Oh boy they are tough in SC

savduck

Post by savduck »

I got on birds all weekend. Even had the bead on ones head today, but elected not to take a bad shot.

the satillite gobblers are skittish. They acted like they have been whooped on. They hear hen talking and head the other way. We found the hens they had some gobblers with them but once they hit the ground, the lips got tight.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Oh boy they are tough in SC

Post by davisd9 »

Sorry you did not get one of our birds. Been checking boards constantly since Friday. Bunch of birds have been killed. Glad you got to get out and tango with them. I am green with envy!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
swampbird

Post by swampbird »

They aren't quite right yet...running roughly 2 weeks behind compared to last year but last year was about 2 weeks ahead of "normal" schedule.

With this warm weather forecasted all this coming week it'll be on like donkey kong within 10days
Gobbler Getter

Hebrews 12:11

NBK pro staff
Mossy Oak field staff
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

It was a rough one for me in Mississippi. I didn't even get to tangle with one and we hunt pretty good ground for this part of the world. Friday and Saturday afternoons I deer hunted them and never saw a bird. It's all good just means that there's that many more left for the rest of the season. I thought we'd have posted up a few kills this weekend. My buddy I took with me killed one Sunday morning and that was the only gobbling bird we heard. I'll be after them again Saturday morning in LA. Good luck to all hunting this week while I'm stuck working.
savduck

Post by savduck »

davisd9 wrote:Sorry you did not get one of our birds. Been checking boards constantly since Friday. Bunch of birds have been killed. Glad you got to get out and tango with them. I am green with envy!

A bunch to bushwhacked, i doubt a bunch came gobbling to the gun. more probably got shot in food plots. We got some pictures. They need about two weeks and they will be ready. We watched hens fly down to two gobblers today.....no breeding, but the gobblers are locked down.

The satellite birds probably been whooped up on all week and that's why they re acting like that.
SnootSnapper

Post by SnootSnapper »

My cousin killed a big bird on Friday, but only because the hens got riled up and lured him to the gun. Gobbling has definitely been scarce after fly down. I had crap luck all weekend. Cuz had one come to within 60 yards this morning. He was henned up too though and something spooked the whole flock. April should be hot. I'm hitting the Sumter national forest and the Francis Marion every weekend in April. Crossing my fingers! Good luck y'all.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

savduck wrote:
davisd9 wrote:Sorry you did not get one of our birds. Been checking boards constantly since Friday. Bunch of birds have been killed. Glad you got to get out and tango with them. I am green with envy!

A bunch to bushwhacked, i doubt a bunch came gobbling to the gun. more probably got shot in food plots. We got some pictures. They need about two weeks and they will be ready. We watched hens fly down to two gobblers today.....no breeding, but the gobblers are locked down.

The satellite birds probably been whooped up on all week and that's why they re acting like that.
I can tell you of 4 or 5 that was killed at the call and not bushwhacked. I cannot speak for anyone but myself but I have no reason to think that most birds killed this weekend were bushwhacked or killed in a food plot. Birds on different pieces of land can act differently. I am sure Friday was tough with the low temps and possibly Saturday with the wind. I heard 4 gobbling Saturday and one was hot on the limb and gobbled decent on the ground.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I too talked to my cousin in MS and he said he called up 1 gobbler and it gobbled 1 time. He said probably another week to 2 weeks and they should be hammering. Last year the weather in the south was mid 80's by this time and we were way behind. Now I think we are back to normal. I woke up to frost on the ground and 30 degrees here in middle TN. Juvenile is Saturday and the high is 40, but me and Leah will be after them with gun and video camera in hand.

Tim
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

gophert wrote:I too talked to my cousin in MS and he said he called up 1 gobbler and it gobbled 1 time. He said probably another week to 2 weeks and they should be hammering. Last year the weather in the south was mid 80's by this time and we were way behind. Now I think we are back to normal. I woke up to frost on the ground and 30 degrees here in middle TN. Juvenile is Saturday and the high is 40, but me and Leah will be after them with gun and video camera in hand.

Tim
Good luck. I agree this is about like normal. Last year things were a week or two ahead of schedule. Going to be a fun year!
savduck

Post by savduck »

It's close to normal as far as the time frame for break up into breeding flocks. What's not normal is the lack of interest by the turkeys. It will heat up sooner or later. I'm thinking the upstate should be on fire on the opener.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

savduck wrote:It's close to normal as far as the time frame for break up into breeding flocks. What's not normal is the lack of interest by the turkeys. It will heat up sooner or later. I'm thinking the upstate should be on fire on the opener.
Hope you are right. Not long now!

gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I definitely agree with the lack of interest in calling from the gobblers. The only way me and Leah got action was harassing the heck out of the hens with cutts. This weekend (opening day for me) will be warm (mid 60's) and Leah's going to let me shoot. I'm having trouble sleeping!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Youth day is Saturday and my nephew and I will be out. Will start off in mid 40s and warm up to mid 60s, should be a great day. Monday (opening day) is supposed to be the same but getting to the high 60s. I gave up sleep a week ago.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Good luck. It's starting to heat up a little but I'm hearing they have still been acting the same way as they did opening weekend....at least down near bamberg
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Things were good on Thursday in Bamberg Got a couple texts from a gentleman I know on a club down there.

The gentleman's bird was 20 lbs, 10" beard, and 1.5" spurs and the lady's (his wife) bird was 19 lbs, 10" beard, and 1.25" spurs.
Attachments
Mr. and Mrs. SP 3-27.jpg
Mr. and Mrs. SP 3-27.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 9363 times
Mr. Bruce 3-27 2.jpg
Mr. Bruce 3-27 2.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
savduck

Post by savduck »

Talked to Ricky today. He said he got 8 text of kills down that way today.

Return to “Sun Rise Phantoms”