Pierogi

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Pierogi

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Anyone else love them..Whenever I am around a polish community I will pick up 4-5 dozen. A few weeks ago was with a couple and she mentioned she was Polish.. I asked "You Make Pierogis".. She replied yes she had a great recipe.. :shock:

So tonight we got together to make Pierogis... What a time consuming process.. We ended up making 80 or so, she just done making 450 this week with her family.. They turned out fantastic, we did a potato, chive and farmers cheese. Need to freeze them tomorrow..

My mind is churning as to what to stuff more with.. I LOVE Kraut peirogis they are awesome, some hate them.. Thinking a loaded back potato pierogi with bacon, cheese and chives..
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pierogi

Post by HuntnMa »

had some last night, potato/cheese ...out of a box from the frozen food section, lol....still love em. Making and eating fresh ones though would be even yummier... I bet the kraut ones would be good.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Yep, Pop is from east PA, right in the middle of all the coal mines. Part Ukrainian, part Polish. Now ya'll know what's wrong with me. :lol:
Ate plenty of them things when I was younger. Hated the potatoe ones. Like pretty much all the others though, fried up in a skillet with diced onions. My favorite Polish food is still local PA smoked and fresh Kielbasa. Have a butcher in Wilkes-Barre send me some from time to time, with some home made Pierogis along with them. :thumbup:
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

They are the best- with any stuffing. :thumbup: Fresh are the best but frozen will do in a pinch. ;)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

No season on them here, fact is I don't know if we even have those here.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I've never had fresh made pierogi before, only the frozen ones. I may not frequent the right places but its just not something I see in Tampa...
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I have a general rule, if I can't spell or pronounce it I ain't eating it. If I ever eat one I'll let you know what I think. I just googled it and saw some pictures. I might would make an exception to my rule and try one. Looks edible. I don't think I could eat 450 though.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Never had em. They don't tend to show up very often in south LA cuisine. However....I do believe I could put a hurtin on a big mess of em.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Try stuffing them with some bear meat.
You could call them "Yogi Pierogi".
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

:lol:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

guesswho wrote:I have a general rule, if I can't spell or pronounce it I ain't eating it. If I ever eat one I'll let you know what I think. I just googled it and saw some pictures. I might would make an exception to my rule and try one. Looks edible. I don't think I could eat 450 though.
Waddle Whacker wrote:Never had em. They don't tend to show up very often in south LA cuisine. However....I do believe I could put a hurtin on a big mess of em.
Yeah they are not really a step outside the box exotic cuisine.. Its dough stuffed with stuff as simple as potatoes.. They sure are tasty however when pan fried in real butter..

Like I said earlier I love Kraut pierogis.. Kraut is one of those things that is not good tasting, but for some reason you like it and are compelled to eat it. :lol:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: Yeah they are not really a step outside the box exotic cuisine.. Its dough stuffed with stuff as simple as potatoes.. They sure are tasty however when pan fried in real butter...
Sounds good to me! I'll try anything once. How bout a crawfish pierogi? A little Polish/Cajun combo. I guess that's what we call a crawfish pie, only deep fried.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Waddle Whacker wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote: Yeah they are not really a step outside the box exotic cuisine.. Its dough stuffed with stuff as simple as potatoes.. They sure are tasty however when pan fried in real butter...
Sounds good to me! I'll try anything once. How bout a crawfish pierogi? A little Polish/Cajun combo. I guess that's what we call a crawfish pie, only deep fried.
Awesome, recipe?
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

They are good eats. In Manitoba this year a local cooked us some with bacon and onions and butter. Real good.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Waddle Whacker wrote: Awesome, recipe?
It can be a bit involved, but here's one my wife has used before, probably with slight alterations somewhere along the way. And I've had em both baked, and deep fried. Both awesome if you have access to crawfish tails. Definitely worth a try. I'm sure they'd be good pan fried in butter as well.

5 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour, plus more for dusting
1 onion, diced
½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 ¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup Basic Shellfish Stock....pretty sure she used chicken stock last time.
½ cup heavy cream
1 pound peeled crawfish tails
2 dashes Tabasco
2 dashes Worcestershire
1 recipe Basic Pie Dough

1. Preheat the oven to 325. Make a roux by melting 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Stir in the flour until it is incorporated. Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the roux is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Then add the onions and cook for a few minutes more until the roux becomes golden brown.
2. Add the bell pepper, celery, salt, cayenne, black pepper, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 10 minutes more.
3. Stirring constantly, slowly add the Shellfish Stock and cream to the skillet. Raise the heat to moderate and simmer the sauce until it is reduced by half. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the crawfish, Tabasco, and Worcestershire and stir to combine. Set the filling aside; discard the bay leaf.
5. Fill your pie crusts and Bake for 25 minutes or until the pie shells are golden brown...or deep fry....or pan fry in butter. Whatever works for you.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Made about 150 more last night, this time it was easy and went fairly fast.. Made up loaded Mashed potato:Potato, Cream Cheese, Bacon, Cheese and Chives as well as Sauerkraut and Mushroom.. Of course I am partial to Kraut.

Next time its dessert pierogis.. Sal makes a killer apple pie.. Apple Pie filling, cinnamon and sugar on top, deep fry, homemade ice cream on top..
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Yer' killin' me here, Tom!! I am partial to kraut, myself, and the apple pie sounds even better!! Hell ya!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Camp Dinner”