Butcher Block Table

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Butcher Block Table

Post by HunterGKS »

Back in 2009, I decided I needed a butcher block table to make it easier to process squirrel, turkey, deer, whatever. This is the original post from another board. Some of you may remember it.

Well, I’m pretty pleased with how my latest project has turned out. All I have to do is put the wheels on it at a later date. It will really come in handy for many years to come. The best part is that I got to use a lot of Dad’s power & hand tools as well as some of the hardware he had. Even wore his shop apron so I kept a little cleaner.

It’s amazing how a pile of scrap can be transformed with a little work. It’s not the purtiest thing nor will it ever win any awards but it will serve me well & I’m satisfied. After all, I am the only one that needs to be happy with the finished product.

The starting point:

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

The TV & Boom Box wouldn’t fit, so I had to put an 18”x12”x3” butcher block on the top & will use the shelf for storage.

The finished Butcher Block.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Butcher Block Table

Post by HunterGKS »

A week after I built the butcher block, I decided to add a knife block to 1 side. Again, all the parts were made from scrape wood I had lying around.

I thought it was pretty funny to see that German knives were made in China.

George

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Well Done ! :thumbup:
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Looks pretty handy
Momma said "kill that turkey"
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx Vaturkey & Bigspurs68. I have cut-up a lot of game on it, especially squirrels. I guess it's a really good thing that it's in my butchering room & not my kitchen, isn't it.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

On January 1, 2004 the wood industry throughout North America has ceased to produce pressure treated wood treated with CCA (chrome, copper and arsenic) for residential use, replacing this chemical with what is generically called 'non-arsenic' treatments, primarily ACQ and Copper Azole (CA), both of which contains no arsenic but much more copper.

-- These chemicals are effectively dispersed into very dilute concentrations and fixed to the cellulose structure of the wood by the pressure treatment process. The extent to which any of these chemicals leach out under typical weathering conditions is considered way under any danger levels by both US and Canadian health authorities.

-- Pressure treated wood is in fact safe to work with and safe to play on.

-- The legal actions taken against pressure treated wood tend to succeed in the media, where there is no burden of proof, but consistently fail in the health laboratories and the courts where health hazard claims have not held up to the burden of proof.
George

Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

My house was built in 2005 and the builder built a 750 square foot treated deck on the back of the house. It was pretty when we purchased the house in 2007 at 2 years old. When the deck was about 5 years old I started having rotten boards, banisters, and railings. The new treated wood isn't worth a damn compared to the old stuff. I have since painted the entire deck and am constantly replacing boards every few months. Will soon have to tear it down to posts and replace entire deck.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GC, Your issue is the exact reason that I went with composite for my deck except for the posts & joists or whatever they're called. I'd recommend composite. I've had mine for 7 years & the only thing I do is wash it with a deck cleaner.
George

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup: THAT WILL GET THE JOB DONE !!!
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Return to “DIY”