Got one.

davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Got one.

Post by davisd9 »

Not my biggest bird, but one of the most unique I ever killed. Buddy and I hunted yesterday, SC opening, and scored early. Had three birds come in and waited for him to shoot as I thought he had a good bead on them, but after 3-4 minutes of waiting the lead bird was getting antsy so I shot the back bird. When I shot I was 100% sure it was a tom by how tall he was and by his white head, all three had white heads.

Bird went down, lead bird high stepped it out of dodge and middle bird was not sure what to do so I tried fighting purrs but with no luck. Middle bird just walked off. When I get to my bird I notice he has a short beard, not a big deal, but then I look at the wings and the bars were not even, crap a jake. Then I look at the fan and it is full. :dontknow:

What did I kill a jake or a tom? Talked to dirt road ninja and my mentor and we decided it was a late born two year old, maybe not quite 2 yr old but not last spring bird. Not going to score big but it puts a bird up for the team score and hope to upgrade.

We saw and heard a few other birds throughout the day but never got one to play. Good luck to everyone!

HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Got one.

Post by HuntnMa »

It's a dead bird, woohooooo for you
savduck

Post by savduck »

Way to get us kick started. Hopefully they will be ready to play this weekend. Theyve been whipping up on me pretty good.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Had a good hunt today. Birds were gobbling all morning. We chased one bird for a couple hours and finally got in front of him. Buddy and I split up to cover more ground and he missed. Great morning that was a lot of fun!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
SnootSnapper

Post by SnootSnapper »

Good job man! I would call that bird a gobbler. I had something similar happen to me last year. I had a hot one coming through the creek in some thick palm plants. All I could see was a solid white head and the top of his fan at about 30 yards. His gobble sounded like a monster bird. After I shot I walked up and it was a freakin jake! 3" beard and nub spurs, but he had a full fan. He ate just as good as the rest though! I'm heading up to WMA land in Whitmire this weekend. I hear they're hot right now. Good luck with the rest of your season! :thumbup:
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

SnootSnapper wrote:Good job man! I would call that bird a gobbler. I had something similar happen to me last year. I had a hot one coming through the creek in some thick palm plants. All I could see was a solid white head and the top of his fan at about 30 yards. His gobble sounded like a monster bird. After I shot I walked up and it was a freakin jake! 3" beard and nub spurs, but he had a full fan. He ate just as good as the rest though! I'm heading up to WMA land in Whitmire this weekend. I hear they're hot right now. Good luck with the rest of your season! :thumbup:
Been hearing good reports for SNF. Will probably be over that way next week. They are still with hens some but they are willing to play. Good luck!

Return to “Sun Rise Phantoms”