2014 Turkey contest

All about the 2013 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2014 Turkey contest

Post by guesswho »

Shooter wrote:LMFAO!!! You're a Riot!
I have my moments. Especially if I miss my med's for a day.
GobbleNut wrote:Dammit!....That was just a lucky guess, Dude! ..She promised me that she hadn't told anybody else!... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
GobbleNut wrote:I can be my own team all by myself, kill two NM Merriams worth 500 each, and win the contest going away! I'm goin' with that one.
Let me guess. The team name will be the SPAP Masters. :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

GobbleNut wrote:I can be my own team all by myself, kill two NM Merriams worth 500 each, and win the contest going away! I'm goin' with that one.
Let me guess. The team name will be the SPAP Masters. :lol:[/quote]

Don't you have some gazinta's or some spying to go do Jethro?! :mrgreen:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Right now I'm spying on my neighbors. They don't have a cluse I'm a Double Naught.
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

guesswho wrote:
Shooter wrote:LMFAO!!! You're a Riot!
I have my moments. Especially if I miss my med's for a day.
Darn it Tommy! Stop encouraging the guy! Jethro's like a buzzin' little housefly around here as it is now! :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

And like a fly, I'm not real active until there's a lot bull doody :D
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

guesswho wrote:And like a fly, I'm not real active until there's a lot bull doody :D

"bull doody"... :laughing3: :laughing4: :laughing6: :laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing5:
...I'm kind of partial to "horse patootie" myself! :lol: :lol:
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

I have been reading this thread with quite a bit of interest.
Now everyone knows I went through a 4 year drought hunting those loud-mouthed birds.
When I finally got a chance to connect and harvest a mature gobbler, I thanked the Good Lord that He Blessed my hunt with success.
I hunt for me. If I harvest a great bird, with great scoring numbers, that's fantastic. If I harvest a good bird with good numbers, that is also fantastic.
See the connection?
Sometimes I think we get too caught up in what is really important, and that is just the pure enjoyment of hunting.
Numbers be damned! I am by no means slamming anyone. I just think that when you taste some failure, it teaches you to really appriciate your successes.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

chatterbox wrote:I have been reading this thread with quite a bit of interest.
Now everyone knows I went through a 4 year drought hunting those loud-mouthed birds.
When I finally got a chance to connect and harvest a mature gobbler, I thanked the Good Lord that He Blessed my hunt with success.
I hunt for me. If I harvest a great bird, with great scoring numbers, that's fantastic. If I harvest a good bird with good numbers, that is also fantastic.
See the connection?
Sometimes I think we get too caught up in what is really important, and that is just the pure enjoyment of hunting.
Numbers be damned! I am by no means slamming anyone. I just think that when you taste some failure, it teaches you to really appriciate your successes.
Well said.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I agree, extremely well said, Mike,...and the point is well taken. The fact remains, though, that on all of these sites, the members choose to participate in these contests. To most every person involved, they do so to have fun and interact with other members of the forums. For the contest to take place, there has to be some sort of scoring system or method used to determine a winner. Sure, we could all just say, "well, my team had more fun that yours so we are the winners". In fact, I suggest we just try that method and see how far it gets us.

We all know how that is going to turn out. So, the question then becomes, "If we are going to hold a contest, is it important that it be run equitably for all concerned?....Or are we content to have a built-in bias favouring some participants over others?" The indisputable fact it that using the NWTF scoring system, without some sort of modifiers in place to even the playing field for everyone, gives some participants an advantage in the contest before it even begins.

If everybody, or at least the majority, is happy with that reality, that is absolutely fine. Let's just continue to go with it the way it is and not worry about it. However, my point is, and will always be, that there is a cut and dry way to even the playing field for everybody and make the contest equitable. I haven't quite figured out why there is so much resistance to doing that in these contests, but hey,...it is what it is.

Regardless, I will continue to "fight the good fight" to make everybody realize that it doesn't have to be the way it is.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I talked to a guy that ran and has been in a lot of contests. He said the only time folks were happy is when they made the rule on multi beards that said you only measure the longest beard. :dontknow:

Would that make you guys happy? Also, If we measured the longest beard. We could still have some bonus points. Say 2 points for each extra beard?
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I certainly think that is a move in the right direction, personally.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Sounds good to me Doug. If I'm not mistaken, the only multi beards that i can remember from this season was from Joe and I. There may have been others, but I don't remember seeing them.
I'm OK with whatever everyone wants though. I just got permission to hunt a farm known for big multi's anyway. :mrgreen:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Just like the gubment. Cater to the minority. Well to protest I won't be participating in the contest anymore. Wait, I've never participated, so that little protest probably won't accomplish much :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2014 Turkey contest

Post by drenalinld »

Everybody gets a trophy. Oh, and a cell phone.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

drenalinld wrote:Everybody gets a trophy. Oh, and a cell phone.
:lol:
Double Naught Spy!
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I think the only requirement for next year should be that Gobblnut and Guesswho hunt together. I would even come and video that hunt. America's funniest home videos. Lol
Eph 2:8-9
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2014 Turkey contest

Post by drenalinld »

That would be a hoot, Joe. One thing for sure, turkeys would die.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Gobblenad can come hunt with me on all this land around here bought by the N"WTF".
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

TRKYHTR wrote:I think the only requirement for next year should be that Gobblnut and Guesswho hunt together. I would even come and video that hunt. America's funniest home videos. Lol
It's good to see John Travolta chiming in on the subject! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to hunt with Gwho but it will have to be at a neutral site. If he comes to our NM mountains he will probably have a heart attack trying to chasing our gobblers around with his rocks,...and I will get the blame for it. ...And if I go to Alabama, I would end up killing some of his 6-bearded 150-point pet gobblers,...and I would get the blame for that, too! It's a no-win situation for me. ...Besides, Ronnie's a Goob!! :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing8: :laughing9:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I bet this thread has more posts than the First word by next spring. :mrgreen:

I really don't see why they even recognize multibeards? I always cut the longest one off and throw the others away with the carcass and other feathers. It looks weird if there are two beards or more. I got a multibeard gobbler mounted last year but I ended up snipping the three other 5 ,6 and 7 inch beards off with some scissors. I was able to save the mount and told my Taxidermist to be more careful with my stuff. Anyway, do others even like those freaks? :dontknow:
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I'm thinking Ronnies rocks are made from the same material as David had when he slew Goliath. BTW Jimbo it's "Joey Travolta". At least thats what they called me in HS. Lol

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GobbleNut wrote:If he comes to our NM mountains he will probably have a heart attack trying to chasing our gobblers around with his rocks,...and I will get the blame for it. ...And if I go to Alabama, I would end up killing some of his 6-bearded 150-point pet gobblers,...and I would get the blame for that, too! It's a no-win situation for me. ...Besides, Ronnie's a Goob!![/color] :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing8: :laughing9:
I'm not wasting anymore time or money on Merriams. I've made three, week long trips out west to hunt them. I tagged out on all three trips without much effort. Two of the trips were on public land and one was a private ranch. Total hunting time for all three trips combined is less than two hours. 120 minutes divided by six dead birds is 20 minutes per bird tops. Ten minutes of that was walking far enough away from the vehichle so I wouldn't feel to guilty about shooting brain dead gobblers, probably done tham a favor. Plus they don't even know how to gobble. The rest of the time I watched all the other half tame critters out there, froghorn goats, mule headed deer ect. Could have killed a limit of those with rocks too. I'm probably not going to have a heart attack in 20 minutes. I'm surprised they allow people who hunt Easterns to hunt out there. A couple home boy's from here could wipe out the entire heard out there in a day and a half if they took their time.

And not all Bama birds have multi-beards. I only killed two multi-beards last year. :bootyshake: :turkeywave: :struttin: :toothy7:
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

guesswho wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:If he comes to our NM mountains he will probably have a heart attack trying to chasing our gobblers around with his rocks,...and I will get the blame for it. ...And if I go to Alabama, I would end up killing some of his 6-bearded 150-point pet gobblers,...and I would get the blame for that, too! It's a no-win situation for me. ...Besides, Ronnie's a Goob!![/color] :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing8: :laughing9:
I'm not wasting anymore time or money on Merriams. I've made three, week long trips out west to hunt them. I tagged out on all three trips without much effort. Two of the trips were on public land and one was a private ranch. Total hunting time for all three trips combined is less than two hours. 120 minutes divided by six dead birds is 20 minutes per bird tops. Ten minutes of that was walking far enough away from the vehichle so I wouldn't feel to guilty about shooting brain dead gobblers, probably done tham a favor. Plus they don't even know how to gobble. The rest of the time I watched all the other half tame critters out there, froghorn goats, mule headed deer ect. Could have killed a limit of those with rocks too. I'm probably not going to have a heart attack in 20 minutes. I'm surprised they allow people who hunt Easterns to hunt out there. A couple home boy's from here could wipe out the entire heard out there in a day and a half if they took their time.
And not all Bama birds have multi-beards. I only killed two multi-beards last year. :bootyshake: :turkeywave: :struttin: :toothy7:
Your hunts out here probably would have lasted a lot longer if you hadn't shot the first jakes you saw sitting in the trees! :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing9:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GobbleNut wrote:Your hunts out here probably would have lasted a lot longer if you hadn't shot the first jakes you saw sitting in the trees! :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing9:
From what I saw a Merriam don't have enough sense to fly up into a tree. I just figured that was in the job description for Park Ranger or Ranch Hand. Before dark ride around and put all the Merriams in a tree for the night.
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

TRKYHTR wrote: BTW Jimbo it's "Joey Travolta". At least thats what they called me in HS. Lol

TRKYHTR

"Joey Travolta". ....Got a nice ring to it! Ah yes, the disco days,....I remember them well...
:thumbup: :headbang: :walk:

Return to “2013 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest”