Head Steppin !

All about the 2016 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Head Steppin !

Post by GLS »

Pete, boot + shiv. Gil
doublegobble1

Head Steppin !

Post by doublegobble1 »

I am a neck stepper too. Just what I do to stop the flopping.
Last edited by doublegobble1 on June 10th, 2016, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I used to danged-near beat the shot charge to the turkey's head and get a boot on 'em asap, but over the years you might say that I've "mellowed." Either that, or I'm getting old and slow, with knees that hurt just standing up. :D

Anyhoo, these days I usually either sit still, or walk out to the bird....in either case, ready to shoot again if need be. If the head's up and his neck ain't flopping out of control, then that changes everything and a boot-stomp is coming. Also, in hilly country I might head-step just to keep from having to walk downhill to retrieve him (there's those achy knees, again), and when guiding kids I like to encourage them to "go get a boot on his neck" for the comedy that usually produces, but other than those examples I generally let 'em finish dying in peace. I don't want their last vision of the world to be some giant camo-clad spook mashing their face into the dirt.

I can't really say why, but the actual pictures of boots on heads don't do much for me. I'm not offended to the point of calling anyone out on it, but it just ain't something I'm gonna do myself. It's certainly not as bad in my eyes as grabbing turkeys by the neck before they finish dying and racing up to the camera with the bird still flopping, or over-emphatic and over-the-top celebration when you've finally succeeded in putting one on the ground. Yes, that's a great success to feel good about, but as my Grandfather used to say, "act like you've been here before."
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

If they are immobilized but doing that head up thing looking like a boxer that needs another punch, I typically run a knife through their brain. Same with waterfowl, but sometimes geese get a ride on the tilt a whirl
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

hookspur wrote:I used to danged-near beat the shot charge to the turkey's head and get a boot on 'em asap, but over the years you might say that I've "mellowed." Either that, or I'm getting old and slow, with knees that hurt just standing up. :D

Anyhoo, these days I usually either sit still, or walk out to the bird....in either case, ready to shoot again if need be. If the head's up and his neck ain't flopping out of control, then that changes everything and a boot-stomp is coming. Also, in hilly country I might head-step just to keep from having to walk downhill to retrieve him (there's those achy knees, again), and when guiding kids I like to encourage them to "go get a boot on his neck" for the comedy that usually produces, but other than those examples I generally let 'em finish dying in peace. I don't want their last vision of the world to be some giant camo-clad spook mashing their face into the dirt.

I can't really say why, but the actual pictures of boots on heads don't do much for me. I'm not offended to the point of calling anyone out on it, but it just ain't something I'm gonna do myself. It's certainly not as bad in my eyes as grabbing turkeys by the neck before they finish dying and racing up to the camera with the bird still flopping, or over-emphatic and over-the-top celebration when you've finally succeeded in putting one on the ground. Yes, that's a great success to feel good about, but as my Grandfather used to say, "act like you've been here before."
Nothing wrong with the way you show respect to a great bird. Your points are well taken. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The forty yard dash and standing on its neck used to be part of it. Might even gobble a little myself. Also part of it was unloading the gun before crushing the skull with the butt. Hardly ever have to do that anymore. A dense pattern centered inside 40 drops them. They might flop a little a few minutes later, but if not disturbed in some way there; s not even that. I like to sit back and drink it all in.

Besides, there is likely another turkey or three standing nearby that would be best left unconditioned as to what follows all the ruckus. Jakes especially will stand silently watching.
Gobble

Post by Gobble »

I have always ran up and grabbed both legs and stepped on the head so they don't mess up any more feathers than necessary when flopping. With TSS some of my runs have turned into walks.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I used to run like a fool toward them. At some point I finally figured out that was more dangerous than it was worth and I was more likely to get a second shot, if necessary, if I was either still sitting or up and standing still. The majority of flopping is a turkey that is already dead. If his head is up that's a different story, but there has only been a few occasions where a boot on the head was necessary. If I'm worried about condition of the bird, and I usually am, I'll use both hands and grab him by both feet and hang him there while he does his flopping. This can be rough on your hands if he's got good spurs and I've found that out the hard way more than once, usually by grabbing both legs with one hand.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

hobbes wrote:I used to run like a fool toward them. At some point I finally figured out that was more dangerous than it was worth and I was more likely to get a second shot, if necessary, if I was either still sitting or up and standing still. The majority of flopping is a turkey that is already dead. If his head is up that's a different story, but there has only been a few occasions where a boot on the head was necessary. If I'm worried about condition of the bird, and I usually am, I'll use both hands and grab him by both feet and hang him there while he does his flopping. This can be rough on your hands if he's got good spurs and I've found that out the hard way more than once, usually by grabbing both legs with one hand.
I learned long ago to avoid hand to hand combat with a turkey. If the head is still up, I have a radical solution - I shoot him again. Very seldom have to do that since I left lead behind, but I have a few times. I carry a dove load instead of a prison shiv. :)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
hobbes wrote: I carry a dove load instead of a prison shiv. :)
Steve, do you have room in your cart for a guillotine or in your vest for a stainless steel wire garrote? Either is quieter than a dove load. ;) Gil
poorcountrypreacher

GLS wrote:
hobbes wrote: I carry a dove load instead of a prison shiv. :)
Steve, do you have room in your cart for a guillotine or in your vest for a stainless steel wire garrote? Either is quieter than a dove load. ;) Gil
I don't carry either Gil, but those are great ideas. :)

I gotta tell you just how much I admire a man who carries a shiv in his turkey vest. I am not creative enough to come up with an idea like that. And if you ever get sent to the Big House, you will already be experienced enough to survive well in there. I'll be an easy target. :)

But seriously, I don't have to worry about noise in AL with our one a day limit. I'll think about something quieter for my next trip to GA.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Steve,
I'll bet you've heard more than one bird or two gobble at a shotgun blast. Noise doesn't seem to bother them as much as motion.
One of the best shock gobbling noises around here on a local military base is an M1 Abrams' HE round impacting.
Gil
poorcountrypreacher

No doubt movement scares them more than noise. That's one reason I've never worried about shooting one again. Since it will be at least the next day before I can hunt the area again, i don't mind a finishing shot.

I remember shooting one decades ago and after a couple of minutes of me trying to stomp his head with him flopping around, I realised he might recover enough to run off. I quickly shot him in the head with the turkey load that was in my gun and then had to carry out the bloodiest turkey you can imagine. Now I back off to 20 yards or so and use the dove load. I didn't have to use it this past season; the little Yildiz killed them all dead. I did use one the year before. He wasn't going anywhere, but I could see the 1 and 3/8" spurs he had and didn't wanta mess with them. Woulda been the perfect time for the shiv.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Other than a scar or two between my right thumb and forefinger I've never had much problem with hand to hand combat with a turkey after shooting him. I don't typically pick one up that's doing anymore than what I'd consider postmortem nerve movement (his head is lifeless yet his wings and legs move........he's dead). If it requires chasing and tackling him, I'll just stop and shoot him again.
Cove

Post by Cove »

I agree with several on here, boot/ head pictures just don't do it for me. Never liked it. I let them die in peace while standing nearby. If he's flopping, I pick him up by his head. It seems to accelerate the process, possibly because his body weight is pulling down on the neck further separating the crushed bones and such. I like good pictures so I try to keep him "put together." I also hate tailgate pictures, pictures of gobblers that were obviously not well taken care of after the shot, overly smashed heads, pictures of gobbler parts (just the beard/spurs/ fans), gobblers on driveways/ pavement or in the garage. :toothy7: I've been told I'm weird but I'm okay with that. :toothy7:
poorcountrypreacher

Cove wrote:I agree with several on here, boot/ head pictures just don't do it for me. Never liked it. I let them die in peace while standing nearby. If he's flopping, I pick him up by his head. It seems to accelerate the process, possibly because his body weight is pulling down on the neck further separating the crushed bones and such. I like good pictures so I try to keep him "put together." I also hate tailgate pictures, pictures of gobblers that were obviously not well taken care of after the shot, overly smashed heads, pictures of gobbler parts (just the beard/spurs/ fans), gobblers on driveways/ pavement or in the garage. :toothy7: I've been told I'm weird but I'm okay with that. :toothy7:
Not weird at all - you make good points. And you sure make a lot of good turkey pics.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Cove wrote:I agree with several on here, boot/ head pictures just don't do it for me. Never liked it. I let them die in peace while standing nearby. If he's flopping, I pick him up by his head. It seems to accelerate the process, possibly because his body weight is pulling down on the neck further separating the crushed bones and such. I like good pictures so I try to keep him "put together." I also hate tailgate pictures, pictures of gobblers that were obviously not well taken care of after the shot, overly smashed heads, pictures of gobbler parts (just the beard/spurs/ fans), gobblers on driveways/ pavement or in the garage. :toothy7: I've been told I'm weird but I'm okay with that. :toothy7:
Not weird at all - you make good points. And you sure make a lot of good turkey pics.
I agree with Preacher. If that makes you weird, then I am weird as well (but that's a forgone conclusion anyway :roll: .) I have stepped on a few heads but haven't/won't take any pics. Something else that irks me is those that "decorate" their mounts, usually deer, with Christmas lights & such. To me, that's disrespectful to the animal.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I personally hate pictures of a dead gobbler laying on a cooler next to my truck tailgate ! LOL :dontknow: :roll:
Cove

Post by Cove »

timbrhuntr wrote:I personally hate pictures of a dead gobbler laying on a cooler next to my truck tailgate ! LOL :dontknow: :roll:
I assume you are referring to my picture showing my living arrangements while on the road. If you found that distasteful, my apologies. I did it more to illustrate the way I do things which I am often asked about. If you view that photo the same as a gobbler laying across a tailgate then we would just have to agree to disagree.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Cove wrote:
timbrhuntr wrote:I personally hate pictures of a dead gobbler laying on a cooler next to my truck tailgate ! LOL :dontknow: :roll:
I assume you are referring to my picture showing my living arrangements while on the road. If you found that distasteful, my apologies. I did it more to illustrate the way I do things which I am often asked about. If you view that photo the same as a gobbler laying across a tailgate then we would just have to agree to disagree.
I think he was just pokin' a little. Check out the emoticons (or what ever the hell they're called) at the end of his statement.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Cove wrote:
Sorry I couldn't help it I guess if I put a bed in my pick up I can take a pic of a dead gobbler there ! I just don't follow sometimes what is ok and what isn't and what excuse I need to justify it .

I started to take a pic of the gobbler I killed on the back of my pick up tail gate years ago after a great hunt as it was about to start raining hard and a tornado was approaching and I wanted to take a quick pic before I closed the tailgate in case it got wet and I couldn't get any good pics later ! It showed up the birds colours, spurs and beard as well as the size of the bird with the size of tailgate plus for some reason I just liked it. Now I find out its distatefull and this is another reason I post very few stories and pics anymore I would hate to inadvertently offend someone !!!

As far as head steppin I was told that is a turkey hunting tradition and the thing to do after the shot. But I guess it is distasteful too ! Thats why I deleted my pic I'm just out of the loop with the new politically correct way of doing things in most of life and now even in hunting I guess !
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I really don't give a hoot what people think of my pics when I post them with a turkey, if they don't like it don't post. pretty simple. But as far as head steppin ive stepped on a few before. nothing wrong with that. on forums its everybodys opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I love steppin on heads ! :thumbup:
Cove

Post by Cove »

timbrhuntr wrote:
Cove wrote:
Sorry I couldn't help it I guess if I put a bed in my pick up I can take a pic of a dead gobbler there ! I just don't follow sometimes what is ok and what isn't and what excuse I need to justify it .

I started to take a pic of the gobbler I killed on the back of my pick up tail gate years ago after a great hunt as it was about to start raining hard and a tornado was approaching and I wanted to take a quick pic before I closed the tailgate in case it got wet and I couldn't get any good pics later ! It showed up the birds colours, spurs and beard as well as the size of the bird with the size of tailgate plus for some reason I just liked it. Now I find out its distatefull and this is another reason I post very few stories and pics anymore I would hate to inadvertently offend someone !!!

As far as head steppin I was told that is a turkey hunting tradition and the thing to do after the shot. But I guess it is distasteful too ! Thats why I deleted my pic I'm just out of the loop with the new politically correct way of doing things in most of life and now even in hunting I guess !
The beauty of the whole thing is you can do it your way, I can do it my way. I don' t think anyone ever said you were not allowed to take pictures how you liked or do whatever you liked after the shot. So have at it, your way. If I don't like them, very well, if you don't like mine, very well. I for one, wouldn't leave my gobbler in the bed of my truck to get rained on. . . but here again, another difference in the way we handle our business.
Cove

Post by Cove »

Also noticed in the original post you asked for pictures of boots on heads. I didn't have that so I should have carried on without comment. I assume I was feeding off the other replies. Lesson Learned. :silent:

Return to “2016 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest”