOWEVER, he will star in my Cajun Turkey Gumbo!!)
Congrats my might hunter! :thumbup:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

At around 7pm tagged out in Kansas, and came home this morning. A decent bird that will score in the high 64's. I cannot score anything until I get my computer running correctly from burning out the motherboard.
ImageImageImage
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang,... That was quick. You don't mess around do you?,...lol
WTG, and Congrats on some nice gobblers.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

:D Went quick for a change. Pulled in 4 pm Thursday shot a Gobbler 2 hours later. Friday was cold and nothing much happening, but Saturday was nice with a bunch of Gobblers hammering on roost. It was a fun day watching a huge Gobbler strutting in the field in front of me, who then moved to the end of the field with 6 other Gobblers and for 3 hours it was a lot of breeding going on. My set up was solid in a stand of trees located between 2 fields that I noticed birds going by on the way back to roost. So I figured if they were Henned up, I might have a chance towards evening on their way back to Roost, which is how it worked out. I had one Hen Deke out on the field, and had called letting the Gobblers know where I was. Occasionally they would look at me, and Gobble, but they wouldn't leave the strut zone. The whole group finally moved out my way going to roost, but I lost sight of them in a depression. Almost blew it because I thought the whole group had went into the woods. So I turned my Gobbler Lounger to facing the opposite direction, and started calling with my Screaming Demon. I had seen birds coming that way late, and wanted to be in position. About 15 minutes later I just knew something was behind me, and slowly turned my head to see the whole bunch out in front of me with 2 Gobblers real close coming into my Deke. I slid off my chair and used chair back as a screen to bring up my gun over the top. One Gobbler had turned away, but one was directly behind my Deke close. I didn't want to blow up my expensive Deke, so I aimed high hoping to catch the Tom in the bottom of my pattern. First shot stunned him, and he ran 5 yards, but stopped swaying, and second shot was solid. Exciting stuff :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
bonemonger

Post by bonemonger »

great job Jay, almost time for me to get after some birds. Bob
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Jaybird wrote:At around 7pm tagged out in Kansas, and came home this morning. A decent bird that will score in the high 64's. I cannot score anything until I get my computer running correctly from burning out the motherboard.
Bird came in at 66.8125: 21.5625 weight, 1.25 spurs, and 10.125 beard.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Man, there is some downright ugly weather scheduled for my Iowa trip: cold,snow/rain, windy. We've got one day (Sat) to get it done, if I can even get my vehicle back where I want to go, because of the bad roads. Crap!
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

If we can bag some birds in this weather, I'm going to have one of my best years ever, even though I've shot more. Going over aerials to see what I like, and where I can get my SUV to, considering the roads. Luckily my wife and me have a day to figure it out, so we'll be scouting Thursday looking at options. Still like my 1st choice from a previous scout, but have to go in from a different route being the road will be impassible. Defintely will be breaking out the pop up to wait out pouring cold rain for possible breaks in the torrent where birds will be moving. I don't like lighting so that will change my plans in a hurry, due to a close encounter from my stupidity.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Suv packed, and heading South. Will scout today to see where I can set up because of the bad roads and flash floods. Wife and me are going to hunt the same area we planned on hunting earlier, but use a different route getting in. Will set up blind where I like, and Fri-Mon try to shoot a couple in quiet moments of the Monsoon. Saturday is projected to be clear, sunny, and 58 degrees, so we got that going. :thumbup: Good luck all.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Iowa trip was a disaster. Flash floods, temps down to 26 drgrees one day, birds trying to figure out if it's time to breed or not. All the Public jammed with hunters being it was opening weekend, and people walking in on you, spoiling your set up. First time I've had issues with hunters parking with me there, and walking in scaring away any birds I possibly had on roost in the area. Wife and me packed up, and disgustedly left 2 days early. We decided we will never hunt Public in Iowa again. We don't need the aggravation. One of my worst trips ever with cost, and saw almost no birds or heard any. Computer is still screwed, so when I get it fixed I'll get my pics up, and get scores complete.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Meat Packers”